Performance Boats Forum banner

Stock market

Tags
market stock
6K views 75 replies 25 participants last post by  TCHB 
#1 ·
This has been a fun week or two capped off with today. Hope some of you are getting back some of that money. I don't jump in/out normally as I am long term but for some of you it might now be the time to trade some of your stocks. I did add to positions a while back and for the most part those stocks look great going forward!

How is everybody else doing?

:)

#2 ·
Started buying the banks and some insurance 2 weeks ago. Today is a happy day.:)

#12 ·
Did the same, short and long term looking better and better by the day... At some point, I will take my initial investment off of the table and let the stocks run from there with no personal risk....

#4 ·
I bought a lot of NN bearing & race (NNBR) and am approaching a 50% profit.
The upside is so huge and the dividend so good (although suspended now) I think I will hold for long term and buy more if it returns to the $1.00 ish level. Along with other stocks.

I like DOW, Harsco steel, Arcelor Mittal, GE, CF industries, Copart and a few others at these prices for long term.

Jim

#8 ·
My son (Who turned 20 today) got into the market in January, sort of a learning experience to augment his College Education (Accounting Major), and he has been doubling his money on a weekly basis. I know of a few stocks he has, but not all of them. I'm gonna pick his brain tonight and get into the market myself:D
Last night he called me and told me he just purchased 10,000 B of A shares and I asked him what in the hell for? Now I see today...Up 26%. Guess sometimes I really DO need to listen to my kids:D;);)

#22 ·
Dilligaf , I'm gauging the economy by watching how my company is doing and that doesn't look very promising on the short run. Our main product is one of the best [ not talking about the consumer stuff like digital cameras and cheap inkjet printers;)] and the orders are way too slow coming in :|err. I'd hesitate to invest in high risk that's for sure. Asian markets will rebound much faster as I could see it already in one of my foreign portfolios.Most of my low risk investments are still a 31% loss at 52 weeks:|err.

#23 ·
Our company is slow on a local basis and busy on a national basis. I understand what you are saying.

I am thinking of selling some of my winners (got to be at least 25% up) and moving into other stocks. As always I defer to my financial guy who has done an excellant job getting me in the position I am in right now. Have been with him for almost 20 years and he has done me right. He reminds me that we are in for the long haul and keeps my head straight.

#24 · (Edited)
LPX is running again this AM. Just saw their earnings release and to me it was pretty disappointing. They do indicate the rest of the year will be better but don't know how much better.

Maybe exurberance is going to start rearing it's head again?

I am going down to the zoo and get a monkey to throw a couple of darts for me.

#26 ·
I had sent my financial guy an email asking him his opinion on selling some of the stocks I own due to large run ups recently and this is what he had to say. This is free paid financial advice I am throwing your way guys. I hope you appreciate it:

Here is the quick answer – no, I don’t sell just because something has gone up. My projections are done looking 10 years forward so I don’t really look at day to day gains – or losses for that matter.

The longer answer, LPX was part of a 3 way buy with LPX, LEA and CEM. I figured 1 or 2 might go BK but if the 3rd survives and gets back to normal business we would be nicely rewarded. CEM will go to zero, LEA may recover (or go BK) and is up 44% today, LPX is down but can go up another 200% to just match the 52 week high. PNRA, I went in several of them on my way to and from the Berkshire Hathaway shareholder meeting this weekend in Omaha and although not as busy as I have seen them they were still busy and were voted best healthy choice restaurant recently. As long as they continue to grow without taking on debt my inclination is to hold on for the bumpy ride. TRA has gone up because of 2 possible merger proposals (one with another holding of ours - CF) so I want to wait and see what happens with both of them. If in a few years we get into inflationary pressure, I think we will be well served with CF, CLF, BG, NUE and TRA. STX, nice run but still we are getting 1 dollar of sales for 37 cents and we can go up 200% and only be at a 52 week high. The new encrypted drives they make under the Maxtor brand I believe will be the standard in every computer where security is a concern. Isn’t that basically every computer sold?

All that said, I review each of these to determine if I want to keep them on an annual basis or if something else looks like it might offer better long term potential. After the Berkshire meeting I might want to own a bit more of that.

#28 ·
I am almost double that TPC. That is why I sent the email to my financial guy. One thing with him he is very steady and continues moving forward. When the market was dramatically down he kept buying more and better positioned us going forward. I trust him fully and without him I would be floundering. I used to do all of my own stuff years ago...had some big winners and losers. I thought it was best for him to handle it for me and it was the best decision I ever made.

#29 ·
Dilligaf , you're a baller like my wife who has her financial adviser too:p.
Me, just shuffle my self directed RRSP funds like a MOFO for a few days now:)hand

These are some of them that did pretty good today > Gainers Change Mkt Cap
SU Suncor Energy Inc. 7.19% 32.96B
RY Royal Bank of Canada 3.14% 63.31B
MFC Manulife Financial Corp. 5.42% 36.63B
ECA EnCana Corporation 3.69% 45.94B
PCA Petro-Canada 8.28%

#31 ·
lol...Not a baller. The guy has been helping me with the business stuff for about 20 years or so. he also handles the 401K stuff for our employees.

When the stocks are doing nothing but going up it is easy but when the shit hits the fan that is where the professional peeps can help out. Not just those fukcs who turn your account for their own benefit :|err Someone who you sat down with, decided on objectives/goals and implemented them.

Good luck going forward. All I know is I enjoy looking at my portfolio these days :)

#34 ·
I had Sirius at .17 sold it at .39 and it's at .55 now. Did the same with Citi made some money and got out. These days any positive money is a good thing. Sitting on the side lines again waiting for the next "great buy"......Would've stayed with them but I needed the money to meet an option date on a private holding.

:D

#36 ·
Just a suggestion........

what about having him take his original investment out and let the rest ride for long term?????
Can you imagine where that stock will be when he is ready to retire???????
I don't know if BOA pays a dividend but if it does, reinvest the dividend into new shares for 20-30 years and your son will be very happy with his stock that didn't cost him a DIME!!!:D

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.