Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i have a 1991 daytona eliminator .. it was or is set up for twin outboards,... i do not want to run outboards. im thinking surface drive

what i found is a arneson 6" drop it is around a 1980 ish. has brass housing and a aluminum stinger and is gear drive instead of belt or chain.. the prop is a 23 rh... i havent seen pics of it yet trying to get the guy to post some..

thereis also a borg warner drive, 1:1 ratio, i will need that also to run the drive right...

i know nothing about surface drives so please help. i did a search for a cat with surface drives and came up with cat-cando. they changed it from twin outboards to a surface drive , but the website would not load...

thanks for your input...
jason

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Go to offshoreonly and check out the classifieds (drive section) There are a number of Arnesons for sale and complete. (Drive, reduction box, trans, mounting hardware Hyd steering) It might help you out a bit. As for the transmission, most use the Borg Warner 72c "Velvet Drive".

Darrell.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Go to offshoreonly and check out the classifieds (drive section) There are a number of Arnesons for sale and complete. (Drive, reduction box, trans, mounting hardware Hyd steering) It might help you out a bit. As for the transmission, most use the Borg Warner 72c "Velvet Drive".

Darrell.

i cant seem to find it... offshore classifieds .. is it the one on home page? the link is broken and i didnt see much the other day. i could be missing something.. im no expert for sure...

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
When you go to offshoreonly.com, go to the classifieds section. When it opens, there is a drive section. Lots of stuff in there, including 3 or 4 used #8 arneson setups. They were also complete which is nice.

Darrell.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i made a deal on a asd6 6" drop.. now i need a standoff box for it.... or some good pics of one so i can build one. the guy at arnenson said i have to upgrade the transmission and, upgrade to asd7 gears...

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
i made a deal on a asd6 6" drop.. now i need a standoff box for it.... or some good pics of one so i can build one. the guy at arnenson said i have to upgrade the transmission and, upgrade to asd7 gears...

How much HP are you planning to run? If you have a BW 72c, you can add extra clutch plates. This is pretty common in the offshore world. Lots of guys running well over 600hp in big heavy offshores. BAM marine does a ton of work on the BW transmissions. Bet they could help out. As for the gears, not sure at all on those. I'm sure getting a set used, would be like finding a set of hens teeth.

Darrell.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hp is around 800 with the right carb ect,,. but i will have to change the cam it's se up to run 5000-7500. it;s a 355 race car motor, roller, aluminum brodix heads cnc ported, je pistons, oliver rods, ect.....

arneson said it should work fine, or good.. in another post i have to have a special cam so the motor dont suck water..

the trans is a bw?? it was ahead of a surface drive so it should be the one.... arneson said to sent the 40 hp robbing trans to florda, they do this and that ,then it handeles all the hp and only takes 9hp after.. ($1500) it would be nice to figure out how to do it,,,,

the gears i have to change from halico (sp) to spur gears ($1700) finding them used ya right.....

then i have to have a standoff box ($2000) im sure i can make one if i could get some specs.... finding a used one will be like finding used gears....

then i will not have to deal with a stupid beval gear outdrive, i have allready replaced my gears in a alpa 1 ... for 800..00

(then ron's marine in howard city michigan , sold it to someone else on me.. and told me it was my falt, he didnt sell it he just couldnt find it..)

if i can do some of it myself that would help for sure...

·
Platinum Member
2,014 Posts
Best of luck on your project! your thinking is out of the box and willingness to try new ideas is a good thing. Arnsen surface drives are the best in the right set up.Boated with a friend last weekend he the boat pictured in arneson ad 30 skater twin 588 sterling engine 800 continous hp ea. Have you seen the early posts on the 21 daytona 1200hp surface drive project, I would put your motor in a 19 daytona and bravo drive or even a 21 daytona/seen it done works great 115 plus, however, your project 23 w sm block wont work to big a pig. Hope you take this in a positive way good luck

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i seen the 21' project. i dont think they posted anything on it being done..

as far as my small block goes it may work and it may not.... i have a copo 427 with 5000 original miles on it but i dont want to put it in a boat. but it is a ls6 blocked copo motor so i dont want to fudge it up.. it's set up with a cam , springs and a tunnel ram. its set up for a pulling truck now... but i would rather put it in my 30 ford....

if i have to sell the race motor for a blower motor so be it.. it would be coller for sure or a twin turbo big block either one...

but for now i have to find the little parts and pieces i need.. and maybe it will work out just fine...

jason

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How much HP are you planning to run? If you have a BW 72c, you can add extra clutch plates. This is pretty common in the offshore world. Lots of guys running well over 600hp in big heavy offshores. BAM marine does a ton of work on the BW transmissions. Bet they could help out. As for the gears, not sure at all on those. I'm sure getting a set used, would be like finding a set of hens teeth.

Darrell.

i just got my surface drive set up today ...

the trans is a bw 10-17-004

should i be able to make it go into forward n , and reverse ? i can spin the input shaft and the output turns, the same way even if i click it into (n) or rev..

but i got water pump, both, trim pump. all cables., steering, hoses , surface drive, dash out of the boat, manual trim gauge .,motor mounts, alternator,flywheel, ect.... everything.. for 600.00.. there was only 400 hrs on the boat...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i have talked to him (rik)on the phone before i bought the stuff... and i pm'ed him tonight for some more info.

got to get it set up right the first time..

he told me i could sent the trans down to fl.. to have it beefed up.
but i am trying to find/figure out haw to do it myself...

i guess i need the instructions that come in the kit... that i dont have...

maybe i will get lucky

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
anyone know how i have to set up, a arneson surface drive?

what angle is it suppose to be set up at. how far from bottom of boat.?as far as a standoff box. i am going to make my own. if i can but i want to set the drive up right. so it works..

he knows i want to make my own so wont give me info?

i have a 6 with 6" drop on a 24' daytona eliminator

thanks

·
Registered
252 Posts
anyone know how i have to set up, a arneson surface drive?

what angle is it suppose to be set up at. how far from bottom of boat.? i have e-mailed rik with no luck. he wants to sell me the 2000.00 standoff box. i am going to make my own. but i want to set the drive up right. so it works..

he knows i want to make my own so wont give me info?

i have a 6 with 6" drop on a 24' daytona eliminator

thanks
Well shame on me. You asked how I do it so you can then try to go make your own with my knowledge and experience. How smart is that?Reality

Helping you out is one thing, you got a great deal on the drive for $600.00 with transmission but not everything in life is $600.00 but suicide is another story.

I am sure when you sell it you are only going to want $600.00 right:)bulb

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
my main question is where is the center line of the of the prop shaft suppose to be..

is it suppose to be in line with the little air pocket thats on the back of the sponsor lower stern..(still trying to figure out the proper names for things..)

i know i have to balance the boat out at about 25% from rear.. for the (cg) and that the boat works off from lift , and the surface drive has to be set up so that it is at the water line or half out and half in at speed...

this has been one of my questions that no one will answer for me. and i can not find the answer..

so basically i am just suppose to guess. put it on the boat. now its not right i have a hole in the boat and i have to move the surface drive up or down to get the boat to plane or lift...obviously if the prop shaft is too low it will push the noise down, and too high prop will free spin from not being in the water...

now that question should be able to be answered with out me buying a 2000.00 standoff box.. because it should be the same with or with out the box.... from what i see the box only moves the drive back further to balance out the boat for the transmission and such ...

im trying not to piss anyone off just get some answers.... so i dont have to keep cutting up my boat..... i want to make one hole... right the first time....

thank you jason

·
Platinum Member
2,014 Posts
Hang the boat in the air on scales. place weight in the boat, if you plan to drive by yourself ,with out center steer,one side is lighter. you also have fore and aft.I prefer to put everthing inline to maintain side to side balance and fuel and battery for fore and aft. also you will have to think about torque roll w/single engine application.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts