Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard that you shouldn't re-use spirolocs. The guy who tore this motor down took all of the pistons off the rods.:)sphss Is it safe to reuse the spirolocs? Or are they considered disposable? We're talking about free floating 927 pins in JE pistons.

·
Administrator
16,888 Posts
I've heard that you shouldn't re-use spirolocs. The guy who tore this motor down took all of the pistons off the rods.:)sphss Is it safe to reuse the spirolocs? Or are they considered disposable? We're talking about free floating 927 pins in JE pistons.
They are cheap and if you are in good with an engine shop they should have some lying around. And only the ones on one side have to come out.

Any one if asked will say don't reuse them.

But ... If they lay flat with no gap just like they do new. I wouldn't have a problem reusing them if in a bind and can't get new ones.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
They are cheap and if you are in good with an engine shop they should have some lying around. And only the ones on one side have to come out.

Any one if asked will say don't reuse them.

But ... If they lay flat with no gap just like they do new. I wouldn't have a problem reusing them if in a bind and can't get new ones.
run em if they are not all stretched out.
Wags

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
run em if they are not all stretched out.
Wags
don't know about anyone else, but I stretch em' just a little, to make it easier to install them, so in my opinion," laying flat" after removing them
is somthing i'd like to see!

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
don't know about anyone else, but I stretch em' just a little, to make it easier to install them, so in my opinion," laying flat" after removing them
is somthing i'd like to see!
There is never a lack of butchers on this site. Did you ever ask yourself, "if they wanted them stretched before installing them, why they don't send them to you pre-stretched?" If you can't install them without destroying them, you may want to invest in one of these:

http://www.lockintool.com/

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Administrator
16,888 Posts
I can get them out without stretching them.

I use 2 pics. A straight one on the tang to move just the very tip out of the groove. And a 90* pic to get the tip past the groove.

Pull it just out of the hole and unthread it out.

They stretch when you get the thing in a bind and caught up on the side of the piston just under the oil ring

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
It's what we do
723 Posts
There is never a lack of butchers on this site. Did you ever ask yourself, "if they wanted them stretched before installing them, why they don't send them to you pre-stretched?" If you can't install them without destroying them, you may want to invest in one of these:

I don't do it, but JE's instructions actually tell you to "stretch" them, to spiral them into place...

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts

Fwiw, I am the farthest thing from a "butcher", and most people I know
and deal with claim that I'm too picky on alot of stuff. plus, I don't reuse
locks, and I also don't destroy them taking them out, also using the 2 pick
method. I didn't look at the link, but if it's the tool I think your talking about, you have to have a grove/slot machined in the piston to use it, beforehand. it doesn't work without it.

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
just checked out the link for that tool, not the one I was thinking it was.
I was refering to the "lockbuster" that's for removing spirolocks. I've never really had a problem installing, but anything that saves time gettin'
them buggers out is a good thing.:)

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
I was just kid'n you. I know a few people that do the same thing. Mostly because JE and KB say it's ok. And it probably is. I just get my index finger between the winds and get it started and wind it in. I have taken them out by getting ahold of the end, with a pick and needle nose, and wind it out. I never throw them away, just in case I may need one or two in a pinch. Your right, the LOCK BUSTER removal tool requires a notch to work.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
steelcomp was here
26,528 Posts
One pic, get it started, out it comes. No damage.
I swear, it's magic.:D

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I can get them out without stretching them.

I use 2 pics. A straight one on the tang to move just the very tip out of the groove. And a 90* pic to get the tip past the groove.

Pull it just out of the hole and unthread it out.

They stretch when you get the thing in a bind and caught up on the side of the piston just under the oil ring
Yep... engine builders working with these things every day vs a few a year guys.
Wags

T

·
0 Posts

as long as they arent distorted I have reused many of mine over, but if they show ANY signs of being sprung or distorted I pitch them, most good bearing shops that handle Ball Bearings, can get you Spirolocks.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Supply

as long as they arent distorted I have reused many of mine over, but if they show ANY signs of being sprung or distorted I pitch them, most good bearing shops that handle Ball Bearings, can get you Spirolocks.
Most piston shops will ship you extra locks w/ a phone call. Ross sent them, 2 sets, free............Ray

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
i solved that lock prob many, many, many years ago with my dragster motor...i ran alum buttons in the end of the pins...work great & so easy to chng pistons between rds if u have too! :)...they also make the piston ride up & down better in the cyl...just sayin' :)

FastRat

1 - 20 of 20 Posts