Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an "Officejet J4540" HP printer a couple of years ago, and although I can usually coax it to print, it now refuses to SCAN for copies... I'll bet I've made no more than 2 dozen copies in this printer's life, and of course it's out of warranty... I called the "help" tech line and after telling me its out of warranty, he tries to "discount" me into another printer. I said no, I just want to know how to make it scan.... "OH, well THAT information will cost you $37.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Remember, this printer sees very little use, very little...So little, the ink dries out and I have to replace the cartridges waaaay too often...And waaaay too expensive...
Just a heads up to my PB pals, avoid HP printers if you're expecting any kind of durable service, and/or, any kind of customer service after their shitty product quits working....
Ray

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have a HP 6310, about 4 years old and it screws up all the time now also. I'll get ready to print something off the internet and it won't print till I power it off and restart it, I don't think it will scan to the computer and store it any more. I guess I'll just shit can this one and spend the money for a new one, I'll probably spend the extra $30.00-$40.00 for the extended warranty so that it's covered for 4 years. Anybody have any idea what would have good service life in the $140.00-$175.00 range for an all in one with fax?

·
Can't re-Member
1,990 Posts
I was done with HP everything a couple years ago... Designed to fail.

·
8anned
4,154 Posts
Yup. Victim of the C7240 here. Doesn't recognize née ink, always jammed, sucks!

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
I bought an "Officejet J4540" HP printer a couple of years ago, and although I can usually coax it to print, it now refuses to SCAN for copies... I'll bet I've made no more than 2 dozen copies in this printer's life, and of course it's out of warranty... I called the "help" tech line and after telling me its out of warranty, he tries to "discount" me into another printer. I said no, I just want to know how to make it scan.... "OH, well THAT information will cost you $37.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Remember, this printer sees very little use, very little...So little, the ink dries out and I have to replace the cartridges waaaay too often...And waaaay too expensive...
Just a heads up to my PB pals, avoid HP printers if you're expecting any kind of durable service, and/or, any kind of customer service after their shitty product quits working....
Ray
Ray try reinstalling the printer driver. If you have never scanned on this machine till this morning at 2 something am, then it may need to be set up.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Use your install disks that came with the printer. Scanning software and drivers are separate from the printer drivers and program.

Your computer will continue to have problems since it was somewhat not a good build (based on your numerous posts). Not meant to offend, just an observation. Sorry :(

Canon multi-functions work great and will save you tons in ink costs since they still print in "draft" mode, which results are still useable. HP and Epson are ink hogs in that regard.

·
Marine Organism
12,743 Posts
X2 on the Cannon. I have an older Cannon MP 470 that works great. Nothing but ink cartridges.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
I am done with H-P myself. As far as printers go I have one H-P left. It is a all in one but it is not a ink jet. Toner cartridges are not cheep but it has been working for 6+ years and keeps on working making 25-30 pages a day.

P.S. I have switched to Epson's as the H-P's die and have been great.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re install...

Ray try reinstalling the printer driver. If you have never scanned on this machine till this morning at 2 something am, then it may need to be set up.
Oh I've copied with it before, but never faxed anything because I don't have a "landline" phone here in the shop. (or anywhere for that matter, thanks to many years of excellent T Mobil cell service) (originally set up by a HB member out of Simi Valley sometime around 05)... I'm going to remove the printer program from the computer, and try re installing from the start. Maybe, as mentioned, it is something in my computer, but I'm not trying to "scan to computer", just make a stinking copy of some ARP info sheets for another racer here in Bullhead.... I'll let you know how that works out....
Ray
PS the "printer" still works when prompted by the computer, it just gives me a "scanner failure" after it fries/cycles back up, before I even try to scan.....
PSS Maybe part of my frustration was the "Indian" call center tech rep's piss poor grasp of the English language as he tried to convince me to "upgrade", at a discount of course. He even offered me free shipping if I wanted to buy another HP unit.... AND then, the idea of PAYING $37.00 for tech support was the real slap in the face I didn't need at 2AM.....
PSSS I searched "HP printers suck" on google, seems as though there are a few thousand posts about these HP units and premature failures....

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hey Moneypit,
I have a brand new Officejet 6310 never opened for sale for cheap, and Im in Newbury Park ;)!!!!! That is if u want another HP :wink2:

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Couldn't  be any worse that Kodacrap..I bought one of their "cheapest ink on the market'  deals..It might be cheap to use if you use it every day....I don't....I will barely print 6 pages in 4 months without needing ink..The real rip is when the<br>ink (color) runs out..You can't even print a document....And it isn't really out of ink anyway...Looked all over the net for a hack to do an end run around their ink level software with no luck...there is no low ink level sensor on the cartridge....More like a time thing.....and don't  even think about storing one......<br>Last time i needed to print something  i was in a hurry.....printed first page....has 1/4 tank of black showing...shut down on the second page......short of pitching it against the wall i took a chance....gave the bottom of the the cartridge and the place where the head sits a squirt of gumout carb cleaner......printed 15 pages so far with no problems..on the first couple pages the ink had that watered down look....fixed itself right after that...As for HP mufti-function units....I can't think of a single pc add on that uses half the resources those things do....

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
MP - that being the case, doesn't it have a "copy" feature? A standalone button on the machine itself that copies, not scans?

Most every all-in-one I'm aware can be fully operated on the printer panels itself with its scan, copy, fax and card reader functions. Try disconnecting the printer cable from the computer and copying/printing from the machine itself.

That, or visit an UPS store, lol.

For years I would carry around my Canon all-in-one in my trunk while I was out in the field. Worked great, excepot the ink would always dry on the print head due to infrequency of use; then it would use 1/2 the ink unclogging it, re-charging the print head. Finally I said screw it it, plenty of Kinko's around to pop in and pull/print from my email.:))THumbsUp

·
Premium Member
4,020 Posts
Ray try reinstalling the printer driver. .
x2, try to download an update from hp.com

MP - that being the case, doesn't it have a "copy" feature? A standalone button on the machine itself that copies, not scans?
x2. eyeball the screen on the printer, make sure you're hitting "cooy" instead of trying to "scan" to a place that doesn't exist.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts