Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Screamin SeaMonkees
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my "Oh, Schiat" for the day...
Left Orwood with a 'ticking' sound. I'd heard it before and had checked exhaust manifold gaskets, intake gaskets and spark plugs for stripped threads. Nothing obvious.

My two "crew mechanics " kept an ear out for the source of the noise.

Just as we pull into Boyd's Harbor the noise stops. Not a good sign. We had just crossed Frank's Tract at a pretty good clip ( for me, anyways).

Noises just don't fix themselves. I look around in the engine compartment and find my alt belt and crank pulley in the bilge.

Thank goodness for a fresh charge. After finding rides for my guests I leave and head for Orwood.

At home, here's what I find...

Attachments

·
Screamin SeaMonkees
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found a crankshaft pulley in Illinois (sp). $20.00 plus shipping.
Making the arrangements for delivery.

Thanks to all for the concern. I got to the ramp and then home with no problems. Even got to the U-Pull me on Airbase parkway before they closed. The wouldn't let me take my part in so I pulled two 'likely candidates' and brought them to the front. Not a close enough match.

Came home and covered the boat and waiting.

·
Registered
939 Posts
fail

We all wish we had failures as simple as that. Similar story, heard the clicking soud and tour the engine apart. Coupld not find anything wrong. When I attempted to pul the crank shaft out, the pulley bolts were loose. Damn.

Jerry

·
Screamin SeaMonkees
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't know. The engine was installed in '01. I bought the boat in '03. There were some "thrown in" parts on this when I got it. Could've just been old, used and abused pulley. Or just bilge trolls doin' their thing!

Will that 'new to me' pulley add and HP?
:)devil

·
pay me or pay me no mind
3,269 Posts
good to hear mark, sorry your day ended short, now that she's fixed are you gonna run up to berryessa and test it??

·
Registered
36 Posts
I finally got my jet fired that i bought a couple weeks ago. Its my first boat so I know there are some noises that might be there that arent what i have heard with racecars and what not. I had my brothers over to hear the motor and we hear a weird noise. Come to find out its the damn rockers hitting the valve covers. Another one of those things.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You must be Irish

OMG you must be Irish !!!!!

If that where me the pulley would have flung off and gone out the bottom of the boat. Nice to hear a story with a happy ending!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts