Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I cure stress cracks, boat was striped down after many coats of being painted through the years, now primed and blocked out, but it sat in this Oklahoma heat and the stress cracks has came back through in a few spots sitting in this Oklahoma heat. I don't wanna gel coat it, its going with a lime green flaked out and a pearl white with flake as well.

·
CAPTAIN KRYLON
101 Posts
How do I cure stress cracks, boat was striped down after many coats of being painted through the years, now primed and blocked out, but it sat in this Oklahoma heat and the stress cracks has came back through in a few spots sitting in this Oklahoma heat. I don't wanna gel coat it, its going with a lime green flaked out and a pearl white with flake as well.
Findem- grindem-fillem.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Simple enough. That was my first though. Was thinking mayb some one knew a trick around it. It's ready for paint now, but the cracks came in now, so I need to find them done and glaze them I guess and RE-block it. Ugh I hate blocking!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"""Grind them done and fill them""" is what I meant to say, excuse my autocorrect on my phone.

·
CAPTAIN KRYLON
101 Posts
Simple enough. That was my first though. Was thinking mayb some one knew a trick around it. It's ready for paint now, but the cracks came in now, so I need to find them done and glaze them I guess and RE-block it. Ugh I hate blocking!

You might want something stronger than glaze.
I did mine with a mixture of resin and Cabisol.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya, I was thinking glass them.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Just a suggeston if the cracks are not repaired properly ( glassed ) they will always reappear , and with that in mind i personally would hate to see anyone including myself go thru all the time ,work , and money that is involved for materials just to have the cracks reappear because i failed to go the X-tra mile. Just curious could you post some pics of the area's of concern ?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I the boat stored at my dads right now, it's been so hot in Oklahoma haven't been able to work on its soon as I get I've to it I'll take some photos, they are thin fine cracks that I thought were gone, but sitting in primer after being blocked I see a few have popped back out. So I will need to glass them over I'm sure. I try to make things pretty rather than for pure performance, I'm going with a lime green flaked over a pearl white on the boat, it'll be catchy. I just don't want the flaws in it already

·
Registered
9 Posts
must be glassed from both sides.let it cure alone dont heat cure it .....also to keep the cracks from spreading take and drill a hole at the end of the cracks before repair

1 - 12 of 12 Posts