Performance Boats Forum banner

Starter for Blower Engine

5K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Real McCoy 
#1 · (Edited)
So I picked up an IMI 902 starter from Good Vibrations Motorsports and it won't start my 572 with a 10-71 blower. The starter has a 2 kw motor. This is the second starter I bought from GVM. The first one was an IMI 102n with 1.4 kw motor which the GVM tech recommended but both will not start my engine. GVM says they never get any complaints about the IMI starters but when I called the IMI tech they recommended the 902 or 935. So GVM let me trade the start plus the additional cost between the two starters. If I take the IMI 902 back to GVM they are going to hit me with a 10% restocking fee so I want to make sure that I have done everything possible to make sure it's the starter.

I measured the gap between the pinion gear and the back side of the ring gear and it was tight at .020" so I added the circular shim and the gap is now .098" (should be .040" to .100"). I measured the backlash and it's .022" with a .015" mounting block shim. The IMI 902 turns the engine over but it makes a ticking noise just like the 102n did when I tried that one. I have started the engine with two other used starters Hitachi and Tilton and the engine starts right up. So what's the deal has anyone else have problems with IMI starters?

Auto part Wire Wheel Engine Gauge

Auto part Engine Clutch Automotive engine part Machine tool

Calipers Measuring instrument Technology Tire Automotive tire

Auto part Gear Engine Tool accessory Machine tool

See less See more
#2 ·
The IMI 902 turns the engine over but it makes a ticking noise just like the 102n did when I tried that one.
What is this ticking noise you mentioned,, solenoid dropping out or something? Measure battery voltage, then measure battery voltage with key on,, then measure battery voltage as you try to turn the engine over. Best way is if you can get the positive probe on the cable on the big post on the starter, negative can go to any good ground. Maybe you have a connection issue somewhere.

#5 ·
That sound is low voltage. A low state of battery charge or poor connection somewhere along the line. Check that the battery terminals are clean and snug. Also check that there isn't paint or corrosion at your grounding point.

All this assumes you're not using speaker wire for your main leads :happy:

#10 ·
The clicking noise sounds like the solenoid cycling in and out because of low voltage. The 'ting' noise you heard is the drive incorrectly engaging the ring gear, either not enough engagement depth because of low voltage or incorrect distance from the flex plate center. What, with that set up, is not stock? Mid plate? Flex plate diameter? What engine is this? GM or Ford? (If I missed this in the post, I apologize). What guage starter cables are you running? How long are they? Is the battery grounded to the block on a bare metal surface? Is the battery fully charged? Any part of this puzzle not being up to snuff will give you problems.
Rob

#9 ·
I would go with what's working......sounds like a bad connection...and or battery.....I use hitachi starters....extra tooth on them.....you need to get to the bottom of this....you'll eat a flexplate...good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.