Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me some info on this brand? I'm going to look at it this weekend, but can't seem to find any info on it. Also, isn't it strange for the steering wheel to be on the right side of a v-drive?

I'm a v-drive newbie if you can't tell...

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Can anyone give me some info on this brand? I'm going to look at it this weekend, but can't seem to find any info on it. Also, isn't it strange for the steering wheel to be on the right side of a v-drive?

Thanks in advance.
Oh Hell, its a boat buy it,pour money into it and have a good time. Your screen name is killing me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, they keep me in a cage, and feed me little pills to keep me calm...:)grn

Anyway, the guy doesn't want much for it, So I probably will buy it, and stuff a ton of money in it. The problem i have is, I live in Indiana and v-drives are few, and far between. So I think I'll jump on it...

But, if anyone has any info i would appreciate it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sharp Shooter, Thanks for the info. Is $1500 too much to pay? He says it runs good. It has no speedo, but he said the way it sits it runs about 55.

What about the steering wheel on the right? Every one I've ever seen, it was on the left.

Some more pics...

Attachments

·
Just Me
4,107 Posts
it looks like it just needs a lot of cleaning and some polishing... ok maybe a lot of polishing too. Not a bad price for a running boat.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Buck Smith built a pretty good boat and a very knowledgeable guy, especially about propellers. He worked at the Nordskog Competition Center in Van Nuys for a few years. The reason the steering wheel is on the right (starboard) side is because the engine is turned around in the boat -- a few of the early SK and SS circle boats did this (some of the all-wood Patterson boats were set up like this) thinking they made better left hand turns because of the prop torque.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Buck Smith built a pretty good boat and a very knowledgeable guy, especially about propellers. He worked at the Nordskog Competition Center in Van Nuys for a few years. The reason the steering wheel is on the right (starboard) side is because the engine is turned around in the boat -- a few of the early SK and SS circle boats did this (some of the all-wood Patterson boats were set up like this) thinking they made better left hand turns because of the prop torque.
So the thought process was, in order to compensate for the prop torque, use the drivers weight as ballast..? That would mean the prop on this boat turns clockwise? Or, am I even close on any of this???

·
Registered
364 Posts
My steering is on the r-side in my 64 Howard, alot of the older boats say 66' back came this way. I have seen Rayson crafts, Stevens, Sangers etc come that way and not just for circle racing. There were alot of drag boats that way also. You get used to it.:)

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Yup, gotta Sanger that's right hand drive. Motor flipped like this Spico and runs off of the snout. Mine also has only one fuel tank, also on the right side.

In the pix, what is the 1" or so, line/hose coming up the left side (to the rear of the motor)? Thru-hull to a belt driven pump? Never seen that!

Carl

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yup, gotta Sanger that's right hand drive. Motor flipped like this Spico and runs off of the snout. Mine also has only one fuel tank, also on the right side.

In the pix, what is the 1" or so, line/hose coming up the left side (to the rear of the motor)? Thru-hull to a belt driven pump? Never seen that!

Carl

I was wondering the same thing. Water p/u, and belt driven pump maybe???

·
Just Me
4,107 Posts

Carl
Looks like that is how they routed the water line coming off the cav plate. Notice the pipe fitting looking water pickup? I think the inside looks similar and that hose is there to avoid the exhaust. Guess they didn't have braided line back then. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, A friend of ours just purchased this boat last Wednesday, He cleaned it up alittle and it looks pretty good. It does need paint but dosent look to bad. It does run pretty good too had to fix a valve cover leak and a few other things. Took our boat out and this one Saturday It didnt run to bad but at a certain speed it wanted to bounce a bit. one of the turnbuckles on the cav plate is missing so when he replaces it we can solve the problem.

·
Son Of A Has Been Member
356 Posts

Thanks in advance.
The first flat my dad had was a Spico...............Quite a few use to have the wheel on the right back then.... glass decks sure were ugly back then too.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The Patterson I drove the steering was on the right. A hairy feeling going into a turn wide open, felt like you were up in the air. I often wondered how one would exit when flip, well I rolled over , thru me out over put my head thru the deck. The steering was changed to the left side.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts