Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at the 288 sunsation MCOB and came across the Daves Custom Boats 28 extreme. They both look like great boats, but I wanted to see if anyone has personal experienc with both or has another boat I should be looking at. I would be looking new or close to new. Thanks.

·
Floatin dirty
4,831 Posts
Depends on where you boat and what type of use you want out of your boat. For overall speed, Howard is a good choice, if you boat in big water or open ocean, then the Sunsation would be better. The DCB has decent performance and top of the line rigging. Also the other 2 are gel versus the Sunsation which is painted. If possible, make a test water run in each model to see how you like each one and compare the handling and performance differences.

·
6,873 Posts
He is obviously looking for RUFF water performance, So shit can the howard....
Ok back to what you asked.
They will both handle the ruff water well the dcb is gonna be way faster with the same power. The sunsation is a heavy slow boat. Also the sunsation is real, a very small 26 with a 28 call sign. It is narrow and has very little interior room. The rigging as stated on the DCB can not be matched. If it is for open ocean, I would pick the sunsation, for a lake DCB

·
8anned
4,154 Posts
They will both handle the ruff water well the dcb is gonna be way faster with the same power. The sunsation is a heavy slow boat. Also the sunsation is real, a very small 26 with a 28 call sign. It is narrow and has very little interior room. The rigging as stated on the DCB can not be matched. If it is for open ocean, I would pick the sunsation, for a lake DCB
Looky there, an answer to the question. Good job kilr!

·
HOT SAUCE HERE
749 Posts
I like both boats - some of the new 288's are really sweet from Sunsation. The top speed will not be comparable as the DCB will be faster. I own a DCB (not a 28) and the rigging, build quality is second to none. The only thing that I don't like about the Sunsation (neither does my friend that owns one) is the height from the water to the swim step. It is NOT user friendly. The DCB is much easier to access from the water.

Either way - you can't go wrong. Both are nice boats.

Roln 20s

·
Registered
160 Posts
I stay out of the "which boat is better" pissing matches that occur on these sites. I will suggest that if you find a Sun you are interested in, in addition to a sea trial/survey, call the factory and give Joe the HIN. He will be able to tell you the history of the boat and expected performance.

Happy Boat Shopping:D

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I will echo the sentiments of Roln20's and Kilr. If you are staying on the west coast and want to get rid of the boat in a few years then the DCB is the choice. West coasters will buy west coast boats most of the time when given the chance.

·
Registered
515 Posts
The DCB is the nicer boat,and I just happen to have one for sale:)handIt's an 03'with an 06' 496 mag H.O.I just lowered the price to 45K,you wont find a nicer one for this price.The motor has 31 HRS!!!

Jeff

·
Registered
236 Posts
Being an owner of a Sunsation 288 I dont know that I agree with this. The boat is certainly NOT a 26, in fact the MFG refers to it as a 29 its so big. I think the DCB is faster and lighter but I'm not sure that they are equipt like most of the sunsations. Mine has a sink, fresh water holding tank, Head with holding tank, many of them have refrigerators. They seem to be build as more of a weekender or overnight boat so I think they tend to be a bit heavier. Not sure what the DCB wieghs but my boat weighs like 4600lbs and will run in the 60's with a 502. I took a guy to Catalina that has a fountain and when we pulled into Avalon he said "I am really amazed and impressed at how well this boat handles in the Ocean". I do agree that comparing these two seems to be comparing an ocean boat with a lake boat. I like mine alot because its great for Lake Powell weekends and everything I need to stay on it. Like Roln 20's said I do hate how high the swim step is, its a pain in the ass to get in and out of especially since I dont have a ladder.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Another thing to think about is seating. One of my biggest requirements was having a boat I could stand up in to drive. Drop out bolsters were a big reason I looked at sunsations over other MFGs. Something to think about, I hate siting down when I drive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all of the input. I would not be using the boat in the ocean, and would not be overnighting in it. I'm just looking for something in the 28' range with good performance. We definately want something with an open bow, but want the enclosed cabin for the wife/kids to get out of the wind and weather when they want to.

I'll have to look at the Howards as well, that's a nice looking boat.

·
Premium Member
1,903 Posts
Thanks for all of the input. I would not be using the boat in the ocean, and would not be overnighting in it. I'm just looking for something in the 28' range with good performance. We definately want something with an open bow, but want the enclosed cabin for the wife/kids to get out of the wind and weather when they want to.

I'll have to look at the Howards as well, that's a nice looking boat.

You will get the best bang for your buck with a Howard. As far as quality, handling, performance its the best overall in my opinion. But I am biased because I own one but ask around and see what other boaters will tell you.

You will get some great advice here. Good Luck!!

·
HOT SAUCE HERE
749 Posts
As mentioned - I have a DCB cat and love it - with that said, if I was buying a 28' vee - it would be the Howard Bullet no questions asked. I have riden in two over a 100mph and have been in two more - one with 700hp and one with a Merc525. All boats handled perfect. I love the ride of the boat - the quality is among the best out there. There is a reason that it has won a ton of awards - definitely worth a look.

Roln 20s

·
6,873 Posts
Being an owner of a Sunsation 288 I dont know that I agree with this. The boat is certainly NOT a 26, in fact the MFG refers to it as a 29 its so big. I think the DCB is faster and lighter but I'm not sure that they are equipt like most of the sunsations. Mine has a sink, fresh water holding tank, Head with holding tank, many of them have refrigerators. They seem to be build as more of a weekender or overnight boat so I think they tend to be a bit heavier. Not sure what the DCB wieghs but my boat weighs like 4600lbs and will run in the 60's with a 502. I took a guy to Catalina that has a fountain and when we pulled into Avalon he said "I am really amazed and impressed at how well this boat handles in the Ocean". I do agree that comparing these two seems to be comparing an ocean boat with a lake boat. I like mine alot because its great for Lake Powell weekends and everything I need to stay on it. Like Roln 20's said I do hate how high the swim step is, its a pain in the ass to get in and out of especially since I dont have a ladder.

You take away that 1 and 1/2 foot built in swim step and the boat is a 26'. Comparing it to a DCB they are very small interior wise. Granted the articles written in mags, all favor the builder. In the real world the Sunsations are slow. Period. The boats weight is about the same and yes DCB also has that built in swimstep. No doubtsunsation is a good solid boat. DCB can have all those things you mention, If the owners so chose to have those options, MOST DONT.
Dont think I dont like Sunsation, I came a hair away from buying a 32 with twin 525's..

·
Lord of the Drinks
2,352 Posts
I agree that the Sunsation is probably apples to oranges with the DCB. The DCB has a much lower deck (less freeboard and weight) and I think less running surface. It should be faster with the same power.

I believe the DCB and the Howard have similar bottom- 24 degrees up front, and 22 at the stern. I'm pretty sure they both have small pads and steps? If so, 22 degrees w/pads are great for lake chop...not so good for the rough stuff.

I have never driven the Howard, but the Extremes I have driven have quite a bit of stern lift...especially over 80MPH.

·
Full Of It.
787 Posts
I drove a 28 DCB Extreme from Long Beach out to Avalon one time and it performed impressively out there in the deep blue sea. I thought it handled very well. Smooth ride, soft landings. It sure felt pretty big to me. Of course my boat is only a 21, so just about everything else feels big! The DCB is a great looking boat, but doesn't seem to garner the same amount of the DCB Love/Hate attention as the cats do. :)

The Howards are also beatiful boats, but must be a lighter layup from everything I hear about them. I haven't been in a 28, just a 25. Great lines. But just doesn't seem as solid. Fine for the lake, but don't seem built to take such a pounding.

Sunsation seems more like a production boat to me...like a Donzi or a Baja.

Just an opinion.

·
28 Powerplay - HP500
1,399 Posts
Both are cool boats, but don't seem to similar to me. What has you narrowed down to these?

When you say good performance, do you mean flat out speed in calm water, or great ride? Also, if you're building new and somewhat close to the builder it probably helps.

Personally, if getting into a new 28 I'd go straight to Active Thunder (although the new model is a 29). They were advertising some KILLER deals on the first ones built. AT's have a cult following, and their 28 or new 29 would be much, much bigger than either Sunsation or DCB. They are fully custom, great ride, and built right.

If you don't need freeboard, Pantera is another option in 28 that is very well respected.

I'd say get a Powerplay for a great 28.....but they're not in business these days.;)

Overall, in terms of "Offshore" boats in the 28 range, AT, Pantera are tough to beat.

If you are between these 2 choices, I like the sunny and think re-sale will be easier, especially if you aren't in the West. Doesn't seem there's too many people interested in the DCB V's for whatever reason.

Although the Sunny's are not a "full" 28, they are not small boats. They have good freeboard, and are 28 and a half feet with swimstep. My 28 is a true 28 and isn't exceptionally larger when tied up next to one.

Is the DCB a step hull? The 288 is a single step if that makes any difference to you as well.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts