Performance Boats Forum banner

Sunkisst Gullwings

15K views 66 replies 27 participants last post by  DuaneHTP 
#1 · (Edited)
I have, over the years read a lot about the"GULLWING"...Now ,I know they have been made by a handfull of folks over the years, InTennesse..Mine was made by the SUNKISST Guys in Memphis Tennesse.Does anyone know,did they build GO-FAST Boat Boats...Or did they build all the hulls the same?...Did they sell the molds...Where did they go?...I was told by the man I purchased mine from that it was a "LIGHT LAYUP"...Thoughts???? I recently went from a hi-comp 468 going 94.1,GPS, to a pump-gas 454 and I am really happy with the results...going 81.1 mph GPS.Is this PAR?This is an 18 foot flatside...BC impeller with the 468@ 94.1 to the alumimum AA impeller@ 81.1?

#2 ·
They did make "go fast" boats, I dont think I have seen a "Gull wing" but I have seen several true tunnel boats in the 400# range, thay are almost identical to the Mantra tunnels (pointed nose),similar to CP tunnels and I have seen several "v" bottoms made by Sunkist, you said your boat has "flat sides" not to insult you, but do you know the difference between a Gullwing (Cathedral Hull) and a full tunnel?, your best bet to to weigh your boat, and deduct rigging and trailer wieght to get an idea, not exact but ballpark, if your running 81.1 with a warmed over 454 in my opinion your ahead of the game..........Vic

#8 ·
Sunkisst(jack) has a gullwing design, actually his boat is the same one that was on the front cover of the old Sunkisst flyer.

ChrisG82 should be a Sunkisst tunnel.

I have a Sunkisst gullwing now and used to have a Sunkisst "V" before that.

I havent had any problems on shut down.....Knock on wood...

#10 ·
I dont know if you have ever had a hard shut down in that boat, but when you do, it is notorious for pitching the driver/passengers, here is the short version as to why, water is entering the pump at say 70mph, the impeller stops turning for any number of reasons, then the water is effectively blocked building upward pressure on a very light hull, forcing the transom of the boat upward and the bow down, the entry angle on your sponsons will act like like a knife re entering the water, the problem is that one sponson will enter first and put the boat in a violent turn either right or left, (dont burn the boat yet) to help avoid this pop off valves were developed to relieve the pressure and help with this, also the "ratchet release" from Hi-Tech will allow the impeller to continue turning even if the motor locks up completly or just dies at 70mph, some tunnel hull designs have overcome this problem, TPR Stealth, Cheyenne's etc , the "up" side is it is an naturally quick hull with minimal horsepower, there are ways to modify the entry angle but its expensive, if I remember right either Tom Bandy or Jerry Hicks has done this, also there is a "duct" device being tested to help overcome this, that looks promising. I love mine, but its like dating the hot chick, better keep an eye on her..........Vic

#11 ·
Are you talking about "Unchained"s design,...the one he installed on the red.yellow and blue TPR Stealth? i think he's in the north west somewhere and has since sold the boat with his contraption (I believe) still on it.
If not?...care to elaborate on this "Duct" design?...if its different than thesaid above,...i for one am interested in it!
Todd

#14 ·
NO!...i am not saying that! i am clearly stating that i would like to hear peoples results that have used this deal extensivly and the pro's/con's as to wether it is a quality "Safety" piece or purley like the "Orange swapt-meet shamois!
I have no opinions about this product,...just want to hear others experience!
Thank you!
Tbag out!

#16 ·
NO!...i am not saying that! i am clearly stating that i would like to hear peoples results that have used this deal extensivly and the pro's/con's as to wether it is a quality "Safety" piece or purley like the "Orange swapt-meet shamois!
I have no opinions about this product,...just want to hear others experience!
Thank you!
Tbag out!

Todd, The quality is bullet proof, mine was machined in Michigan after sending the details of my particular pump set back, transom line etc to Unchained, it was sent back to Oklahoma and fitted at my shop. give the guys that have them a little more time for an honest evaluation, so far their is one totally convinced racer that I know of, and I will be taliking to him this week, gotta go............Vic

#25 ·
Between the Sunkisst's, Youngblood's and Warhawk's (all gullwings)that we have floating around here no problems on shut down or at least that I have heard of (knock on wood again). The only one happened about a year or so ago but that was in a Sunkisst V, come to find out that boat had some unkown structural defects, and he was pushing the limit off the hull. That one ran about 105 on the spray. Not to bash Jim or anything, but there seems to be a porpoising problem with some of the Warhawk's due to a wrong set of the intake (thats what I hear at least).

#36 ·
[ the only boat i've ever heard of any testing on with the thing is a heavy layup stealth. i've never heard of a stealth spinning out on loss of power.. danny, have you?? the only stealth i've ever seen lose power was the cotton candy boat when millerkiller owned it, which was a light layup, and when the couple times it died it only made a very lazy right turn. i've seen frank's boat lose power and turn left, but nothing as abrupt as a cp or texas tunnel.[/QUOTE]

I owned the cotton candy boat after Vic got it from Millerkiller, and it is far from a light layup, dont know exactly because I never weighed it but heard rumers that it weighed anywhere from 600 to 750 lbs. Like I said dont know for sure but it was a very stout piece, which is why I got rid of it.

#48 ·
[ the only boat i've ever heard of any testing on with the thing is a heavy layup stealth. i've never heard of a stealth spinning out on loss of power.. danny, have you?? the only stealth i've ever seen lose power was the cotton candy boat when millerkiller owned it, which was a light layup, and when the couple times it died it only made a very lazy right turn. i've seen frank's boat lose power and turn left, but nothing as abrupt as a cp or texas tunnel.
I owned the cotton candy boat after Vic got it from Millerkiller, and it is far from a light layup, dont know exactly because I never weighed it but heard rumers that it weighed anywhere from 600 to 750 lbs. Like I said dont know for sure but it was a very stout piece, which is why I got rid of it.[/QUOTE]

i've rode a few times in that "heavy stealth" at 100+ in the 1000ft and the shutdown in it was awesome each and everytime.

Attachments

#41 · (Edited)
I had my MSD pro mag shut off at well over a 100mph last year on my 19' Placecraft. All I have is a jetaway, which I wouldn't expect to help at that speed. However, the boat went straight, and while I was stairing down the deck with the tip of the bow about 4" from going under, I was sure happy I had the jetaway! I'm thinking a popoff is in my future.

I also have an 18' CP gullwing. I know they don't have "as bad" of a problem with the violent turn as a tunnel in a sudden shut-down, but I put a jetaway in it also, why not???

#52 ·
bp298

your right, but what Mark needed was different types of boats to bolt this thing too, in order to get an idea if the Stealth was a "one trick pony" or if it could benefit other type hulls, I have seen the guys engineering abilty so I signed on to try it, and I told Mark if this thing even lessened the degree of sudden turns,on shutdown, without slowing my boat down it would be worth it to me. so as it stands now, it has caused changes in my set up Im trying to overcome, Im not a cheerleader for "Unchained Enineering" just a jetboat guy giving it a fair shake.......Vic

#56 ·
That would be a large watermelon and a few grape sodas:D:D I gotta keep it Gangsta:D:p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.