Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
lol, right.....
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering about the routing of a steering cable. Bought a new rack set-up a little while back & ran it in the same location as the old cable. While smoother than the rotary style steering I replaced, its still not as smooth as what I expected compared to some others. It does have 3 pretty good/sharp curves in it as it is now. What I'm wondering is, if I ran the cable down the other side of the boat, I'd eliminate 2 of those sharp curves. Would that "loosen" up the steering?

Also, there isn't any binding out on the nozzle, all pivot points move smoothly & the wheel spins easy with the rack disconnected. I believe that I would have to flip the helm(?) over, putting the rack on the top, if I ran the cable down the opposite side, correct?

Thanks in advance for any info..

·
Administrator
11,501 Posts
Any time you can route with less bends or less severe bends (more bend radius) you will free up the cable somewhat. It is all about friction inside the cable.

·
"Try it Now!"
3,614 Posts
Any time you can route with less bends or less severe bends (more bend radius) you will free up the cable somewhat. It is all about friction inside the cable.
x2, i had a problem with the sharp bend right to the left of the helm, so i flipped the rack. Now just have one long sweeping bend then goes straight out the transom. Bought a cable 5' shorter, and for years now the steering is like butter. I'm not sure this is what you're supposed to do, but worked for me.

·
Premium Member
7,314 Posts
We always strive for the least amount (and largest radius bends) Typically we reroute cables to run down the left gunnel but "drop out" just back of the left rear passenger seat and then its a near straight shot back to the steer tube We find lots of boats rigged with the ST cable making it all the way to the left rear corner of the transom then a big tight "S" bend to effect the turn neccesary to make the tube connection IMO this continually forces the cable to "chafe" the housing resulting in binding and shorter cable life. Also the steer tube bushing must be "live" and not over tightend (I'd prefer a small leak there than a bind) And last a swivel clevis and sometimes a spacer really help. Right side "rerouting on a left helm boat can be an option but generally takes a longer cable . As a rule we find the longer that any cable is the less positive the response .RE "Right routing" if you dont flip the rack opposite the boat will turn left when you turn right (just as Jrork :) )Tom
http://www.jetboatperformance.biz/catpage/cables_controls.html
After a lttle enginuity Josh recently machined a new Steer tube for me for standard Berk and Dom/AT etc applications which provides a positive transom seal This new style steer tube uses an "E" boot and we will market the assembly soon

·
lol, right.....
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well, tried running the cable down the other side & it wasn't going to have enough cable to do the trick, which I kind of figured. I ended up running back down the left hand side but with a little different route than what I had it originally & seems to be better than what it was.

Also, when I took it apart, the nuts holding the steering tube in place were pretty tight. That may have been part of the problem as well, so I'll try just snugging them down & see what that does. Already have the spacer/extension/swivel kit, got it when I got my droop from ya awhile back, Tom. :))THumbsUp Guess if all else fails I could always put a suicide knob on the wheel, lol.... :p :D

Thanks for the input guys....

·
ATTA BOY
2,305 Posts
Well, tried running the cable down the other side & it wasn't going to have enough cable to do the trick, which I kind of figured. I ended up running back down the left hand side but with a little different route than what I had it originally & seems to be better than what it was.

Also, when I took it apart, the nuts holding the steering tube in place were pretty tight. That may have been part of the problem as well, so I'll try just snugging them down & see what that does. Already have the spacer/extension/swivel kit, got it when I got my droop from ya awhile back, Tom. :))THumbsUp Guess if all else fails I could always put a suicide knob on the wheel, lol.... :p :D

Thanks for the input guys....
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEasy. LMAO

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.