Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's a good oil to use on a fresh start up,540 Chevy does have assembly lube on all the surfaces now ect bearings.And will prime the oil pump.Thanks JOHN SR

·
Registered
722 Posts
Poncho gave you a great recommendation.

I also love & had very good results with Brad Penn and a bottle of Lucas. Pictured..
iv seen it online from Summit Fwiw.
good luck !! :))THumbsUp

Sorry the the pic is sideways, computer shit I know nothing about.. Lol

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts

I also love & had very good results with Brad Penn and a bottle of Lucas. Pictured..

I've used Brad Penn for a decade but no one carries it, I switched when I went to the dyno this spring and changed oil multiple times...3 different shops said they liked Joe Gibbs, especially the break in oil....just damned expensive.

·
Some guy
3,616 Posts
Brad Penn is easily available through Amazon for about the same price as Valvoline, and they produce a break in oil as well. I have never run additive in with the Brad Penn in any of the engines I have built, flat tappet or roller.

Certainly there are other good oils, but I have pulled apart engines (including my own turbo race engine) that ran on the Brad Penn oil, and have been very pleased. You can spend more money if you want,, Torco, Lucas, etc, but not sure it gains you anything?

·
Registered
4,188 Posts

Lucas Actually makes a break in oil straight weight.. I've had no problems with it..

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
Brad Penn is easily available through Amazon for about the same price as Valvoline, and they produce a break in oil as well. I have never run additive in with the Brad Penn in any of the engines I have built, flat tappet or roller.

Certainly there are other good oils, but I have pulled apart engines (including my own turbo race engine) that ran on the Brad Penn oil, and have been very pleased. You can spend more money if you want,, Torco, Lucas, etc, but not sure it gains you anything?
I started with Kendall in the 70's and switched to the Penn when that went down. I got caught short handed when I went to the dyno and allowed the switch because it was on the shelf, rather than wait, I didn't want to use it but he convinced me it was a good oil...he had 6 engines behind me.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Kendall was purchased by a refining group that is now Brad Penn. Same refinery, same PA grade paraffin base oil. If you can't find it Summit has stock all the time. I was talking to a drag racer who does my state inspection and he told me they were dyno'ing a 468. The break in oil was Brad, they went to lunch, dumped the Brad and went to Mobil 1 and lost 10hp on the next pull. When I went to the same shop to dyno an engine he told me the same story. Hundreds of variables or could be BS, your guess is as good as mine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts