Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts
My machinist charges me 275.00 to bore lifter bores if I already have the block in the machine.
A few things come to mind:
Pro's
In any situation, the .904 lifter is going to be more stable.
The larger wheel and axle are going to last longer.
The fresh mchine work gives you the opportunity to regain proper lifter/bore clearance if the block is worn.
Con's:
A set of Pro series .904 GS or Morels are 800.00. I think Crowers run about the same.
If you already have a cam, you'll change the cam profile with the larger wheel. The cam should match the lifter.
You might also need new pushrods.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My machinist charges me 275.00 to bore lifter bores if I already have the block in the machine.
A few things come to mind:
Pro's
In any situation, the .904 lifter is going to be more stable.
The larger wheel and axle are going to last longer.
The fresh mchine work gives you the opportunity to regain proper lifter/bore clearance if the block is worn.
Con's:
A set of Pro series .904 GS or Morels are 800.00. I think Crowers run about the same.
If you already have a cam, you'll change the cam profile with the larger wheel. The cam should match the lifter.
You might also need new pushrods.
im starting from scratch with cam lifters and heads.im looking for durability so do mind spending the money to make things last longer.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
800" lift, yes a .904" would be in your best interest. With the spring pressure required for that the larger lifter just gives you more load baring capability. You take a spring that is 750# open and multiply that by the rocker ratio you are seeing 1275#.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
TX, is this a race piece?
.904 ceretainly are an advantage. The question is are they enough of an advantage for your application.

If it is a race piece... drag especially, .843 stuff is fine. I agree with CS on what he said. But is it necessary?

How many rpm will you be turning?

One advantage is you can step up on lobe profile, less roller speed, more stable, etc. Just like CS said.

Is it worth the money is the real question. If your budget has no limits, hell yes. Or save the extra cash and get a better block. Etc.
Give us info about your plan.

Oh, don't go put in a piece of crap .904 just cause they are bigger. Excellent .843's will be better than run of the mill .904's.

Why do you need an .800 lift cam?

Wags

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TX, is this a race piece?
.904 ceretainly are an advantage. The question is are they enough of an advantage for your application.

If it is a race piece... drag especially, .843 stuff is fine. I agree with CS on what he said. But is it necessary?

How many rpm will you be turning?

One advantage is you can step up on lobe profile, less roller speed, more stable, etc. Just like CS said.

Is it worth the money is the real question. If your budget has no limits, hell yes. Or save the extra cash and get a better block. Etc.
Give us info about your plan.

Oh, don't go put in a piece of crap .904 just cause they are bigger. Excellent .843's will be better than run of the mill .904's.

Why do you need an .800 lift cam?

Wags
i am building a 584 bbc.i just purchased a set of the brodix 18* pb1800.the block is a tall deck bowtie block with a kryptonight 4.375 stroke.im going to be getting oliver rods and maybe custom pistons unless i can find a off self piston.hoping to spin 7k out of it.

·
Bostick Racing Engines
1,063 Posts
i am building a 584 bbc.i just purchased a set of the brodix 18* pb1800.the block is a tall deck bowtie block with a kryptonight 4.375 stroke.im going to be getting oliver rods and maybe custom pistons unless i can find a off self piston.hoping to spin 7k out of it.
The .903 will also be good for your app since with the 18* heads you will want to run an offset lifter for the intake and the larger bore and wheel dia will be benificial for the added side loading.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Well, this does not seem to be a budget piece, so yes, they would be a benefit.
If you were on a limited budget, there are other places to spend the $$. Looks like a pretty good budget!
Wags

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, this does not seem to be a budget piece, so yes, they would be a benefit.
If you were on a limited budget, there are other places to spend the $$. Looks like a pretty good budget!
Wags
its not a budget peice,but its going to take sometime to build.want things done right even if it takes a year.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
The .903 will also be good for your app since with the 18* heads you will want to run an offset lifter for the intake and the larger bore and wheel dia will be benificial for the added side loading.
Thats when you say screw the budget, to hell with the kids collage fund, and start spending their inheritence and grab one of these:)devil
LINK: Shifted lifter bore block

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Huh, they are only about 70 miles from me.
The OP said he wanted reliability. Jesel lifters/ keyed are the ultimate!
Wags

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
That block looks a lot like my KB600 block. Did they get the tooling from KB?
No steve that is the old arias tooling. The guy at new century is very nice they changed some of the tooling to make the block better. Oiling and some stuff like that. Very nice piece but not for a na deal maybe blown alcohol

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
No steve that is the old arias tooling. The guy at new century is very nice they changed some of the tooling to make the block better. Oiling and some stuff like that. Very nice piece but not for a na deal maybe blown alcohol
Thanks Josh. Amazing how similar the castings are. FYI, I use the KB600 for my blown alcohol deal, the NA motor is a Dart.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts