Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a JL guy and yes, I would like to stick with JL, but the price is whats got me thinking.
I am installing (8) JL 770’s 4ohms 100RMS and leaving (4) MB Quart 4ohms 100RMS that are currently installed. Total of 12 speakers.

JL audio support recommends that I use (2) HD 600/4 (150 W RMS x 4 @ 1.5 ohm-4 ohm. Price for (2) of these is $1000-$1200.

I went to local audio store and was suggested I use (1) PDX 4.150 (Per channel into 4 ohms : 150W x 4). Internet price $425.00

What has the experience been with the PDX 4.150? Does it hold up to extreme heated outside temps?
Is this one amp going to make this system rock?

Thanks

·
Registered
63 Posts
One vote for PDX

Have heard both a time or two and still like the PDX 4.150 w/each 7.7 getting a full channel of its own.
Have had very good luck with this setup.
The JL HD is a very good amp should not be priced as high as they are.
IMHO
Not a big fan of internet electronics;)
The extra money spent buying where you boat could pay off BIG TIME.

·
Old Skool Member
6,519 Posts
Have heard both a time or two and still like the PDX 4.150 w/each 7.7 getting a full channel of its own.
Have had very good luck with this setup.
The JL HD is a very good amp should not be priced as high as they are.
IMHO
Not a big fan of internet electronics;)
The extra money spent buying where you boat could pay off BIG TIME.
I agree....GO SEE FRANK, GO SEE FRANK, GO SEE FRANK

That is supposed to be like GO SEE CAL......

:)

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Let us know what you get and how they work. I have 8 mb quart QM216's powered by 2 jl 300.4's, but I need to replace 4 of the seperates. I keep hearing great things about the 7.7's but am sceptical if the amp will do the job with ease at 12 volts.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have a pdx 1.1000 pushin two mb quart 12's, and a pdx 4.150 pushing four mb quart 5.25's and two mb quart 6x9's and it plays loud and clear. I have had them in the boat for a season and a half and they play all day loudly, and have never shut off on me. The amps are tucked away between the side panel and side of the boat so they get no air circulation either. They are all in a 21 foot closed bow ultra by the way.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
I'm running one PDX 1000.1 and 3 PDX 4.150 and love them...best amps I've ever owned. Hammer them everytime we are out and they have never shut off on me. Two are under the cuddy and the other two burried in the sponson with very little air flow. They also use very little power. I am still running the 3 stock deep cycle Marine batts to the stereo and have never run out of juice with the PDX's.

Chris

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have asked this question of a couple installers who I trust and they sell both....both said go with JL HD....I have used PDX's and found at they would shut down at really high volumes....used 1000.1 and 4.150...

Bummer cause they are cheaper then the JL's...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update on my install.

Speakers:
8 JL Audio 7.7 Components (New)
4 MB Quartz Components (couple yrs old)
2 MA audio subs (Junk) Will be replacing with JL W7 12s soon.

Amps:
2 Alpine PDX 4.150 (New)
1 TMA mono (Junk)

This system totally rocks and is so crisp. Very loud and Zero distortion. PDX amps are mounted out where they get free air cooling. I ran this system for 5hrs straight at full volume much of the time (Full volume Atleast for 2hrs straight). TMA amp would get hot and shut down. PDX would be quite warm, but I could hold my hand on the face. Never did they shut down. Running 2 blue tops and she started right up. I, and many others in my group very impressed with this set up, other than the subs.
I recommend these PDX amps. very much. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks for the responses here that help me with putting this system together.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Update on my install.

Speakers:
8 JL Audio 7.7 Components (New)
4 MB Quartz Components (couple yrs old)
2 MA audio subs (Junk) Will be replacing with JL W7 12s soon.

Amps:
2 Alpine PDX 4.150 (New)
1 TMA mono (Junk)

This system totally rocks and is so crisp. Very loud and Zero distortion. PDX amps are mounted out where they get free air cooling. I ran this system for 5hrs straight at full volume much of the time (Full volume Atleast for 2hrs straight). TMA amp would get hot and shut down. PDX would be quite warm, but I could hold my hand on the face. Never did they shut down. Running 2 blue tops and she started right up. I, and many others in my group very impressed with this set up, other than the subs.
I recommend these PDX amps. very much. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks for the responses here that help me with putting this system together.
Good to hear about your system....since this thread I have a done a ton more research on the mini class D amps and cannot really find anything except perception that folks think one is better then the other....and it really comes down to what the retailer is trying to push or what the person has in their car/boat....reading on other boards I am finding that power is power with these class D's....the JL's have some newer features but if you don't need those features the PDX's are a better deal.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts

Im partial to the PDX amps. I have hammered them in our wakeboard boat for hours and hours on end at pretty much full tilt and have yet have one shut off on me. just got the "marine" PDX amps installed in the stoker and know they will perform flawlessly liek they have in the other boats we have them in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just when the day was starting to get wild I blew out 2 channels in one the Amps. yesterday. Really Sucked.

I have run this system 3-5hrs at full volume or mostly (30/33). Probably around 25hrs total. No problems.

Soon after loosing power to these 2 channels I started to get distortion in the other speakers. Checked the battery power and batteries still had good amount of juice. The 2 fuses on the back of amp are still good.

Waiting to hear back from the shop on the problem. Will update with details.

·
....at the Speed of Sound
696 Posts
Soon after loosing power to these 2 channels I started to get distortion in the other speakers. Checked the battery power and batteries still had good amount of juice.
Whats a "good amount"?

3-5 hrs at close to max volume with 2 blue tops. Low voltage was probably the problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Running 2 Blue Tops. Did not have volt meter. but knowing the engines won't start if they are below 11V.

I understand that low voltage can fry the amp.
Labor day wkend I ran this system long and loud all 4 days and had no problems. One time was atleast 5hrs constant.
I did run the batteries down to where the boat did not start, but system was still playing perfect. Started gen. and charged batteries and started right up.

Why yesterday after only couple hrs did I start having problems?

I guess what I am trying to say is have run much longer and harder without problems than yesterday.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just got off the phone with Alpine Tech Support and was advised that low voltage is not my problem. He stated that low voltage would cause distortion and the amp will go into safe mode if the voltage demand is more than what is available.

·
....at the Speed of Sound
696 Posts
Just got off the phone with Alpine Tech Support and was advised that low voltage is not my problem. He stated that low voltage would cause distortion QUOTE]

:)sphss Well i just mentioned "low voltage" because you said.....

Soon after loosing power to these 2 channels I started to get distortion in the other speakers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just got off the phone with Alpine Tech Support and was advised that low voltage is not my problem. He stated that low voltage would cause distortion QUOTE]

:)sphss Well i just mentioned "low voltage" because you said.....

Soon after loosing power to these 2 channels I started to get distortion in the other speakers.
What I was clarifying is that the Alpine Tech Support advised me that low voltage may effect other brands in a bad way, but the PDX has a built in safe mode. This was also news to me.
I'm still learning.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK, this is embarrassing. My wonderful wife was fooling around with the controls and had the Fade and Balance all the way to one side, there for 2 of the inputs from the head unit had very little input power.
When I confronted her about it, she blamed it on the dog.

Readjusted Fade to 0 and Balance to 0 and we are back jammin.:D:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts