Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i bought a cable last year, needles to say its froze up from having boat stored in the carport over winter and not the garage... I bought one that was apparently to long. Had a large S turn at the pump which made it a bit rought to turn the wheel ( to much radius im guessing). Is there a way to measure and then correctly route the cable??? Directly out of the rack the cable takes a sharp turn down the hull towards the rear about how much radius should i have on the cable for each bend???

Is there a cable made for tight radius? Id like to keep as much bend out of it as possible as my buddys boat i can steer with my pinky finger mine you have to put a little muscle into it which i do not like at all.

·
volkswagen junkie
31 Posts
what steering system do u have now?
i just recently purchased a rack set up. im totally stoked with it!
pinky steering to the docks! i was going to buy a cable for my outdated morse rotary set up but the cable was over $100 bucks. so,
i figured fug it.now i have new rack/cable & helm. it kicks butt!
as for length, do you have your original cable? it will say in inches how long it is, if not bust out some bailing wire or coat hangers & lay in in your route and measure. new set ups are in 1 ft increments. i think it was 18' inches for the radius circle in tightness. if i had to do it again i would have rerouted the cable to the right side of the boat. all u have to do is flip the helm over for correct cable direction.:)coffee

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Matt the more turns and bends the more internal "chafing" and thus shorter the cable life , If its a Teleflex and it has no physical damage and you have the sales reciept from where you bought it PM me we'll warranty for you . When installing We chose the shortest route possible even if it means a cable crossing the floor somewhere. Run you cable down the gunnel drop it out behind the left rear passengers seat and straight back under (or along side ) the motor to the steer tube Tom

General rule most 18's take a 15' and most 20's and 21's use a 16'
http://www.jetboatperformance.biz/catpage/cables_controls.html

·
volkswagen junkie
31 Posts
Matt the more turns and bends the more internal "chafing" and thus shorter the cable life , If its a Teleflex and it has no physical damage and you have the sales reciept from where you bought it PM me we'll warranty for you . When installing We chose the shortest route possible even if it means a cable crossing the floor somewhere. Run you cable down the gunnel drop it out behind the left rear passengers seat and straight back under (or along side ) the motor to the steer tube Tom

General rule most 18's take a 15' and most 20's and 21's use a 16'
http://www.jetboatperformance.biz/catpage/cables_controls.html

just to add, i have a sanger SJ 18". i ran a 14ft. i dont know what i would do with an extra ft. i ran it just as you mentioned above.

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
just to add, i have a sanger SJ 18". i ran a 14ft. i dont know what i would do with an extra ft. i ran it just as you mentioned above.
Not sure without seeing it to answer but i suspect you'd "use it up" with bigger sweeping bends routing differently you might try temporarily rerouting just to see ?
As said "General rule" ;) lots of boats differ slightly, A wise old parts rep told me a long time back "you can hide a foot but you can't stretch an inch" in this business its better to err on the side of caution , when sending a cable to BFE :D than to have a customer not have his boat operational However a few inches to a foot too long wont usually result in a big a$$ loop Its when I see a 17' cable in a 17 ft boat with the excess wrapped around the pump snout the cause a some concern (that was a product of a lazy salesman) Tom

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what steering system do u have now?
i just recently purchased a rack set up. im totally stoked with it!
pinky steering to the docks! i was going to buy a cable for my outdated morse rotary set up but the cable was over $100 bucks. so,
i figured fug it.now i have new rack/cable & helm. it kicks butt!
as for length, do you have your original cable? it will say in inches how long it is, if not bust out some bailing wire or coat hangers & lay in in your route and measure. new set ups are in 1 ft increments. i think it was 18' inches for the radius circle in tightness. if i had to do it again i would have rerouted the cable to the right side of the boat. all u have to do is flip the helm over for correct cable direction.:)coffee
ive got a rack setup right now... Its just the cable exits to the left side of the boatand makes an immediate turn towards the rear. Its a pretty tight turn then heads toward the rear to the transom then makes an S turn into the transom adapter. Id say the cable is atleast 2 ft to long at most.

Your saying i can flip the rack and have it exit out of the rack towards the passanger side??? Id love for it to go that route then i can make the radius that takes it to the rear much less and possibly run it directly into the transom adapter by running it down the center of the hull.

Sorry tom no sales reciept as i bought it last year sitting in that position in my boat i guess it locked it up somehow.. I cant get the cable to move anylonger.

Guess a new cable is in the future.

·
What the Hell is That?
1,633 Posts
I just put a rack set up in my boat (well in the process) and it routed like yours. When it exits towards the left it makes a small sweeping turn if you will then along the gunnel. When it gets to the back it does a small S turn thne out of the adapter. Teleflex instructions state no more than 8' of turn radius or the cable will wear faster.

The only tough part of the install IMO is getting your steering wheel to mount and everything. Of course that depends on the Type of steering wheel you have. My steering wheel is old School and I would like to keep it.

As far as measuring your old cable should say XXft Xin. Mine was 16.6. I think i went with a 15 or 16 i don't remember. Tom could tell ya though.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just put a rack set up in my boat (well in the process) and it routed like yours. When it exits towards the left it makes a small sweeping turn if you will then along the gunnel. When it gets to the back it does a small S turn thne out of the adapter. Teleflex instructions state no more than 8' of turn radius or the cable will wear faster.

The only tough part of the install IMO is getting your steering wheel to mount and everything. Of course that depends on the Type of steering wheel you have. My steering wheel is old School and I would like to keep it.

As far as measuring your old cable should say XXft Xin. Mine was 16.6. I think i went with a 15 or 16 i don't remember. Tom could tell ya though.
The turn from the rack along the gunnel is not 8" if i had to guess maybe 5-6. How does your feel when you steer?

·
What the Hell is That?
1,633 Posts
Thought I have yet to put the steering wheel on. The pump is smooth. The only thing left for me to do is cut a spacer for the wheel and clock the steering.

Personally I saw a night and day difference.

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
I had the same problem, it was the first turn that killed mine more than the other three turns. I flipped the rack, bought a cable about 4' shorter, and it only makes one long sweeping bend...goes straight out the transom..turns like butter 5+ years now, one finger.

·
What the Hell is That?
1,633 Posts
in case any one is interested in the Telelflex set up i am wrapping my install up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts