Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Late Start-er
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if anyone knows what type of washer this is, what they were originally intended to be used for and if they might still be available. Dad used lots of them rigging the 1967 Belmont flat bottom and I would like to get more of them just to keep the boat the way he built it.

They are octagon shaped, 1-1/2" from tip to tip for a 3/8" bolt and they are cupped, or conical, or spring, or compression or whatever. I thought they might be fender or bumper washers or even something electricians might have used back then. I've looked up everything I could think of online with no results.

Thanks
JT

Attachments

·
Some guy
3,646 Posts
They are octagon shaped, 1-1/2" from tip to tip for a 3/8" bolt and they are cupped, or conical, or spring, or compression or whatever. I thought they might be fender or bumper washers or even something electricians might have used back then. I've looked up everything I could think of online with no results.

Thanks
JT
They are actually hex shaped, 6 sides. Try a simple search for "hexagonal washers"

·
Late Start-er
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. My mistake. I typed it wrong in the 1st post but I actually started the searching for hex and at some point ended up with octagon thru the results. Still never found them. The only thing that looks close but not the same was a body bumper bracket to frame alignment washer for 64-67 gm stuff for about $4 a piece (or more). If Dad used them, they must have been plentiful and inexpensive at the time.

·
Late Start-er
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate your time but I went thru all of the pages for that sight and all the other sites I could find with a ton of different search criteria and I can not find a washer that looks like my photos. I found some flat ones, but not cupped ones like mine, and not as big as mine. I'm guessing that nobody is currently producing new ones like this, which shouldnt really surprise me.

The only thing that looks close in appearance to me, but they are not good photos or descriptions, are "factory-correct" bumper bracket alignment washers for 1964-1967 El Camino, Chevelle, Malibu etc restorations, but as you pointed out, those are 8 sided instead of six and $4-6 a pop.

I get that I can use regular round washers or buy new blingy purple ones but if I can find the same ones, I will use them to "restore" the original look of the stringers where I have had to use round washers. Not a big deal. I do like these however, because they are different (hence, impossible to find) and the cup works for holding a bit of sealer to help keep the moisture out of the bolt holes.

I was hoping some old hot-rod boat or car guys that are as old as Dad and still alive might be able to say, "Oh ya, that is a whatchamacallit off of a thingamajig."

Thanks Obnoxious1

·
Registered
336 Posts
material and thickness

What material is it made from and how thick is it. Reminds me of the sheet metal stamped nuts that hold the marker lights on my trailer. Which are from a 68 Dodge.
Darin

Attachments

·
Late Start-er
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Steel and a LOT thicker, almost 1/8" (.1)
It is cupped about .21 "

Not sure if these pics are any better

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Not really a washer - more along the lines of a tinnerman nut. Why not just use a large washer that has a smaller center hole and just tap it to the size you need.

·
Late Start-er
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not really a washer - more along the lines of a tinnerman nut. Why not just use a large washer that has a smaller center hole and just tap it to the size you need.
Thanks Tinkerer but although I do see the resemblance, I do not believe this is a tinnerman nut. Again, the reason for wanting these is for restoration - I realize there are lots of other washers I can use. I really didnt think these things were going to be such a freakin mystery.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Aveco may have them, but you are spot on they are bumper washers for early 60's GM cars. I still have a couple in my bolt bucket, used to restore GM's back in the 80's and had a bunch at one time. Oh yeh they were cheap back then.

·
Late Start-er
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nailed it!

Stan found em!
Thanks Stan

AMK Products Part number B-13385

.44 X 1.25 X .11 INT/PERI WA 1.25 OD, PHOS. 2 pk

That is the way it is listed in their catalog. Not sure what it means.

Down to a buck a piece in bulk

Thanks for everyones input
JT

Attachments

·
Late Start-er
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Still available today? That's awesome! Nice detective work...

:D

That is the coolest thing about this site. We've got access to soooo much information and good folks who take the time to help out!

·
Lookout I'm Crankin it Baby
6,576 Posts
JT...I hate to be a dick...but Im gonna try. He used them...but I'm not sure they are right...they BITE into the stringer...as they BIT into the back of a bumper..(steel)..I would use a flat washer of some kind..I know the restoration part is important...but I think this might be where you could fudge..JMO

not to mention they are steel...:wink2:

·
Late Start-er
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You? A dick? Say it aint so!:hmmm:

Ya, good point:duh:

Thanks

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
RCL wow what a dick!

On the subject of stringer washers, who would buy stainless ones if available? I've been kicking around the idea for awhile. Just not sure there's enough demand. Say at twice the price of aluminum or thereabouts.

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts
JT, I agree with RCL. You should ditch the steel washers. They're just going to rust and bite into the stringers and cause more damage to the glass.
I'm not sure when they started using aluminum stringer washers but it sure made life easier. LOL.
My 1967 Howard was rigged by the owner much like your dad did with your Belmont. The owner simply made aluminum plates polish them up and used them where the bolts go through. I have seen a lot of boats rigged this way during that time period. Just an idea and something you could do yourself that would look period correct.

·
Registered
727 Posts
JT...I hate to be a dick...but Im gonna try. He used them...but I'm not sure they are right...they BITE into the stringer...as they BIT into the back of a bumper..(steel)..I would use a flat washer of some kind..I know the restoration part is important...but I think this might be where you could fudge..JMO

not to mention they are steel...:wink2:
I really wanted to say this, but I didn't want to be a dick. :)
I think pops will be ok with it & him seeing what you are doing with the boat brings him great pleasure I'd think.

I'd really consider what the fellas are telling ya.
All the best,
Brian

1 - 20 of 31 Posts