Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
The white or yellow is delaminated glass. Need to grind all that out and reglass. Might need to trim the bulk head so its not so close to the hull so it wont happen again.

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
The white or yellow is delaminated glass. Need to grind all that out and reglass. Might need to trim the bulk head so its not so close to the hull so it wont happen again.
Sounds good to me, ya beat me to it!

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At any point should i stop grinding through the hull or should i keep going until all the yellow/white is removed or i hit the bulk head. As for glass what should i fill with? How should i repair the gel? The gel i have is pretty close by it self, but if i mix that aerocill stuff with it, it darkens the gel and it's way off. I've been doing other bottom repairs with just pure gel but nothing this large.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
All the delam has to be removed wether you go all the way through or not. If you dont get it all out it will just happen again. I chased a stress crack once that looked to be 2" long. Turned out it was 8' yes 8 feet long. It wont mater if you go through the hull, just patch the crack on the outside and then fill the crack on the inside.
I would use some 2oz matted glass stacked a few times and then sand and shape. Its going to get ugly before it gets pretty.....:D

On the gell, just feather out the repair so the gell will stick and when you spray, spray past the repair like your feathering it out a bit. This way when you go to sand the repair to get the gell nice, you wont have a nice ugly ridge.I go about 6-8" past the repair and that way it "kinda" blends. You will notice the new gell regaurdless if you color match the stained faded white. The new gell isnt like the good old days.

Good luck.

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whats the sanding proceedure here. for the bottom stuff i've been using 180 to cut it down and 360 to finish, then hit it with a buffer with some ox remover. Been working fine for the bottom that most wont see but this goes up the side so i want to do it right.

I already grinded out the glass, ended up with a hole in the hull. I patched it up using some matt and cloth i had, i built it up higher than i needed too so i have a bit of sanding to do :D

·
Razor Wire Militia
741 Posts
Whats the sanding proceedure here. for the bottom stuff i've been using 180 to cut it down and 360 to finish, then hit it with a buffer with some ox remover. Been working fine for the bottom that most wont see but this goes up the side so i want to do it right.

I already grinded out the glass, ended up with a hole in the hull. I patched it up using some matt and cloth i had, i built it up higher than i needed too so i have a bit of sanding to do :D
IMO a quick hit with 320 then jump to 600 to get 85% of the orange peel then jump to 1000 then 1500 and buff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts