Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any info on the Southern California made Starcraft/Can-Am jet boats? I bought one last summer with a BBF and a Berk pump. When I got it home I found a ziplock in the pocket behind the drivers seat with all kinds of reciepts and some original dealer brochure paper work and a powerboat magazine clipping from '79. I guess this boat won some design award from powerboat. Also the boat in the artical was just like mine but a twin turbo BBC version called the turbo carerra. Anyway, aside from the brochure and the artical clipping I can't really find any info on the boats or any info on starcrafts involvment with can-am. If anyone has any info it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
136 Posts

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
cam am

the origanal can am boats was started by mike stevens, in sylmar ca. either 76 or 77 ????. don't know what happened after that, maybe starcraft picked it up after that

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, in the brochure I have there is a little write-up about Mike Stevens, I guess at one point He held a world record for "driver of the worlds fastest propeller driven boat, " it ran 206.92 MPH. It was a purple V-drive called "Blood Sweat & Nitro"

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have recently come to possess a 1979 Starcraft Can-Am as well. My HIN is sja030007079. I was told it was built by St. James Boatworks who is no longer in business in July of 1979. Mine had a small block Chrysler with a Chrysler outdrive. I am currently in the process of refitting it with a MerCruiser SBC and alpha one gen 2. I would love to know what your opinion of your boat is after having a few years to enjoy it on the water.

·
Administrator
4,741 Posts
Does anyone have any info on the Southern California made Starcraft/Can-Am jet boats?
Charismatic racer Mike Stevens tipped the dragboat racing world off its axis with the world's fastest carbureted flatbottom: Black Russian, setting hordes of records. He later drove a record-setting Top Fuel Hydro at 210+ mph. His brief foray into the boat business—Can-Am—produced a very cool, deep, open-water daycruiser, only a few of which were built from the late 1970s to early 1980s.

·
Banned
3,397 Posts
I know nothing of Can Am boats....But Starcraft was/is a larger regular boat manufacturer for a lot of years...During the Jet boat craze in the late 60s thru early 70s, quite a few standard boat companies bought up some of the small jet boat manufacturers to "put a toe in the water"....The plug was pulled when the fuel crisis/shortage hit and jets got a reputation as gas hogs (Somewhat deserved...But almost all ferries the world over are jet drive!)

Anyway, that is a very good looking day cruiser....quite a bit of styling.....Some of the daycruisers are pretty flat sided- saved time, money and effort- but this really has very nice lines to it.

·
kenny nunez
76 Posts
Gas hogs ?

Back in the 70s Power Boat did a fuel consumption test with identical boats and engines, one jet the other stern drive. The consumption was identical @ cruise. I once had a Taylor/ 460/y Berkeley that you had to really "boot" it to plane off because all the weight was in the stern and of course that was where it used a lot of fuel.
And as CVX said a lot of commercial ferries are jet powered and the Navy is using them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts