Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal. The boat is a 22' Schiada with a Powerglide and #4 Speedmaster drive. Barry (Obnoxious001) just rebuild the 468 blower motor. With the powerglide the motor is pushed pretty far forward with about 18" of exhause hose from the tips (Rex mufflers) to the headers. The whole pipe is underwater.

Starts and runs perfect on the trailer. But once the boat is in the water, the starter can't seem to turn the engine fast enough to start up. Seems like it builds too much backpressure with all the water in the exhaust hose. It will crank and crank but won't fire...... but if you pull the boat up the ramp to where the exhaust is above the water line - she fires right up!

Same when floating. Won't fire sitting still but if getting towed it lights up.

Current starter looks like a basic old marine starter.

Separately but related the relay is going bad and needs some help (tapping) when hot.

Batteries are two new Optimas.

So the questions are - would the relay be the culprit?
Do I need a whole new starter?
What models/brands will allow for a high enough crank speed to blow the water out the exhaust and get the engine running?

Sorry for the long thread - just trying to get as many questions answered ahead of time.

Thanks!

-Justin

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Put some Salisbury flaps on the exhaust to keep the water out. Rex sells them.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I had a problem on my ski boat a few years ago that was quite similar, ended up putting on a new starter and selinoid, and all was well. It was simply old, and didn't spin anywhere near as fast as a new one.

Darrell.

·
Some guy
3,610 Posts
I had a problem on my ski boat a few years ago that was quite similar, ended up putting on a new starter and selinoid, and all was well. It was simply old, and didn't spin anywhere near as fast as a new one.

Darrell.
I am pretty sure that is the answer here as well, I have mentioned to Justin elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Darrell.
I am pretty sure that is the answer here as well, I have mentioned to Justin elsewhere.
I love it when the best answer is also the easiest! Looks like a new starter is in order.

-Justin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts