Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Southern Orange County Navigate Carefully! Last night (Sun) a 22' bayliner coming back from Catalina had the wrong heading. Instead of landing at their home port (Long Beach) the inexperienced vessel operator ended up in San Clemente.

The operator was attempting to navigate around San Juan Rock (Headlands of Dana Point) he went around the rock at a high speed, unaware there was another submerged reef right behind it. Last night at 2030 hours, there was a high tide (6.4) so... a lot of the rocks and reefs were slightly submerged which is an inexperienced boaters nightmare!

Bayliner, more than 150+ yards off shore ran into a reef with 5 POB on board. "Mayday" then went out when the collision caused major damage and they stalled their engine and began taking on water. The boat was at the center of the Headlands and there was no access other than water due to the high tide. The rescue boats arrived and watched the vessel go aground onto the rocks with 3-5 swells pounding the vessel on shore. Unbelievable all 5 POB escaped the boat and scrambled up the side of the cliff to avoid being taken out to sea ( It was real rough) 3-5 rollers very consistent! 7 brave lifeguards swam to their aid with paddle boards and eventually swam all 5 to the safety of the fireboat. Rescue took over 3 hours, but all 5 are safe at home with their familes.... seen a lot, could not believe no one was hurt, injured or killed on this one.

Two things that these guys did right was... they had a hand held VHF and in the darkness, they were able to hail Marine Safety on 16 with a mayday, also they all had life jackets which definitely saved them when they were tossed into the rocky shoreline.

There are numerous rocks and reefs that pose a serious danger to Boaters along the southern OC coastline (and all along CA). Near San Clemente (west reef) is just north of the pier, and is at least 100 yards further out to sea than the end of the pier. This along with numerous other reefs are usual "slightly" submerged and can really do some damage! Good rule of thumb, if your navigating along the coastline, be in at LEAST 60 feet of water to avoid most obstructions, but better yet, read the chart! If you have any questions feel free to PM me, i'll give you the scoop on the rocks and reefs in that area, be safe out there, Kevin :)hand

·
Lord of the Drinks
2,352 Posts
Two things that these guys did right was... they had a hand held VHF and in the darkness, they were able to hail Marine Safety on 16 with a mayday, also they all had life jackets which definitely saved them when they were tossed into the rocky shoreline.
Isn't that about 50 miles off course of a 23 mile straight shot to Long Beach?

How about a compass?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Wow - inexperienced operator in a 22' Bayliner decides to go from Catalina to Long Beach at night solo... Glad they were all OK, but it doesn't sound like they were really thinking when they did this trip.....

·
Administrator
11,649 Posts
Wow - inexperienced operator in a 22' Bayliner decides to go from Catalina to Long Beach at night solo... Glad they were all OK, but it doesn't sound like they were really thinking when they did this trip.....
You would be amazed on what inexperienced boaters deem as no big deal with regards to doing things that aren't that good of an idea.

Boating at night or in fog you better have your shit together.

·
Registered
852 Posts
You would be amazed on what inexperienced boaters deem as no big deal with regards to doing things that aren't that good of an idea.

Boating at night or in fog you better have your shit together.

I think you're right. The owner probably didn't know enough to realize that what he did wasn't really a good idea. I've boated on the lakes and inside bays/harbors at night a bunch of times before, but never in the open ocean. I have heard that it's pretty fun running in the open ocean at night if you know what you're doing, but never had the opportunity to do it in my boat..

·
Don't judge me monkey...
705 Posts
Wow...get a compass heading you idiot(at least). Did that for years out there at the Islands in a 205 Four Winns Sundowner while scuba diving, before GPS was common...no problems but we never did it at night or in the fog or windy days. They are very lucky...:)sphss

1 - 10 of 10 Posts