Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Boat 502
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a special tool for this job ? Need to replace mine and just curious how you guys are taking them out. Would a bolt w/ a allen head and a washer the size of the inside diameter of the seal and then a larger washer and nut on the other side work ?? Thanks for any help.

·
Break Out Another Thousnd
2,040 Posts
Seal or bushing? Struts have bushings and then the shaft log has a seal. To which are you referring?

·
Boat 502
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The strut, not the shaft log. I want to remove and replace the "strut bushing/bearing".

If you grab and wiggle the prop shaft, its not bad, but its looser up and down then side to side. Is this normal wear ?

·
Boat 502
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you grab and wiggle the prop shaft, its not bad, but its looser up and down then side to side. Is this normal wear ?

Sounds like my ex mother in law....:)
I didn't think that comment was going to slip by....:D

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts

Sounds like my ex mother in law....:)
So you were wiggling around in your MIL????:))eek:))

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
strut bushings

i agree with homez. i use a sawzall but a hacksaw blade will work. start at the back & then drive front one out. this is a good thing to do at leaste once a year. and also look at the prop shaft for ware. my 2 cents. andy

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
I just did mine 2 nights ago. Just like theY said...cut 'er and pull it out. To put the new one in i used 3/4" all thread, nuts and washers and ran it through the strut then just started drawing it in.

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Since it sounds like you haven't done this before. If you are using a fiber bushing, draw a line the length of it with a marker, cut in half, install the two halves in each end of the strut with the lines lined up. The bore of the hole on the fiber bushings is not perfectly centered.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts