Performance Boats Forum banner
221 - 240 of 365 Posts

·
Amber Racing Services
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
hawaiian stop giving really bad tech advise, you well hurt somebody. cyclone was just saying it in a nice way I GET TO THE POINT . :)hand
this is the best post on this web site for the past 2 months ...

HJ ... you need to slow it down a bit and realize that some of the people actually know what they are talking about ... just a little advice, you are giving information that is incorrect and it shows inexperience & can hurt people at speed.

Sorry for being direct ... but it is what it is ...

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
hey there is good stainless out there. arp stuff is good. but how are you gonna know unless it breaks?
See I'm not completely talking out my ass.:)sphss And there is other good stainless out there, you just have to know where to find it, and know people who know what they're talking about and can tell you the tensile strength of a particular bolt.

I agree with you guys 100% that cheap stainless bolts from the hardware store will shear off. They shear off right under the nut, while you're tightening them.:))eek:)) Oh, fuck! Then getting the cheap stainless back apart, that's another story. They seize up, then break.

But it doesn't matter what I say, nobody else is going to agree with me. But I don't care. I will always use stainless steel below the water line or on the bottom of the boat, no matter what anybody else says.

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
HawaiianJet is so PUNK, he don't even know he's PUNK!:)devil:)devil:)devil
Just like Duane Peters trying to roll the full pipe @ Pipeline back in the day He tried and tried,... but never pulled it off, only jacked himself up............bad!
You have said it yourself, you are new to this and are here to learn (Like all of us at some point) but you are clearly stubborn, and hopefully not get hurt or worse off Hurt anyone i enjoy boating with!

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Sorry, wasn't trying to be PUNK. I guess it came across that way. It's just that I don't trust steel below the water line.

Just keeping this from being one sided. As long as nobody gets cheap shit nobody will get hurt.

Also I have a pretty good amount of experience with broken and rusted bolts for someone my age. And I hate it more than anything else in the world. At work, it seems like I remove more rusted and broken bolts than I do anything else, probably 4 days a week. And nobody ever brings anything over right after it breaks or after they find out it's stuck. It's always after they have already exhausted every method they know. They're always beat-up, completely rounded off, bent, stripped, etc. Then they expect me to get it out for them while they wait around for a little bit.

Only new to jet boats. I've been around machine shops since I was 10. Started working under the table in one when I was 15. Was exposed to a little bit of everything in a short amount of time.

Still, nowhere near the experience that you guys all have. But still I think I'm entitled to my own opinion on this subject and not get burned at the stake for it.

Now, I'm done. I've expressed my opinion, so no more posts on this subject from me.:)hand Let's let Squirtcha? get back to his thread about his awesome boat project! Sorry about the thread jack Squirtcha?, damn I sound like a real kiss ass right here.:D

·
Glendale Arizona
2,368 Posts
Wow this thing blew up about the loader bolts. The stainless bolts and nuts are temporary. I know better (the guys are right about the loader bolts HJ).

I have an excellent source of hardware kinda like a mini-warehouse near my house and they have just about everything. The day I put the loader in they were closed and I temped it with what I had available in my parts drawers.

Also wasn't sure about how everything was going to go together and was concerned about them hitting the pan thus why so short (obviously no need to be concerned as it's no where near it, but I didn't know that at the time)

Heed their warning HJ. Use the grade 8 black oxides with double nuts liberally coated with anti-seize and change them at least once per season. There is more force exerted on the loader than any other part of the boat.

Thanks to all you guys because whether you know it or not, there's a little bit of your rigging (or a variation of it) on this thing. I'm still a backyard hack, but I'm trying to get better and I always scrutinize your work and try to duplicate it (or as close as I can with my hand tools). There are still lots of cobbled home made parts on it, but the quality is improving slowly but surely.

Now if I could only convince myself to slow down a bit more and really finish a part (sand and polish), I'd be all set.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Looks good!! I no what you mean by having to rig stuff..I'm getting close on my TX project my self.I took off this week from work to try to finish up.If my NOS button shows up tomorrow I can finish the wiring and fire motor to break in.I no I don't need it to fire the motor just wanted to finalize all wiring before firing up. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Dan i'm sorry if i stirred up the hornet's nest on these loader bolt's.But i've been there and yes i have raced plus i know the safe way of doing thing's.
Just like it was said in here use Grade 8's and antisieze the piss out of them.

JIM S

·
Glendale Arizona
2,368 Posts
Looks good!! I no what you mean by having to rig stuff..I'm getting close on my TX project my self.I took off this week from work to try to finish up.If my NOS button shows up tomorrow I can finish the wiring and fire motor to break in.I no I don't need it to fire the motor just wanted to finalize all wiring before firing up. Keep up the good work.
I've been following your build (of course). Good luck on finishing her up.

you have done an EXCELLENT job:)devil
Thanks Ralph.

Dan i'm sorry if i stirred up the hornet's nest on these loader bolt's.But i've been there and yes i have raced plus i know the safe way of doing thing's.
Just like it was said in here use Grade 8's and antisieze the piss out of them.

JIM S
Like I said before Jim, it's a good thing you brought it up. Look at all the questions it raised. I stopped into my local bolt and nut warehouser today and picked up some black oxide (exceeds grade 8 standards) along with washers and nylocks to finish my job right. I was just waiting to get the proper stuff.

It was a Sunday when I went to my local ACE hardware to pick up some other miscellaneous hardware and asked for internal wrenching, countersunk grade 8 (or better) bolts in 3" length. You should've seen the look I got. His reply was "Oh...............we wouldn't have anything like that".

Big surprise there.

Are they threaded into the intake as well as nylocks on the back?
Yes, the intake is theaded too. In fact I'm using nylocks and double nutting them. That might be overkill, but better safe than sorry.

I pretty much finished stripping the Kachina down tonight (other than the pump and gas tanks). I attempted to pick the boat up by the side and couldn't even budge it. The trailer springs and shackles kinda squeaked a little and the trailer came up, but the boat never left the bunks. The gullwing with all the same stuff installed was unbelievably easy to pick up. I'll be amazed if this thing isn't faster than the old boat, just from the weight savings alone not to mention the improved design. It's easily gotta be half the weight.

Oh yeah, forgot the honorable mention. Many thanks to Hotfish (my long time boating bro and buddy) for coming by Saturday and lending a hand for about 5 hours. Thanks Kev, you're a pal.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Dan i'm sorry if i stirred up the hornet's nest on these loader bolt's.
You didn't stir up shit. I'm the one that really started the emotional posts.:D You just stated a fact, and I said the exact opposite.:D

221 - 240 of 365 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.