Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last week or so I have started getting unwanted advertising in my inbox from performance related companies. It must be coming from PB since one of the spammers was Berkeley Jet. Today it's Keith Eickert.....

Has there been a change of policy at PB to start selling my email? i am not a longtime member, just 5 or 6 months, but this is just plain wrong!!

Has anyone else gotten this sort of trash too?

·
Administrator
11,649 Posts
It is not pb.

Search is your friend.

Already at least 2 threads on this subject.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is not pb.

Search is your friend.

Already at least 2 threads on this subject.
Who is it then? And why did it start to happen now? Anyone know?

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
This is strange since I have never given my email to any other boat site but this one. Never been to Hot Boat or River Dave, but I have bought from West Marine.... Could they be the one's? Either way I feel that spamming is unethical and I NEVER do business with unethical people. It's the same way with those [email protected] who cold call you at dinner time even though you are on the Do Not Call List. They are breaking the law and who wants to do business with criminals?

I am going to take the time to telephone each spammer and ask to speak to the marketing department and tell them this. And unsubscribe too.

BTW, I just went to unsubscribe from Keith Eickert and it said it was Hardin Marine that was the spammer...

·
Registered
505 Posts
It does have something to do with this site or rdp. I have an email that I only use for forums. These
are the only two boating sites I belong to. Oh and river chat. i do not own a boat and never have
purchased boating products, yet I get the spam.

Someone isn't telling the truth. I'm just sayin.

Oh and it isn't from hotboat. Back then I used my home email.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
It's from here, it's the price we pay for the free forum.
I'm not believing it's not from anybody.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's from here, it's the price we pay for the free forum.
I'm not believing it's not from anybody.
I would tend to agree since the spammer is a big advertiser here. Just how much can it cost to run a forum? Lot's of other people seem to run much bigger operations solely on donations.... Could this be just a case of someone running a moneymaker, but not telling the subscribers?

If this is a case of a hacker selling stolen information, why isn't the security better here? And how could it happen without the operator knowing?

·
639 Posts
This is a great mystery and I'm sure everyone involved is innocent of any wrong doing. C'mon, we can trust these guys....its the boating industry! It is full of honest and credible people! :)sphss

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
Performance Boats has spammed our forum members through a company called Constant Contact. You have the option to opt out.

It involved a survey and a newsletter option.
Forum members have the option to opt out.

We have NEVER sold the list and will NEVER sell the list to anyone including our advertisers. The amount of possible revenue generated from selling the list (I think probably a couple hundred $$) doesnt warrant either the grief we would take here in our forums or the investment that we have placed in this project.

We have had requests from two competitors that were interested in our subscriber list and our forum list. Both were denied.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Performance Boats has spammed our forum members through a company called Constant Contact. You have the option to opt out.

It involved a survey and a newsletter option.
Forum members have the option to opt out.

We have NEVER sold the list and will NEVER sell the list to anyone including our advertisers. The amount of possible revenue generated from selling the list (I think probably a couple hundred $$) doesnt warrant either the grief we would take here in our forums or the investment that we have placed in this project.

We have had requests from two competitors that were interested in our subscriber list and our forum list. Both were denied.
Chris, this is quite confusing.... You speak as though Performance Boats was a different entity from the Performance Boats forum. Is it? If not in what way is it connected. I see that you are the Publisher of Performance Boats does that not mean that you run the whole show? That the responsibility for everything that happens over at the magazine is all yours. I thought the publisher hired and fired the editorial staff as well as the marketing staff. Yet you speak as if the magazine that you publish is something apart from you, how can this be?

If you are the boss then step up and take responsibility for the actions of your employees, don't act as if a 3rd party did this when you are in charge. I think you owe us an apology, not excuses.

I never filled out any survey, nor did I subscribe to any newsletter. How did Constant Contact obtain our email addresses? Did they steal them from your magazine, were they given them or were they sold by your staff?

There is more to this then you are telling us......

·
Marine Organism
12,743 Posts
As I received spam (no pointing of fingers here), I would send it to my spam folder and my email would divert all other incoming spam with the same address into the spam folder. Simple as that. I guess that is too much trouble? Some people will complain just to complain. :)eh:)

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess it's a matter of principle: if you are going to share my email with vendors have the courtesy to tell me and allow me to decide if I will proceed to sign up. I see it as a matter of ethics.....

·
639 Posts
I guess it's a matter of principle: if you are going to share my email with vendors have the courtesy to tell me and allow me to decide if I will proceed to sign up. I see it as a matter of ethics.....
I bet if you look at PB privacy policy that you agreed to when you signed up, that they reserved the ability to do what they want and change the rules at anytime without notice.

·
waiting sucks
981 Posts
Chris, this is quite confusing.... You speak as though Performance Boats was a different entity from the Performance Boats forum. Is it? If not in what way is it connected. I see that you are the Publisher of Performance Boats does that not mean that you run the whole show? That the responsibility for everything that happens over at the magazine is all yours. I thought the publisher hired and fired the editorial staff as well as the marketing staff. Yet you speak as if the magazine that you publish is something apart from you, how can this be?

If you are the boss then step up and take responsibility for the actions of your employees, don't act as if a 3rd party did this when you are in charge. I think you owe us an apology, not excuses.

I never filled out any survey, nor did I subscribe to any newsletter. How did Constant Contact obtain our email addresses? Did they steal them from your magazine, were they given them or were they sold by your staff?

There is more to this then you are telling us......

You're confusing yourself. Constant Contact is a service that a business can use to send out advertisements, bulletins, notices to their audience. I use them for my business from my own email list. You do not sell your email list to constant contact. Its a tool a business uses.
He then said we have never sold our email list. He means performance boats, PB, Performance Boats Forum, there all under the same managment (as far as I know- its a damn good guess at least). He is saying they have not sold email lists, but they have just used them for their own use (constant contact).

I'm not saying they have or have not sold them, who knows if he is telling the truth. Thats just the way I interpret what he said, let $hit throwing continue.

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
........ but as others have said, I add the address to my spam -to be seen no more.

Or, just hit the "unsubscribe" link in the e-mail and they stop sending them.

Another option for future reference, don't use your primary e-mail address when signing up for forums.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I bet if you look at PB privacy policy that you agreed to when you signed up, that they reserved the ability to do what they want and change the rules at anytime without notice.
Holy shit...look at Frank, using policies and crap!!!

Lets reload....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts