Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
79 Sanger Picklefork
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few times a summer I pull the plugs just to check them...I noticed I always have oil around the threads. The plugs are not fowled and compression is good..is there a problem on the horizon..thanks for the information.

·
Registered
692 Posts
A few times a summer I pull the plugs just to check them...I noticed I always have oil around the threads. The plugs are not fowled and compression is good..is there a problem on the horizon..thanks for the information.
Do you have any oil leaks on the top end? Valve covers or??:)bulb

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
One of the biggest problems with an aluminum intake are leaking from the underside in the lifter valley. A small amount is pretty normal IMO. Synthetic oils seem to do this often.

Like Tom says also, if there are proper cylinder to piston clearance there will be some residual blowby..

If it uses oil when used, I would check the intake for warpage or failed gaskets. Seen it a fair amount.

Also if you run your engine pretty cool temperature wise, it will be hard to keep the oil burned off...

Probably nothing wrong...Mine does it as well (11.0:1 468 BBC)

GT :)hand

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
It's common for the plugs to be wet like that, but if your tuneup is right you should be burning off the first two threads nearest the business end, ei, they should be dry. If your not, your probably to rich. F1~

·
79 Sanger Picklefork
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No problem. Its normal from my experience to have oil on a few of the threads.
This is most of the threads on each plug..also if it is running a little rich, how does that effect or cause oil on the threads? Thanks..

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Probably would have some oil no matter how lean you ran wouldnt you?
You run it lean enough and your spark plugs are going to be the least of your worries! Properly tuned and they will all be wet but the first two. When they start to take on a redish brown color you have gone to far. When you start to see silver dots, you have gone to far! Typically your boat will be laying over at this point as well. F1~

1 - 11 of 11 Posts