Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I am about to take a look at a 77 21' Southwind with a BBF and berk. jet drive. I was just wondering what everyone thinks of the southwind hulls and drivetrain. Im not looking for a speed boat but a reliable boat that will get me from point a to point b. All and any info will be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Hi there,
I am about to take a look at a 77 21' Southwind with a BBF and berk. jet drive. I was just wondering what everyone thinks of the southwind hulls and drivetrain. Im not looking for a speed boat but a reliable boat that will get me from point a to point b. All and any info will be greatly appreciated
Southwind boats are one of the most copied boats in the industry and have held up to the test of time. With a 21, you definately will not see 100mph nor will you see 70 but with a 460 you will be cruising most likely 45-50 and should have no problems. Good luck and welcome to the boards. You may want to take a look at the threads about buying a jet boat and what to look for.

Cy

·
Razor Wire Militia
741 Posts
Southwind boats are one of the most copied boats in the industry and have held up to the test of time. With a 21, you definately will not see 100mph nor will you see 70 but with a 460 you will be cruising most likely 45-50 and should have no problems. Good luck and welcome to the boards. You may want to take a look at the threads about buying a jet boat and what to look for.

Cy

I agree with Cy they arn't fast but are fun to screw around in .. ohh and its a 20' never made a 21'..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the useful info!!!!! This will be my 3rd jet boat but my first southwind if all goes well. Im not looking for a speed demon and cruising at 45-50mph is plenty for me. I just wanted to make sure the hulls were up to par and not a "half ass" hull

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Thanks for the useful info!!!!! This will be my 3rd jet boat but my first southwind if all goes well. Im not looking for a speed demon and cruising at 45-50mph is plenty for me. I just wanted to make sure the hulls were up to par and not a "half ass" hull
Southwinds are deffinetly not a half-ass boat and as stated have been copied many times over! For a fact they are the most splashed hull out their! Good luck and enjoy! M

·
Crazy Eights
1,476 Posts
I recently purchased a '79 southwind 20' cruiser....one thing to do is smell for gas...mine stunk of gas really bad when i went to look at it...i thought it maybe was just the hose between the filler neck on th tank to the filler cap was rotted....turns out the tank was cracked around the filler neck. i had to pull the tanks out, have them welded then re-glass them in. more of a project then i was looking for, but overall i am still very happy with my purchase. i think the boat had seen the water only 3-4 times in the past 8 years....spend its life in a garage. its pretty immaculate for a 30 year old boat.

the problem above isnt directly related to southwind boats themselves, but could happen in any 30+ year old boat.

·
Registered
135 Posts
southwind mini day cruiser.

I love mine it's not the fastest boat but it does the job and rides half-way decent.
Did southwind put the same gel on every mini just with diffrent colors?
Heres mine a couple before and afters. Let me know what you think?

Attachments

·
Crazy Eights
1,476 Posts
I love mine it's not the fastest boat but it does the job and rides half-way decent.
Did southwind put the same gel on every mini just with diffrent colors?
Heres mine a couple before and afters. Let me know what you think?
i have seen a couple different designs.

yours looks clean!

ive been kicking around putting a swim step on mine....does yours have one?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I ordered a new one in '76 and owned the boat for almost 20 years. A friend with a Hallett was always upset that my boat had no stress cracks and his did. The boat handled like a sports car. Very predictable. Had the 460 Ford and it ran around 55-57. Not real good in rough water, tho. They are a shallow V. Should be a nice buy for you.

·
Registered
135 Posts
swim step...

Yes it has two small ones one on each side. I would recomend putting them on it gives you a place to sit when your floating down the river and helps with getting back inside the boat.

and rough water kinda sucks but it loves a slight chop about 6" or so.:)devil
mine has the original 460 in it and with 4 people and 54 gals of fuel it will run about 53-55mph.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Southwinds suck! My cruiser was a retooled version of the 20. My grangfather owned southwind from '69 till '81 and then sold it. I had my cruiser built when my grandpa passed away in '97. The mold was given to smiley of smileys fiberglass and he built boats for himself using the name Troghy Boats. He also built boat for Dana some time before the new Owner of Dana bought the company. It was a great boat and moved out pretty good for a 20' cruiser. The best speed it ever saw was 82 and that was with about 700 hp.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
It was fun going to their place and ordering the boat. I had ordered it with red on the hull, with red metal flake (hey, it was the 70s) and white pin-striping between the two. Beautiful boat. When I went to pick it up, they had put light tan upholsetry in it. I said I ordered it in white. He argued that it looked like a whore house! I said yah! They put the white in and I always had a group of folk come and look at it. Was an eye catcher at the time. I really enjoyed that boat.

Another interesting thing. I had an outboard with power trim when I ordered the boat. I talked to him about having a jet-o-vator on the pump and he said it was not needed. He was right.

·
Crazy Eights
1,476 Posts
tucked up under the interior, i found all the old paperwork on my boat....even the warrenty infomation on the original battery and tires, owner manuals for the road runner trailer, hardin marine motor, and berkeley pump.

also in there is all the order paperwork from southwind when they put the order in for the boat and the reciept for it.

it was ordered in december of '78 for $8,500

kinda cool to look through all of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can vouch for Southwind's quality. Our family boat when I was a kid was an 18' Southwind. Excellent handling boat, handled rough water very well for an 18' boat. The workmanship was beyond good.
I just bought an 18' Cheetah as a cheap way to get on the water this summer and the one thing that help me decide to make the purchase was that it is a Southwind splash so I knew it would ride and handle well...

·
Stirrin' it up!
210 Posts
Southwinds suck! My cruiser was a retooled version of the 20. My grangfather owned southwind from '69 till '81 and then sold it. I had my cruiser built when my grandpa passed away in '97. The mold was given to smiley of smileys fiberglass and he built boats for himself using the name Troghy Boats. He also built boat for Dana some time before the new Owner of Dana bought the company. It was a great boat and moved out pretty good for a 20' cruiser. The best speed it ever saw was 82 and that was with about 700 hp.

Hey Tim, who is in the backseat in the second pic?

Southwinds are rock solid. I've owned 2 of them and would by another in a second. Very well manufactured and they stand up to the test of time.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts