Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was 103 degrees in my garage yesterday so I checked my bottles and they were at about 1200 psi. Will they blow off with too much psi? Should I keep them in the house in the A/C? The old lady will love that. It's not even hot yet. Wait till it gets 115+

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,079 Posts
I forget what the blow off seal is set at, but we've lost more than a couple at the river. Once we came off the water and the guy in the trailer next to us says" I don't know what happened but all hell broke lose in your van" come to find out two of the 4 bottles let go.

When it's over 100* at the river never over fill your bottles by even as little as .5 lb. The pressure relief tab just might let go. :mad:

I think the number " blow off" is around 1,400 :)bulb ????

S CP :D

·
Driver
3,195 Posts
just go to a yard sell and buy them a fridge so them and the beer can party while your away:)devil

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
It was 103 degrees in my garage yesterday so I checked my bottles and they were at about 1200 psi. Will they blow off with too much psi? Should I keep them in the house in the A/C? The old lady will love that. It's not even hot yet. Wait till it gets 115+
I have had them go off before. I would put them in the house

·
Driver
3,195 Posts
look who got permission to use the computer in the adult home i sure hope your not wondering around with a piss cup thinking it's beer again Dave remember you last lock down;) say hi to the misses see ya in 2 weeks

·
No Longer Recovering
916 Posts
A standard DOT 3AL 1800 cylinder should let go at 3000 psi...

There's a reason behind hydro testing :)bulb

·
I don't feel tardy
845 Posts
look who got permission to use the computer in the adult home i sure hope your not wondering around with a piss cup thinking it's beer again Dave remember you last lock down;) say hi to the misses see ya in 2 weeks
Yep, they took away the keys to my Hoveround for two weeks.:p
Looking forward to BR.:)devil

·
Registered
653 Posts
I forget what the blow off seal is set at, but we've lost more than a couple at the river. Once we came off the water and the guy in the trailer next to us says" I don't know what happened but all hell broke lose in your van" come to find out two of the 4 bottles let go.

When it's over 100* at the river never over fill your bottles by even as little as .5 lb. The pressure relief tab just might let go. :mad:

I think the number " blow off" is around 1,400 :)bulb ????

That would have been You Tube video of the year....:D

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,079 Posts
A standard DOT 3AL 1800 cylinder should let go at 3000 psi...

There's a reason behind hydro testing :)bulb
I was surprised at how thin that alumimun tab ( pop off plate) is :)bulb

I didn't remember them being that high( 3,000 psi)

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
my new shop is sheet metal and uninsulated, gets hotttt in the summer and i've never blown a bottle or a supply tank. i usually fill my bottles during the hottest part of the day so there's a bigger pressure difference on the bottles when they come outta the deep freezer.

·
The Man
1,788 Posts
I had a bottle mounted on the back deck of my Z28. I think it was June, I filled the bottle and didn't think about it getting that hot. Black car/black leather. Went outside that afternoon and the needle had wrapped around and was pegged on the underside of the needle stop at 0. My blowoff never popped, it was a new 15lb bottle. That would have been ugly. I was a nervous mofo taking that bottle inside to the a/c.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
I had a bottle mounted on the back deck of my Z28. I think it was June, I filled the bottle and didn't think about it getting that hot. Black car/black leather. Went outside that afternoon and the needle had wrapped around and was pegged on the underside of the needle stop at 0. My blowoff never popped, it was a new 15lb bottle. That would have been ugly. I was a nervous mofo taking that bottle inside to the a/c.
should've just crammed the throttle and let off some pressure:D:)st:)st:)st

·
no need 2 fake it.
1,702 Posts
heard about one going off when i was a kid at vic's OLD shop in farmerjohns truck! hot day gettin ready for the rio, from what i remember, all the guys jumped in the truck and closed the doors? :)hand

·
About 500' AGL
2,470 Posts
Never leave any pressurized container in a vehicle in the sun. Weather it is a can of beer or soda or a N20 bottle. A vehicle left in the sun can easily become 50 degrees hotter inside than the ambient temperature outside.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,079 Posts
Never leave any pressurized container in a vehicle in the sun. .
I know someone who lost a can of Cheese Wiz in a car on a hot day. What a mess that was for him to clean.

I had a 7-UP can blow in a car. That was sticky shit to clean up.

·
About 500' AGL
2,470 Posts
I know someone who lost a can of Cheese Wiz in a car on a hot day. What a mess that was for him to clean.

I had a 7-UP can blow in a car. That was sticky shit to clean up.

I had to borrow my dads truck 2 yrs ago to go to the river...didn't know the wife put a 12 pack of Dr. Pepper in the back seat. 4 of the cans exploded and two of them landed on the front floorboard. The entire interior was splattered including the headliner. Opened the door after all day on the water and said, "WTF?" I couldn't believe the detailer got it all out. ;)

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
When you peg those little guages you can damage the gauge because they have small gears in them and they skip a tooth when you peg the gauge and it will be way off after that. Those guages are not accurate anyways, get some better quality gauges if you are watching bottle pressure closely.

Ive never had one go off but I would keep them inside also.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts