Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
ESSEX PULLER
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So Ive got a 2000 Essex open bow jet with a 454. The starter went out two weekends ago.

Pulled the old starter and put the new one in, turned the motor over about 5 or 6 times, then it doesn't engage the flywheel any more.

So i bought a solenoid for the old starter, same thing, starts the boat a half dozen times then wont engage the flywheel and you can hear the whine from the gear just spinning.

Im thinking it could be the flywheel at this point. Any advice??

Thanks
ESXPULR

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
It was a shot inthe dark. I have never shimmed a starter I was just making a suggestion. I have never had any issues with the Summit minigear reduction starter.

Cy

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I'd say definitely the flywheel.

Yup.. Check the teeth on your fly wheel.. .

With mine it would catch some of the time. That was only because some of the teeth were not as bad. once it hit a bad spot it would just spin.. I bet if you hand cranked you motor a few degrees you would get back to a point you could start it again. So check your flywheel/flexplate.

What it should look like

What mine ended up like.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Thats EXACTLY what my old flywheel looks like, i just checked it out.

Where did you get your knew flywheel from?

Same motor as i have?
I needed it on on the fly so i just picked it up at NAPA.. I have run it for a few weeks so far no issue. I even pulled the motor last weekend and no wear that i can see.. So far so good.

BTW thats a flex plate not a flywheel.. Dont know if they are interchangable. if it has big ass gaping holes in it, its a flexplate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.