Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Boat 502
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the correct way to fix this area from leaking ? It has a plate w/ 4 nuts on it that i could take up on, but not sure if that will do it. Is there a seal around the shaft that goes out ?? Thanks for any help.

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
There are many types of rudder stuffing boxes, particularly in older boats.

Most late ones have seal(s). Some early ones used packing (still available I guess). If the rudder box or rudder shaft or both are worn significantly the parts will need replacing before the leaks will stop. New parts have around .010 to .020 clearance for reference, usually have one or two seals and a grease fitting.

Got any pics of your setup?

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Sleeve and seal kits?

Hey Mike, is anyone making a 1 inch "sleeve and seal kit" like the ones for worn harmonic balancers? Those could/would allow a slightly pitted rudder shaft to seal again...........Ray

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
That's a great idea Ray. Also If you put new seals in and a new O ring in it and the rudder is not worn too much .. You can pump it w grease and it won't leak.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
What is the correct way to fix this area from leaking ? It has a plate w/ 4 nuts on it that i could take up on, but not sure if that will do it. Is there a seal around the shaft that goes out ?? Thanks for any help.
I have the same problem!! I went out and bought one from REX, single seal due to alignment and then cut an o-ring towards the bottom on our lathe. We'll see if it fixed it this weekend!!!! I'm tired of hauling around a chit load of water!!!

·
Boat 502
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, thanks for the replys. I will look at it a little closer and most likely replace it.

·
Boat 502
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
Hey Mike, is anyone making a 1 inch "sleeve and seal kit" like the ones for worn harmonic balancers? Those could/would allow a slightly pitted rudder shaft to seal again...........Ray
Not that I know of Ray.

One concern (certainly not on all boats but some) is old pitted rudder shafts many times go hand in hand with old pitted rudders that should be in the shitcan anyway for safety reasons. And on the rudder box I don't think it would be worth "bush"ing, easier to replace, has to come out of the boat anyway.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Questionable rudder

Yes Mike, I agree a pitted shaft could lead to failure. However if the shaft/rudder x rays good then a sleeve over the "damaged" seal area of the shaft could extend it's life without leaks. I am replacing the existing box and looking at seal type options. One seal in the top with the "lip" inward, and another seal in the bottom with the lip outward??? Or a double lip type in the bottom and a single in the top? The replacements I've seen only have a single lip in the top and depend on grease to keep the water below the seal and out of the boat. We now have a dual O ring type box and it seems to just trap the water between the O rings which is what pitted the shaft. The Zerk fitting in the box is a real bear to get to with the tank in the boat so I plan to plumb in a tube from the box to an easy accessed area for frequent greasing....I'll look at Rex's web site to see pictures of what is available now, and get back to you with any questions...........OH, one more thing. Who does the underwater gear X raying? Ventura County would be nice, but I'll go to LA if I have to......Rudder, props, strut..........Ray

1 - 11 of 11 Posts