Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought a xh511, some of the few existing hardware items I want to reuse are powdercoated. What is the best way to strip it off so I can polish and anodize the parts ?

Thanks
Anthony Ervolina

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have had to do the same thing with my boat. The best thing I've found to work is aircraft stripper. Brush it on, let it sit a few mins, and scrape off. You may have to do a couple coats but it will come off. When you get it off, just sand the part until it's ready to polish.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have had to do the same thing with my boat. The best thing I've found to work is aircraft stripper. Brush it on, let it sit a few mins, and scrape off. You may have to do a couple coats but it will come off. When you get it off, just sand the part until it's ready to polish.
Cool, I will try that and also came across something online about permetex gasket remover working also. I know they changed the product a few years back but I still have some old cans hopefully good. I will try both and see what works.

BTW is this Scott Rod Fab ?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
122 Posts
ok cool, I have seen a lot of your stuff on YB
Cool, thanks. I have been making our aluminum parts for the cars for about 6 years now, but grew up with my dad racing drag boats. My brother bought his Hondo GT deck that he used race, back this summer and he talked me into a 76 XH 511 also. So now I'm in the middle of completely redoing it.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cool, thanks. I have been making our aluminum parts for the cars for about 6 years now, but grew up with my dad racing drag boats. My brother bought his Hondo GT deck that he used race, back this summer and he talked me into a 76 XH 511 also. So now I'm in the middle of completely redoing it.
HA HA, same with me. My dad raced CF and PGF in the 80's and then got away from it. I have been building cars and racing cars but now its time to do a fun father, son, grandson project. Really excited to build the rigging and with my dad and son/sons to top it off

·
a.k.a. "Mean Pair"
5,969 Posts
stripping powder coat

I've used this before, it looks like Jabsco, doesn't seem to be caustic, may take a couple of applications.
I bought a large plastic, tuppaware tray and lid @ the local hardware store, put a gallon in and my parts. I'd roll them over and brush the goo around till most was loose, then clean with water. the goo doesn't seem to lose its strength with use.

DeKote Paint and Powder Stripper

·
Registered
122 Posts
HA HA, same with me. My dad raced CF and PGF in the 80's and then got away from it. I have been building cars and racing cars but now its time to do a fun father, son, grandson project. Really excited to build the rigging and with my dad and son/sons to top it off
Post up some pics of the build, would like to follow your build. I have mine going on "Hondo flat under restoration". It's cool you are doing a family project.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Post up some pics of the build, would like to follow your build. I have mine going on "Hondo flat under restoration". It's cool you are doing a family project.
I will, haven't done much yet. A few billet things but cant start until I make room in the shop. Got to do an engine in a 56 ford pickup then I will have room when the trucks gone

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've used this before, it looks like Jabsco, doesn't seem to be caustic, may take a couple of applications.
I bought a large plastic, tuppaware tray and lid @ the local hardware store, put a gallon in and my parts. I'd roll them over and brush the goo around till most was loose, then clean with water. the goo doesn't seem to lose its strength with use.

DeKote Paint and Powder Stripper
that's expensive

1 - 20 of 20 Posts