Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after Deb drove the Miller and I had to make her keep lifting off the pedal due to the Milidon/ oil pressure / foaming deal, She has granted permission for a real oil pan/ system.

I have been looking at the Stefs and Dan Olson sites and am wondering what pan you guys run??

It is a 454, M IV, 4 bolt. Eagle forged, stock stroke, Eagle H beams.
Sees 5800 MAX, but we generally cruise @ 5K or less.
We wring it out pretty frequently, Deb is the hardest on it!
She thinks she should be able to hold it on the floor forever.
My plan is get the parts together in the next couple months.
We'll probably only have another 2 outings or so before shutting down for the season.
I also am planning a rail kit at the same time, if that matters.

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Pan-Rail Kits

We have the rail kits for $575.00 and Milidon makes an anti-cavitation shield that goes between the oil pump and the block that solves the Milidon oil pressure loss problem.
Duane HTP

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have the rail kits for $575.00 and Milidon makes an anti-cavitation shield that goes between the oil pump and the block that solves the Milidon oil pressure loss problem.
Duane HTP
Thanks Duane.
I have the surge baffle, have always run one in all my boat and race care engines.
Am looking at your' rail kit now.

·
Registered
541 Posts
hey that guy keep in mind when getting your rail kit the stringers tend to be wider in millers so the plates have to be to

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey that guy keep in mind when getting your rail kit the stringers tend to be wider in millers so the plates have to be to
Yeah, I will probably just drag it to JBP.
They do much better work than I do!!

Hey, BTW, do you know the right part# on the Stefs oil pan?

I am not sure looking at their site.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
So, after Deb drove the Miller and I had to make her keep lifting off the pedal due to the Milidon/ oil pressure / foaming deal, She has granted permission for a real oil pan/ system.

I have been looking at the Stefs and Dan Olson sites and am wondering what pan you guys run??

Josh and I have been thru some recent BBC oiling issues earlier this season one engine and now have been using Cantons (very nice quality and reasonble)and Stefs/B&B with better success , not so much Milodon :( Tom

Chuck is correct however we simply knotch the standard plates and let the ends run wild over the tops of the stringers to accomdate the narrow Miller set up

·
Registered
550 Posts
I've got a Stef's custom made pan and all I can say is it's AWESOME!!! I had problems with the Milodon and we went through everything before deciding on a pan because I really couldn't afford it. My engine had issues running on a stand, so the baffle wouldnt have helped. It wouldn't have fit due to studs on the mains anyhow. Long story short, the Stef's pan not only solved my oil pressure issues, but I have even better pressure now, and it STAYS THERE!!! Even on my small budget, the expense of my custom Stef's pan was worth every penny!! :D:D:D

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Duane HTP
Duane, Milidon sent me one of those shields for free > I never installed because I just didn't feel warm and fuzzy about 'anything' being between my oil pump and block.
Is that "shield" the cure-all for the oil psi issues or does the problem still lie within the Milidon perforated pick-up screen vs having a better flowing 'wire screen' in the pick-up?
Thanks for any feedback, Ray

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Duane, Milidon sent me one of those shields for free > I never installed because I just didn't feel warm and fuzzy about 'anything' being between my oil pump and block.
Is that "shield" the cure-all for the oil psi issues or does the problem still lie within the Milidon perforated pick-up screen vs having a better flowing 'wire screen' in the pick-up?
Thanks for any feedback, Ray
Honestly, I have always used the one made by Moroso. I've had it stop the problem in more than a dozen boats with a Milidon pan. They look like the same part.
This is it;
http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/23010/10002/-1
Duane HTP
Yeah, I have run the Moroso in countless SBC back in my asphalt days, as well as in BBC. It was standard fare no matter what kind of pan. Sometimes have to trim it up a little bit to make it clear the pan.
I have the Milidon one in my BBC now, with the Milidon pan. My problem does not seem to be surge.
More to do with aeration, I think? I do not have an oil temp gauge though.
Still, I want to upgrade and lose the Milidon.
Definitely going to install an oil temp gauge also.

Hammer, in all the engines that I have ran that shield, I have never seen it cause any type of failure.
In fact, it is probably the best thing you can do for under $7.00 or so!

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Thanks Duan and ThatGuy...guess if I ever get the energy to just pull the engine I'll install the 'shield';)
But again I have to question that Milidon perforated pick-up screen vs having a better flowing 'wire screen' in the pick-up > I've looked at that thing a dozen + times and wishing I had a tig welder to improve on that PU screen.

Note...this season I did a FIRST > I switched over to Valvoline VR1 Racing SYNTHETIC 20/50.
And I've noticed, when I punch it, the oil psi drop isn't as bad vs the straight 50wt I was normally running.
My thinking >maybe the syn is dropping back into the pan faster and maybe-just maybe, it's flowing a little better through that darn Milidon perforated pick-up screen.

·
LAID IN MEXICO
750 Posts
pans

i run a stef's on my cruiser and it is a nice pan. works great. my budy just built a new engine and went with a stef's b&b, steel pan. the b&b is not as nice as mine, but for the price, its nicer than most. its a great buy. the nicest steel pan ive seen, and works great too. call rex, they are a lot of pan for the money.

·
Registered
541 Posts

Josh and I have been thru some recent BBC oiling issues earlier this season one engine and now have been using Cantons (very nice quality and reasonble)and Stefs/B&B with better success , not so much Milodon :( Tom

Chuck is correct however we simply knotch the standard plates and let the ends run wild over the tops of the stringers to accomdate the narrow Miller set up
hi tom the last miller i did was an 1" wider then the standard plates go fig. but hey glad to see your keeping up on the craftsmanship and notching :)hand

1 - 14 of 14 Posts