Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am going to purchase some duratec surfacing primer to use in my bilge and transom area. When you coat the area with gelcoat do you have to use their high gloss additive as well as a wax sanding additive or do you only use one or the other so that you canpolish the finish?
thanks

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
The additive is for use with their clear, not the surfacing primer.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What would be the best method to apply the primer and then gelcoat? What products should i use? I am going to be using epoxy resin and i planned on spraying the primer until i got a smooth surface then apply gelcoat with the duratec high gloss additive in it. Then sand and polish, is this the correct way to do it? Or do i also need to add wax to the gel when i spray the final coat?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know a lot about this, but I don't think you can spray gel coat over epoxy resin.
I was told the same thing today by us composites, called duratec and they are supposed to call me back. I thought the purpose of the duratec surfacing primer was so that you could spray gel coat over epoxy resin after the primer was applied? Correct me if i am wrong but this is how i understood it.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I was told the same thing today by us composites, called duratec and they are supposed to call me back. I thought the purpose of the duratec surfacing primer was so that you could spray gel coat over epoxy resin after the primer was applied? Correct me if i am wrong but this is how i understood it.
Hey guy , i have been using Durtec for many....many ... years now and when i was employed at Skater that was the primer we used considering all Skaters are built from Epoxy , and if you talk with the Tec from Hawkeye Industries who most likely lives here in Mich.....i can almost bet that he will tell you the same thing that i am telling you which is............. the primer i suggested to you earlier in a previous post is Epoxy compatible , and why even bother talking with composites one considering they are over priced and dont have a rep who know's the product . bbf , your call guy , and once again you will not find anybody out there who can beat express composites priceing for that Primer.......................................................................:)hammers

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ok, thanks for clearing that up.I will pull my duratec products from my order and get them from express composites. I am however going to continue to use their resin system. Should i just polish the surfacing primer 702-003 and apply a high gloss coating 904-040 or use gel coat on top of the primer and polish the gel? I want to have a high polish finish on the center of the boat.
Thanks for the help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts