Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Got Beer?
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small bet going with my son.... he is interested in getting involved in Speedway Racing (HE has no idea the costs to do this sport $start up$ :|err $ongoing$).. I told him he would need a Racing license to actually race, he said that racing at Costa Mesa Speedway does not require a license...

I have searched and have not found anything specific that you need or don't need a license. I have a phone call into The Costa Mesa Speedway office... in San Clemente...

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Distinguished Member
5,788 Posts
Not sure about speedway, but my son and I race flattrack here in NorCal. AMA card and D36 are all thats required for sportsman racing. To race AMA Pro (what there is left of it), you need an expert license but by the time you get to that level, you know what's involved. I'm betting speedway is about the same.
I've never seen speedway except on TV/YouTube. A bunch flattrackers we race with are going the the final speedway event of Auburn's "Fast Fridays" on 10/9. Supposedly all the fast Europeans come over and it's a blast. Really looking forward to seeing this madness. For me though, I want a rear brake and a full size front wheel :)sphss....

·
Steady Rollin
1,172 Posts
I want to get into it too. I've priced out a few bikes, not looking to expensive, but i'm my own wrench also. If the kid can turn a wrench he'll save a few dollars.

·
Registered
56 Posts
He will need a license, once you get him the bike and stuff just take him out practicing. He will have to ride in front of an official which usually is before or after a race, they will see if he's good enough and the good part is they actually have him lay down the bike like in a racing incident. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I use to go watch about 16 years ago every weekend and some weekends they had the jrs racing.They were all kids and riding the smaller bikes.Havent been out in while to watch though so dont know if they still race them

·
Got Beer?
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He will need a license, once you get him the bike and stuff just take him out practicing.

ME get him the bike? :mad: Unless the devil is freezing that is not happening - I am all about helping when the NEED is there.... to clarify, he is 23 years old, if he wants toys at this age, he buys them not me.

Now if he was 5 years old and wanted to race, and IF I was into that type of stuff, you bet I would do it, but as he got older the bucks would have to start coming from him..... a responsibility thing!

·
Dreaming of snow
1,053 Posts
I believe you need to be licensed. If you go out to the next event, you can talk to a buddy of mine. He has been doing it for damn near 15+ years. His name is Jimmy Fishback. His trailer says "fishback racing". Im sure he can answer most of your questions. He is very good at it, has had many wins and sponsors doing this. Also raced privateer in SuperX too, so he knows the in's and out's of both.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Not sure about speedway, but my son and I race flattrack here in NorCal. AMA card and D36 are all thats required for sportsman racing. To race AMA Pro (what there is left of it), you need an expert license but by the time you get to that level, you know what's involved. I'm betting speedway is about the same.
I've never seen speedway except on TV/YouTube. A bunch flattrackers we race with are going the the final speedway event of Auburn's "Fast Fridays" on 10/9. Supposedly all the fast Europeans come over and it's a blast. Really looking forward to seeing this madness. For me though, I want a rear brake and a full size front wheel :)sphss....
This is my experience as well, Dave, if you were involved in short track racing I am guaranteeing we know some of the same people and have chewed some of the same dirt....My uncle was/is a flattracker from way back and now races vintage M/C...BTW they run Speedway races at the Sacramento Fairgrounds a couple times a year...

We have an indoor flattrack here in San Jose once a year...Good times!.

A District 36 card and an AMA membership is all I have ever seen for the racing events we did, but Speedway may be a different ball of wax...:)bulb

BTW, tell him NOT to break a leg...:D

GT :)hand

·
Large Member
2,150 Posts
I use to go watch about 16 years ago every weekend and some weekends they had the jrs racing.They were all kids and riding the smaller bikes.Havent been out in while to watch though so dont know if they still race them
What was the name of the big bearded guy that used to lead the "more beer, more boobs & more bobbin'" chant? Good times for sure................:)devil

·
Happy Member
1,399 Posts
I believe you need to be licensed. If you go out to the next event, you can talk to a buddy of mine. He has been doing it for damn near 15+ years. His name is Jimmy Fishback. His trailer says "fishback racing". Im sure he can answer most of your questions. He is very good at it, has had many wins and sponsors doing this. Also raced privateer in SuperX too, so he knows the in's and out's of both.
I went to the river with that guy in the 70s and he was fooking crazy then !!!!!

·
Distinguished Member
5,788 Posts
This is my experience as well, Dave, if you were involved in short track racing I am guaranteeing we know some of the same people and have chewed some of the same dirt....My uncle was/is a flattracker from way back and now races vintage M/C...BTW they run Speedway races at the Sacramento Fairgrounds a couple times a year...

We have an indoor flattrack here in San Jose once a year...Good times!.

A District 36 card and an AMA membership is all I have ever seen for the racing events we did, but Speedway may be a different ball of wax...:)bulb

BTW, tell him NOT to break a leg...:D

GT :)hand
I grew up around short track in the Salinas area in the 70's. My parents wouldn't let me ride/race back then so I was "pit support". I got into flattrack racing in the late 90's when my oldest boy wanted to start racing. We are still very involved with it. My younger son and I currently race most of the D36 events. Tonight it's a TT in Lodi. We have a couple TT500 based flattrackers and a CRF450. A lot of fun and it keeps my son and I connected.
We've been to all the Indoors at SJ. Next season, my son wants to ride on Amature day. So did you make it out to the mile in Stockton a couple weeks ago? If not, you missed a great couple day's of flattrack racing. 7000 screaming fans, killer cushion track and a lot of cool bikes. We didn't ride this year and it was a mistake. We'll ride next year for sure....

·
Distinguished Member
5,788 Posts
Try if first.....

Almost forgot... Anyone in NorCal that wants to try flattrack motorcycle racing, we have an entry level class that's super cheap to race. In fact, we can even provide a bike for a race or two to check it out. Show up with basic safety gear, purchase AMA/D36 cards and you're racing. PM me or check out http://junkyard250.org/ for details.
Anyone with basic motorcycle skills can enter and it's a very safe racing environment for beginners. The races have a staggered start based on heats so everyone has a fairly equal chance to win.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts