Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my boat the steering was very stiff, checked the power steering pump and it seems to be working. Looks like someone added external rams to the drive and they are not working properly, all lines and hoses appear correct. Any ideas? 93 Elim Fundeck.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Is this a full hydraulic setup or do you have the push/pull cable running to the transom? When I converted mine over the steering became easier and more precise, however the directions stressed the importance of correctly purging the system of trapped air as the final step.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has cable to the back then hydraulic. You would of thought it would have bled itself out by now. Will try bleeding it. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
In that case I would suggest checking the cable for kinks, also the helm rack/pinion gear may have a lube point. Also where the push/pull cable connects to the hyd. valve at the transom, they should be in alignment, and the clevis and pin should not be excessively worn, rusted, or corroded.

Also you may try flushing the system and replacing fluid with fresh fluid of a known quality.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I unhook the rams on the outdrive steering turns much easier so do not think its in the cable or helm, will look at were the cable and hydraulics connect. Thanks for the help Larry much appreciated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
ok so there are a few things that need to be looked. what year system you working with. i will assume its the newer gray steering cylinder. this is a antifeedback system. first check fluid in pump on engine. second is if the cable is to long and has a big loop or bend near the steering ram it will not properly actuate the power assist on the steering cylinder making the power steering not assist you in moving the drive(s). third after that is done you need to check that where the cable goes into the cylinder there is a guide tube that it rides in and that tube has 2 flat spots for a wrench so that when you thread the cable nut the tube does not turn. well those flat spots need to be facing straight up. if not that will cause some issues also. after all of this is checked what you can do is with the engine running grab a hold of the cable and push in on it at the cylinder and the steering should move the drives in one direction. then you can pull out on it and it should move back the other way. not sure what you mean when you say things move easy when you remove the rams. there should only be one steering cylinder and it's inside the boat. are you talking about the trim cylinders that raise and lower the drive if so they have nothing to do with the steering system.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Low funds, someone added two external hydraulic rams on the outdrive that assists in the steering. If I unhook the two rams the steering turns much easier.

·
Registered
25 Posts
so if you have external pistons you should not have any internal steering piston or cable. do these pistons have any hydraulic lines running inside the boat. i have never seen a boat with both it's one or the other. if you can post some pics of inside and outside.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yes has hydraulic lines to the rams, Has cable type helm to the rear then it connects to a type of bracket that the cable feeds thru to a arm on the inside of the out drive but the bracket the cable runs thru also has hydraulic lines off it to the external rams.. Has belt driven power steering pump on engine. Think this was a aftermarket add on. Says WPM(Warlock Performance Marine) on the rams. Sorry no pics at this time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
ok so you must have a add on hydraulic system. i have yet to work on or see one yet. have you had any luck trying to contact the manufacturer to see what they recommend on bleeding.

·
Registered
113 Posts
steering

If I unhook the rams on the outdrive steering turns much easier so do not think its in the cable or helm, will look at were the cable and hydraulics connect. Thanks for the help Larry much appreciated.
My dad has this exact problem with his single wpm external ram. If you figure anything out please let me know...

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
so if you have external pistons you should not have any internal steering piston or cable. do these pistons have any hydraulic lines running inside the boat. i have never seen a boat with both it's one or the other. if you can post some pics of inside and outside.
can either be a single or dual ram ASSIST steering system and is used in conjunction with the cable steering with a hydraulic adapter on the OEM actuator inside. Not full hydraulic to helm.
Just make sure the rams are plumbed correctly, they should be opposite of each other when plumbed. Quick way to check is to disconnect rams like you did at the drive and start motor and turn steering and the outside assist rams should move opposite from each other ie, one in and one out..

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
If the seals are bad in the external cylinder you could have pressure on both sides of the ram causing the steering to be stiff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts