Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
clueless
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good one. Running the boat Sunday, starting to get a good handle on how it likes to be driven and here comes the water. get it back to the trailer and what was a pretty small leak coming from the rudder stuffing box not so small anymore. So after several hours of taking cav plate hardware, upper rudder support system apart cause the bearing was froze to the rudder shaft, I"m to the stuffing box and that mother is glued down solid. I have the nuts off the top, bolts are still in cause the heads are under the cav plates. Any ideas on how to break that thing loose without destroying the hull. Short of hammering a prybar under I've tried everything I can think of.
Chris.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Rudder Stuffing Box

Leave it in the boat. You can replace the seals while it is still in the boat. The rudder should drop out of the bottom. You might need to shift the boat and trailer for it to clear the trailer.

·
clueless
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea rudders no problem just didnt feel like moving it out tonight but its ready to come out gotta park it on the edge of the driveway. I didnt know I could get a seal kit for this one.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Looks pretty standard, should be an internal snap ring on the top that once removed allows you to remove the seal(s). Some units have just 1 seal others have 2. If it becomes necessary to remove the stuffing box, appropriately placed heat can be your friend and soften up the sealing compound for removal.

·
clueless
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quite a bit, I had greased it after the first time i had it in the water and had a small leak. Only a matter of time this seal is shot. Is the normal to go ahead and put 2 seals in it if there is room?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Rudder Seal

If it is a two seal box the first seal will be below the zerk fitting and second above it. The bottom seal is put in opposite of the top one to keep the grease between them.

If your rudder has alot of play inside of the stuffing box you may need to replace the box. Some boxes may have a replaceable bushing. If your seals are acting as the bushing they won't last long.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Quite a bit, I had greased it after the first time i had it in the water and had a small leak. Only a matter of time this seal is shot. Is the normal to go ahead and put 2 seals in it if there is room?
Generally one seal is fine. In case you are not aware, that seal and the one in the stuffing box should be greased on a very regular basis. However, when they are greased, do it slowly. Add only enough grease so that when you apply pressure from the grease gun, stop at the very first sign of resistance. It's full. If you apply more pressure, the seal will allow grease to pop out, meaning the seal was ruptured. It doesn't take much and a new seal should be put in place.

·
clueless
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies Guys. After closer inspection this evening there is only room for one seal above the grease zerk. There is very little rudder play inside the stuffing box the seal was just dried out and after seeing the inside of the stuffing box with the rudder out I know I over greased it which didn't help. I've been fully expecting things like this seeing how this thing sat in a garage for close to 20 years. Got a couple seals on the way and I'll be back at it.
Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts