Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Should it be this loud at idle with water going thru the pump? :screwy:

[video]http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a292/jtmonts/73%20Rogers%20327/?action=view&current=IMG_2148.mp4[/video]

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
Thats louder than most but its probably just the driveline, does the noise stop once you give it more throttle?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
noise is completely gone when at speed. only happens when idling

·
Registered
162 Posts
I had that noise once. It turned out being the impeller was loose on the shaft. Had got some grease or something on the shaft when installing the impeller, then it washed out and made that noise.

It also went away when under load.

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
Since it goes away with some throttle It's likely from the yoke and or pumpshaft splines having some wear on them and at idle the impeller is sorta ratcheting since there is very little load on the spline, once you throttle up it loads the splines and it's all good. Wouldn't hurt to look over the thrust bearing, wear ring, impeller and nut and bowl bushing hardware just to eliminate any other possibilities. The clunking you hear is common that one just seems a bit louder than most.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Heavy Impellers (Bronze and Stainless) will create or aggravate "machine noise" a low RPM grumbling stacatto clatter or groan from the frt of pump rear of engine area sometimes heard thruout the hull ,this noise is worse with when theres a bit of pump shaft spline or drive line female spline wear or looseness Or a combination there-of), as said it should dissipate with slight load on the impeller (above idle) Tom

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input guys!
Tom I wish you were closer to me i would bring it by for you to check out.
Anyone know of a good jet boat shop close to the Long Beach area?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Sounds to me like you spun the isolater out and under power you've got water for lube
Tom, what do you think?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Honored to be considered !
Sounds to me like you spun the isolater out and under power you've got water for lube
Tom, what do you think?
Could be ...., easy to check , Rvr what GG's refering to is that the possibility exists the the insulator between the wear ring and suction housing could have become dislodged (for lack of a better term) allowing the wear ring to rattle around inside the jet pull the cleanout and take a good look at what you can see of the wear ring, call if we can help Tom

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmm seems like an easy check. if it is this what needs to be done to get it back in place?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the help guys. Took it over to MPD who said he saw nothing wrong in the jet. Impeller has some nicks but not bad. Ujoints were a little loose... Guess i will run it all summer then next winter have the whole jet gone thru

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. Took it over to MPD who said he saw nothing wrong in the jet. Impeller has some nicks but not bad. Ujoints were a little loose... Guess i will run it all summer then next winter have the whole jet gone thru
I wouldn't...that vibration travels directly to the crankshaft.
And I'm sure the pumps thrust bearing wouldn't like it much either.
Handle it now for a worry-free season vs maybe having to deal with it mid summer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts