Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told the jet guys use a top mount starter with flex plate which requires a longer reach starter? I have not been able to find that type of starter.. but I`d like to ...

·
Registered
298 Posts
Jet boats have starter pro lens due to the long wire from Ign switch all the way back to the starter. Therefore install a Relay and you won't have that issue.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
I was told the jet guys use a top mount starter with flex plate which requires a longer reach starter? I have not been able to find that type of starter.. but I`d like to ...
It doesn't require any longer reach because its a flex plate verses a flywheel. Its just a completely different starter, and it also spins CCW.

Its the same starter as a Mercruiser Hi Mount. There are 2 bolt hi mount and 3 bolt.

Chevy GM Marine High Torque Performance Starter

Mercruiser Starter - Top Mount | Teague Custom Marine

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Platinum Member
2,014 Posts
Jet boats have starter pro lens due to the long wire from Ign switch all the way back to the starter. Therefore install a Relay and you won't have that issue.
Mercury,O/B 's up/down trim circuit kit , Bosch pattern designed to be in fresh and saltwater the relay has a weather tight seal and snaps into a sealed plug the wires are marine grade and heavy gauge

a 100 bucks gets you two relays and a wiring kit to cut up

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It doesn't require any longer reach because its a flex plate verses a flywheel. Its just a completely different starter, and it also spins CCW.

Its the same starter as a Mercruiser Hi Mount. There are 2 bolt hi mount and 3 bolt.

Chevy GM Marine High Torque Performance Starter

Mercruiser Starter - Top Mount | Teague Custom Marine

Let me explain further
I have the IMI 302-001 top mount starter on my Mercury bellhousing
I`m installing a Drive Guardian and the only way it will fit inside the bellhousing is by use of a Flex plate (original flywheel won`t work not enough room).
This moves the flex wheel gear about a 1/2 inch back as opposed to the flywheel.. the starter wont reach the to engage the teeth.. thats my dilema.

Trying to find a way to fit this inside the bellhousing, flex plate only way to go:

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Let me explain further
I have the IMI 302-001 top mount starter on my Mercury bellhousing
I`m installing a Drive Guardian and the only way it will fit inside the bellhousing is by use of a Flex plate (original flywheel won`t work not enough room).
This moves the flex wheel gear about a 1/2 inch back as opposed to the flywheel.. the starter wont reach the to engage the teeth.. thats my dilema.

Trying to find a way to fit this inside the bellhousing, flex plate only way to go:

That's because you are using a Merc bellhousing. The ring gear is flipped and relocated back. Like installing the flywheel backwards. You have an issue. :happy:
question is, why doesn't a Merc flywheel fit in that housing? Or have you tried one?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
It does, everything is great until I decided to try to stuff an extra 2.5" worth of stuff ( Drive Guardian) in there :wink2:

The Merc. flywheel with the Guardian bolted to it wont fit in the bellhousing. Only way to make it all fit is to use a thinner flex plate, then it all fits in the bellhousing... which moves the teeth but then the starter wont engage .. yes thats my dilemma

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its a brand new product, actually I`m kinda the test subject.. no worries thou, called up IMI, they said give us the measurements and we`ll make the starter with the proper throw, or better yet they will modify my current IMI starters.

Done deal :D

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
looks like a modified clutch disc
All the Merc drive plates look like a clutch disc with the lining removed. This one has something going on where the lining would be. Like maybe the center plate bolt to the crank is bonded to the out drive plate thru a bonded runner piece.

Guardian Industries is a well known manufacture of shock and vibration absorbing drive couplers for things like pumps and heavy equipment.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Its not Guardian Industries. Its made by Marine Design Corporation. A fellow boater got tired of blowing up drives and transmissions and decided to come up with a solution. He designed it to fit inside a NXT bellhousing and now we`re trying to figure out how to make it fit in a Merc. housing like I have.

DriveGuardianTMDriveGuardian is a patent pending device designed to absorb and dissipate the shock-induced loading of the gear sets and shafts in a marine drive system and eliminate the damage from overloading. DriveGuardian’s design controls the maximum torque seen by the drive with zero impact or adverse effects under normal operation. Importantly, as designed, DriveGuardian’s operation is 100% mechanical, operates automatically, is completely transparent to the boat operator, and requires no additional maintenance.
DriveGuardian replaces the existing coupler or drive-plate that connects the engine to the stern drive’s input shaft or driveline in staggered installations. Installation is straightforward and can be performed by any reputable dealer or experienced boat owner. DriveGuardian is suitable for single and multi-engine installations and is compatible with most stern drives on the market. Figure 2 is an illustration of DriveGuardian for Bravo style drives such as the Mercury Bravo One
I have the entire tech brief if anyone is interested, it entails the testing on Lake Michigan and seeing TQ spikes as high at 1900ft/lbs which explains why he went thru 3 NXT transmissions in the first year on a 42 Fountain and at least 3 upper gear sets on #6 drives after beefing up the transmissions. (high X dimension)

Basically he can custom set the Drive Guardian to slip at a specific tq. So those Drive killing TQ spikes from coming in and out of the water are eliminated. Personally I think its genius idea and after having to send both drives to Florida for rebuilds and losing boating time and breaking the bank, its something I`d like to avoid. After I dyno and see what TQ my motors are making I`d like to set it to 10% above and this way the drive/trans will never see any higher torque than the Drive Guardian is set at.

Flex plate plus D.G. is only a few pounds less than the stock fly wheel.

I have big shaft #4`s heres a few more pics of the SSM version:

Heres the BRAVO version:

He hasn`t broken a drive since installing this on his boat.
You can modify your damper plate to fit or Innovate is in the process of making new ones. Also CP performance will be coming out with a bellhousing that moves the coolers forward to make room so a flexplate does not have to be used and no need for a different starter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts