Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm tuning up my stringers, filling all the holes, and some glass work. The thing I've always hated is when adding torque to the stringer bolts the cracking and the crushing of the stringer as the nuts are taking torque. The idea I'm kicking around is marking the stringer where the rail kit holes are and drilling a very tight 3/4" hole and inserting a resin covered 3/4" hardwood dowel. Then mark with the rail kit and drill a 3/8" hole threw the dowel for the stringer bolt. My thought is that when I torque the rail kit down I'm putting torque against the end grain of the dowel and not squashing the shit out of the stringer.
What do you think? Waste of time, or worth the trouble? I'm working there and glassing is going to happen anyway.
Thanks, be safe. schick

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
I'm plenty new at this but a 3/8 hole through 3/4 doesn't leave all that much material.

I just did the fill and finish deal on my stringers with a single layer of carbon fiber/epoxy and i noticed when bolting the rails and steering back in it felt plenty solid...
It didn't seem to have any of that compression/crush thing going on.

·
Banned
3,397 Posts
They have a liquid resin that you can pour into your stringers that will harden after a few days, making the stringer very hard...I don't know what it was called, but I picked it up at a local boat shop...Svenson's in Alameda.

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
Hmmm, I am thinking that if you are rigging a boat, and are worried about squeezing the bolts through the stringer, add a backing plate to the outside, problem solved, it only pulls when you have a stringer washer to the outside anyway!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts