Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
tintingsandiego
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you using on bolts to hold the stuffer in... red/blue thread sealer....anti seize/ silicone?

·
tintingsandiego
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about adding a weep hole? Like 1/8 or so.

·
tintingsandiego
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking of blue thread sealer as I dont what the bolts to back out. What about a weep hole....Anyone suggest that?

·
Registered
354 Posts
the stuffing box should drip under power about 10-20 drops a minute.just enough to keep the packing rings cool. you won't want a weep hole, the stuffing box leaking is the only way to cool the ring and shaft clearance. when you put the gland in it may be a one or two piece gland, run it in to seat the packing then back it off to hand tight, run it in 1/2 turn at a time till it just drips out like i said, the pressure from the pump pushing on the packing will be enough to keep the bolts from backing off.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
the stuffing box should drip under power about 10-20 drops a minute.just enough to keep the packing rings cool. you won't want a weep hole, the stuffing box leaking is the only way to cool the ring and shaft clearance. when you put the gland in it may be a one or two piece gland, run it in to seat the packing then back it off to hand tight, run it in 1/2 turn at a time till it just drips out like i said, the pressure from the pump pushing on the packing will be enough to keep the bolts from backing off.
Stuffing box is on a flat, packings on the shaft is what your talking about. What th OP is asking about is a stuffer. A plate bolted to the bowl to get rid of the void on the exit side of the bowl.

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
Mine is filled with epoxy, and bolts secured by loctite. You don't want water trapped in there, if you live in a freezing climate.

·
tintingsandiego
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have tapped four 10-24 to the outer rim and thought a small 1/8 hole for weep. I wanted to tap bigger but the thickness of the plate vs the flat top bolt would only allow that for clearance. I live in san diego so no freeze here but dont want it to hold water. I like the epoxy idea...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts