Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before i go out and buy a Skat crank , how usable is the Chevy bb crank in a jet boat app ? I currently have a .010 454 crank im gonna run forged pistons .030-.060 with I beam rods, Tunnel ram , comp cam 11-324-4 with 2-Holley 450 cfm carbs , ported and polished 101 cc heads

?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Before i go out and buy a Skat crank , how usable is the Chevy bb crank in a jet boat app ? I currently have a .010 454 crank im gonna run forged pistons .030-.060 with I beam rods, Tunnel ram , comp cam 11-324-4 with 2-Holley 450 cfm carbs , ported and polished 101 cc heads

?
i wouldnt be afraid to run it...a 461/468ci should handle it...i have 1 in my 427ci with n/p & a friend of mine has a stock 1 in his 468ci...ur not gonna be winging it & it should be just fine...just my .02 cents

FastRat

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
What do you think i can spin it safely to ?
get ahold of Moneypit here on the boards...i have found his advice to be very good...he has a shop in Ft Mohave...he races boats & i think/know he can help u with all ur ??..he wont steer u wrong

FastRat

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
get ahold of Moneypit here on the boards...i have found his advice to be very good...he has a shop in Ft Mohave...he races boats & i think/know he can help u with all ur ??..he wont steer u wrong

FastRat

Oh shit last time Ray was here i got drunk :D

Funny , i never thought about asking him................DUH!!!!!

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
I'm also running a stock cast crank with Speed Pro forged pistons and stock rods as well. Spin it to 5400RPM on an AB impeller all the time and no problems after about 45 hours.

·
Nobody
1,720 Posts
Cast cranks are stronger than most think, they'll run 5500-6000 all day long in a N/A deal, just put a rev limiter on it so you don't zing it to the moon when you grab air!...

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
I don't think everyone has argued enougph today, a cast crank is harder/ more brittle??????????

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
I'm running a cast stocker in my 454..

From what I have been told by various professional engine builders, it's not so much the HP (ie, torque/pressure stress) that breaks them, it's the RPM level tortional stress that kills the cast ones.
I was advised to keep it under 6-grand and it is unlikely to give any troubles.

I'm putting a max of 650HP (nitrous) on mine, 5,900RPM (Aggressor B).

Normal driving maxes it at 5400RPM on arround 500HP.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts

FastRat
Where in Fort Mohave and what's the name of the shop?

·
Distinguished Member
5,772 Posts
I've run a cast crank in a basically stock jet application... a 330 HP Hardin deal and it was fine. Ran it for years. Personally, I wouldn't run a cast crank much past 400 HP and or 5200-5400 RPM. The import engine stuff is getting pretty good and cheap enough, there's not much of a reason to run Chevy stuff once the HP starts going up.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts