Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He fellas, besides a Heli-Coil etc is there anything on the market or tricks out there to get this 5/16 x 18 bolt to bite and hold 13 lbs of torque?

It's from my Vette transmission Valve-Body that threads into the aluminum case, I never even got to torque it, I just snugged it up and it pulled the threads out!

I thought about inserting a strip or two of thin solder or thin wire to displace the metal and make it bite > like the old wood-screw trick.
I would HATE to pull the valve body-off again, I just put it on!
Valve Body Bolt.jpg

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Any threads left in the bottom of the hole? You might be able to run stud in it.

·
steelcomp was here
26,528 Posts
Great idea...there are a few, and the hole is deeper than the bolt.
If there was some hard core epoxy to go with a stud, that may do it!
Bottom tap the hole, pick up a couple more threads and JB weld a stud in there. Let it sit for a day then run the nut on.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Like the old saying goes, never enough time to do it right, but always time to do it over. :)hammers
hey Scott, I'm hoping to avoid pulling the valve body as I don't know if the two new gaskets will be resuable and I can't replace them without buying a paper kit.
that's why if you read my first post I asked if there were any tricks to use or MAYBE something over the counter that would work vs a Time-cert or help coil.
We're not talking head bolt torque here but 13 lbs.
I'm not about doing things half assed, so no need to toss your jab in there for 'asking' if there's another option.

GN...yes the 5/16 hole is blind.

·
steelcomp was here
26,528 Posts
hey Scott, I'm hoping to avoid pulling the valve body as I don't know if the two new gaskets will be resuable and I can't replace them without buying a paper kit.
that's why if you read my first post I asked if there were any tricks to use or MAYBE something over the counter that would work vs a Time-cert or help coil.
We're not talking head bolt torque here but 13 lbs.
I'm not about doing things half assed, so no need to toss your jab in there for 'asking' if there's another option.

GN...yes the 5/16 hole is blind.
I gave you as good a suggestion as I could, but I'm also giving you the best advice I can, having been there, done that enough times to know; buy another paper kit if you have to, take the thing apart and do it right or as sure as I'm typing this, you'll wish you had, in the end. Sorry if you don't like my answer, but it wasn't meant as a jab.

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The bottom tap and stud idea worked fabulously...that hole was almost 5/16" deeper.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Bingo! The stud was always plan "A'. The cheapest easiest way first as long as it didn't cause a problem with plan "B".

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Just run a metric bolt down the hole till its snug. It's just a th350 not that critical doesn't have to be 13lbs just snug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Damn, it's like we went to different schools together.....although i would have avoided saying that here over being called a hack....Not to say i have never done it...Or even sunk a stud in hole that someone else drilled crooked and then 'straightened' the stud.:))eek:))

·
Distinguished Member
5,780 Posts
Just run a metric bolt down the hole till its snug. It's just a th350 not that critical doesn't have to be 13lbs just snug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's what we call going "full hillbilly"!! Now, it's OK to go full hillbilly if you're trying to make a final round or something like that but you never wanna go full hillbilly on a repair you want to last. See, when you go full hillbilly on a regular repair, you can bet it's gonna fail at the worst possible time... say on hwy 80 between Reno and Elko in mid-July. And finally, if you MUST go full hillbilly, you NEVER admit to it in public or let your friends see you do it. Thats the rules..... or at least how we do it:shock:

·
steelcomp was here
26,528 Posts
That's what we call going "full hillbilly"!! Now, it's OK to go full hillbilly if you're trying to make a final round or something like that but you never wanna go full hillbilly on a repair you want to last. See, when you go full hillbilly on a regular repair, you can bet it's gonna fail at the worst possible time... say on hwy 80 between Reno and Elko in mid-July. And finally, if you MUST go full hillbilly, you NEVER admit to it in public or let your friends see you do it. Thats the rules..... or at least how we do it:shock:
LOL...another :))THumbsUp

1 - 20 of 37 Posts