Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running Autolite AR13 plugs with my MSD 6al Box. I know the motor is running rich at low speeds and have never checked plugs after a full throttle run. Having a miss above 2500 rpm and thinking of trying next step hotter plug to help burn off excess fuel.(90% of my driving is in the 2500-3000 range) Trying to figure out next hotter heat range to use. Here's a photo of what my plugs look..

Engine: 427 + .060, 12.5:1, running tunnel with two Holley 650HP series. Don't know the jets installed at this point.

Attachments

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts
I am running Autolite AR13 plugs with my MSD 6al Box. I know the motor is running rich at low speeds and have never checked plugs after a full throttle run. Having a miss above 2500 rpm and thinking of trying next step hotter plug to help burn off excess fuel.(90% of my driving is in the 2500-3000 range) Trying to figure out next hotter heat range to use. Here's a photo of what my plugs look..

Engine: 427 + .060, 12.5:1, running tunnel with two Holley 650HP series. Don't know the jets installed at this point.
That plug is plenty hot for what you're doing. You need to fix your fuel issue and check your timing.

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts
The timing if set for 36 degrees at 3000.
If you're running around at 2500rpm, what is it then? IMO you don't need a timing curve and should just lock it in at 36 (if that's where the engine is happy). I know that's another subject, but may be relative.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think if was close to 28 degrees at 2500. IF I was to change jet size any suggestions on how many sizes to drop to lean out mixture some.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Looks like you need both. Jet change and heat range change. If I remember the AR 13 is a pretty hot plug. From the looks of the soot on plugs I would reduce the fuel. LOTS.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like you need both. Jet change and heat range change. If I remember the AR 13 is a pretty hot plug. From the looks of the soot on plugs I would reduce the fuel. LOTS.
That's what I was trying to figure out... if it would be safe to set up to the next hot plug without burning anything up.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
I think if was close to 28 degrees at 2500. IF I was to change jet size any suggestions on how many sizes to drop
That's what I was trying to figure out... if it would be safe to set up to the next hot plug without burning anything up.
Is it me, or do you think you can make that plug look beter by making it hotter. Are you under some belief that if the plug is hotter it will burn the excess fuel?

As for the timing. You THINK its 28, but you don't know. What do you THINK the timing is on you daily driver on the freeway at 2200 Rs. Think its 28?

I cannot imagine the plugs looking like that with 2 650 HPs that are jetted stock, and have their floats adjusted correctly. Just doesn't seem possible.
Also, what plug wires are you running.
What type of timing cover is on the motor?
Have you ever verified TDC on the damper against the timing tab?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think if was close to 28 degrees at 2500. IF I was to change jet size any suggestions on how many sizes to drop to lean out mixture some.
Just checked and found out that the jets are 70's unless the previous owner changed them out.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Just checked and found out that the jets are 70's unless the previous owner changed them out.
You're too funny. You THINK the timing is 28 at 2500, and you THINK the jets are 70s, unless of course the previous owner changed them out:)sphss

So you go to the doctor for a little "troubleshooting" and you tell him you THINK you head hurts, and you THINK you may have drank a little too much the night before.

I'd tell you what I THINK, but is get banned from the sight!:))eek:))

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am trying to eliminate an engine miss at 2500+. Thought this excess carbon deposit might allow for the plug to ground out along insulator to block. This picture is not my plug but mine looks very similar to it. Solid black. Some deposits on thread.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts
So what do you think a hotter plug is going to accomplish? FYI this plug is equiv. to a 6 range NGK.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
So many variables ...

So, after what Bob has said, I'll add a couple more questions.... There are so many variables to consider.
Are you trying to read the plugs after idling through a no wake zone headed for your trailer?
What temp does the engine reach under normal operation?....
Does the boat belch black smoke when you "hit" it..?
What type of exhaust? Is it black inside? Does the black transfer to your fingers? Is it a "dry", sooty black, or a wet oily black?....
Your plugs are probably fine, but they do have too much carbon built up. Where that carbon is coming from is the question....Since that isn't a picture of your plug it is hard to tell if it's fuel or oil.....
AND, how much old gas was left in the tank(s) over the winter...?
Ray

·
Registered
109 Posts
So.......................

Let me get this right if my motor is a little or I gues a lot on the fater side I can run a hotter plug and it wil burn all the fuel? So wouldn't if it was the opposite lean I could run the coldest plug I can find and it wont melt down right or am I missing something?lmao

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Let me get this right if my motor is a little or I gues a lot on the fater side I can run a hotter plug and it wil burn all the fuel? So wouldn't if it was the opposite lean I could run the coldest plug I can find and it wont melt down right or am I missing something?lmao
Yes Rebel. You are missing something.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
So what do you think a hotter plug is going to accomplish? FYI this plug is equiv. to a 6 range NGK.

I did not say a Hotter plug. I said a change of heat range. The plug in it now is probably to hot once it is fueled correctly.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts