Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Purple headed member
7,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where would one find out the speed records from the early 70's?
Anyone know the first time anyone broke the 140 mph barrier in unblown fuel?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Where would one find out the speed records from the early 70's?
Anyone know the first time anyone broke the 140 mph barrier in unblown fuel?
I don't know about the speed record but I'm sure you and Sharp Shooter have the record for v-drivers posting in the outboard forum.

·
My Peace
670 Posts
On topic, is there a good warehouse for this kind (or really, any kind) of information about boating? There's a whole bunch of info stored on these boards, but it all comes up in anecdotes usually unrelated to the thread... Then there's you human boat computers like Sharp Shooter and Harlan, but you can't exactly google those databases... There's a few other places, like We Did It For Love, that have a lot of information, but they are nearly impossible to use- the information isn't arranged in a very meaningful way, so you can't really find what you want, just a lot of cool stuff. At least I can't!

I've thought a lot about building just such a site, but I don't know where to get any seed data. But it sure would be cool to have a place where you could look up:

Speed: >140
Class: Unblown Fuel Flat
Sort By Year

Which would get you a whole listing of runs, with the first listing (and first person to do it) at the top... Even better you then see which boat and driver did it, and can then go to that info. We could store Hull IDs and cross reference them to builders and models and back to timeslips.... Hell, we can collect things like stuff from the "Old Ads" thread, and link that to boat manufacturers, so you can click on Beisemeyer and see all the ads that have been submitted for them.

I can totally do this if I had the data, or it could be a Web 2.0 thing where people can submit this data themselves as they find it. What do you think? If I build it, will people come?

·
Upstanding Member
12,715 Posts
On topic, is there a good warehouse for this kind (or really, any kind) of information about boating? There's a whole bunch of info stored on these boards, but it all comes up in anecdotes usually unrelated to the thread... Then there's you human boat computers like Sharp Shooter and Harlan, but you can't exactly google those databases... There's a few other places, like We Did It For Love, that have a lot of information, but they are nearly impossible to use- the information isn't arranged in a very meaningful way, so you can't really find what you want, just a lot of cool stuff. At least I can't!

I've thought a lot about building just such a site, but I don't know where to get any seed data. But it sure would be cool to have a place where you could look up:

Speed: >140
Class: Unblown Fuel Flat
Sort By Year

Which would get you a whole listing of runs, with the first listing (and first person to do it) at the top... Even better you then see which boat and driver did it, and can then go to that info. We could store Hull IDs and cross reference them to builders and models and back to timeslips.... Hell, we can collect things like stuff from the "Old Ads" thread, and link that to boat manufacturers, so you can click on Beisemeyer and see all the ads that have been submitted for them.

I can totally do this if I had the data, or it could be a Web 2.0 thing where people can submit this data themselves as they find it. What do you think? If I build it, will people come?
I have piles of old magazines, race programs and sales brochures that I use for research and accuracy when working on video projects.

Many of the guys who "lived it" are present right here in these forums. You can also refer to www.boatracingfacts.com or show up at the boat racers reunions.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Not sure of the number but my next door neighbor used to work on and drive War Eagle UFF and they held some records '74ish I think.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Speed records

I just built the boats!!!!!
I do not have any special records lists. I have very few magazines. Bob Foley has APBA circle and straightaway records. APBA does not have any drag race records information.
HARLAN ORRIN

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
The answer is...
War Eagle with Bob Dice in the seat...
SDBA...146.62...August of 1974 in Austin Texas
NDBA...143.08...September of 1974 in Long Beach(upped his own record from 138.88)

Note...the SDBA/CDBA clocks were notoriously fast(6-8mph) versus the NDBA's and think about the density altitude in Austin in AUGUST! So in reality he probably broke 140mph for the first time in Long Beach.

·
Speedy Member
6,785 Posts
The answer is...
NDBA...143.08...September of 1974 in Long Beach(upped his own record from 138.88)

Note...the SDBA/CDBA clocks were notoriously fast(6-8mph) versus the NDBA's and think about the density altitude in Austin in AUGUST! So in reality he probably broke 140mph for the first time in Long Beach.
THAT right there is quailty deductive reasoning!!! You were obviously sitting in the front row in your classes in high school Reggie.:D

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Always loved this class. Clive "No Jive" with "My Boat 2" was always a front runner along with John Annin and the "Whisker Biscuit" to name just a couple more..Of course Daves favorite and with good reason the "Ben Had" was always there to do battle and won there share of races also. Was just a fun class to watch :)devil

·
Antique Member
906 Posts

My Hondo, the "California Shaker", 1975 world record holder, ran 147.? or 148.something. I can't find the actual record setting article, but I did find an advertisement header:
Turlock 149.5, Bakersfield 147, Long Beach Marine Stadium 146.12
I also had articles on a 152 and a 153 run, but I have no clue where they went. The ET's sucked compared to what we are running now. The 149.5 was at an 8.72. I ran much better than that on blown alcohol!?
This hull is heavy, but it is quick. I really wish I had the funds to restore this back to original. It ran an injected fuel hemi, built by Kuhl. I am the third owner. Bought the hull only in 1979, restored it over 5 1/2 years, and finally put it in the water in 1985. Been a blast every since.
Denis

·
Purple headed member
7,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The answer is...

That's the info I was looking for.
Did Bob Dice own the boat as well as drive it?

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
My Hondo, the "California Shaker", 1975 world record holder, ran 147.? or 148.something. I can't find the actual record setting article, but I did find an advertisement header:
Turlock 149.5, Bakersfield 147, Long Beach Marine Stadium 146.12
I also had articles on a 152 and a 153 run, but I have no clue where they went. The ET's sucked compared to what we are running now. The 149.5 was at an 8.72. I ran much better than that on blown alcohol!?
This hull is heavy, but it is quick. I really wish I had the funds to restore this back to original. It ran an injected fuel hemi, built by Kuhl. I am the third owner. Bought the hull only in 1979, restored it over 5 1/2 years, and finally put it in the water in 1985. Been a blast every since.
Denis
Bob Clark in Mike and Ray Donnell's "California Shaker" upped War Eagle's record in September of '75 to 147.61. They also went on to win the NDBA high points that year.
Gotta remember that the way we started drag races back then were totally different from today, hence the ET difference...It only takes 1100 horsepower to run 8.0's in a medium layup boat today...highly doubt that the Fuel Hemi in the Shaker was that weak!!!:D:D Or think of it the other way...there is no way an 1100hp engine could push a boat "through the eyes" at 147mph??
PS...If you would like to sell the boat...Billy and I may have a buyer....

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
That's the info I was looking for.
Did Bob Dice own the boat as well as drive it?
Boat was owned by the Onstott brothers...Larry and ???(it'll come to me)
Dice took over the driving chores from Clive Hughes in 1975/76 in his UFF "My Boat" He finished up driving for Hughes in the Blown Alcohol Flat class driving "My Boat 2" and running in the high 160's...
In my book Bob Dice is one of the top 5 dragboat flatbottom drivers of all time...

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Always loved this class. Clive "No Jive" with "My Boat 2" was always a front runner along with John Annin and the "Whisker Biscuit" to name just a couple more..Of course Daves favorite and with good reason the "Ben Had" was always there to do battle and won there share of races also. Was just a fun class to watch :)devil
Not many people know(or care), but, one of the Litchfield brothers "BenHad"s is still the fastest unblown non-runnerbottom flatbottom in history at 138.66 mph in the "Liquid QuarterMile"...
Just sayin...:D:D

·
Purple headed member
7,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I care..

Not many people know(or care), but, one of the Litchfield brothers "BenHad"s is still the fastest unblown non-runnerbottom flatbottom in history at 138.66 mph in the "Liquid QuarterMile"...
Just sayin...:D:D
Speaking of Litchfields, there is a clean one for sale on Craigslist right now.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts