Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
JRPM/e-PerformanceMarine
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some simple super low cost ways to wake up a Suzuki 150hp, they are 160ci/2.6L ? I think I saw something years ago about switching to the 200 carbs. What about exhaust, right now it is through hub ? Acording to everything I remember they are pritty heavy, a bit more than the OMCs. I am running a bone stock Suzuki 150 with a Sleekcraft SST in the 300 and need some help. I was told because of the ci I may have to run Division 3, with a low 70mph boat.

Thank you
Jim

·
Banne'd
2,568 Posts
I would say, running more than a 2.0 in the 300 with a top speed of 70, your'e going to get an ass whoop'n. 70 is low for the class you will have to run in. I don't see much in the way of support for that motor, not many threads for hopping them up at all. It may also wake up with some reeds and bigger carbs, if you can find them. There is a guy on Screamandfly.com that has some good reeds. Carson something or other. 2 clicks and I found it http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191576&highlight=reeds

thry him, can't hurt.

·
JRPM/e-PerformanceMarine
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know it is not the fastest but I do believe it will finish the race. Right now there are 25 entrants, I expect to see another 25 by race day. I have run this race 3 other times with a best finish of 86 miles, at 78mph. I am planning on cutting the boats weight down a bit. I am hoping to pull 200lbs out of it. The boat ran 75mph with a 145lb driver and full interior. So stripped and lightend it shoud do that with me in the boat, 195lbs. I am also hoping with the Ron Hill prop it may pick up some too. I am testing it in the next couple of days and we shall see how it does. Thanks for the link.

·
Banne'd
2,568 Posts
I've looked at the rules, 1,500 pound boat. Thats freaking heavy, and I don't care what motor is on the back. The motor weighs what, 450 max. Now you need an 1100 pound boat with no fuel. It's like the outboards are being punished because they can run the hole race without breaking down. Good luck, hope you place in the top 10.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Not much can be done to that motor ,raising compression to about 140psi may yields a small increase .Try a search on Ron Hill props before you buy ???.

·
Canatard
3,341 Posts
I think I saw something years ago about switching to the 200 carbs.
I suggest converting to a Holley 900 DP. With a model number 6 times higher than the model number of your engine, you should see a performance gain in the 500% range.

In case it's not obvious, I'm joking. Anyone who has fooled around with big carbs on small engines knows they reduce top end power a wee bit and eliminate any responsiveness in the lower and mid range... and that's your best case scenario.

An effective way to increase your power by 33% would be to remove that engine and install a 200hp mill. :cool:

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I suggest converting to a Holley 900 DP. With a model number 6 times higher than the model number of your engine, you should see a performance gain in the 500% range.

In case it's not obvious, I'm joking. Anyone who has fooled around with big carbs on small engines knows they reduce top end power a wee bit and eliminate any responsiveness in the lower and mid range... and that's your best case scenario.

An effective way to increase your power by 33% would be to remove that engine and install a 200hp mill. :cool:
Wow! Tom Brown lives.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
buy some boyeson reeds for it and then find out where guys drilling out the exhaust down chest at on those motors, that really wakes them up on tq! did on mine! my lil 120hp merc picked up 400rpms changing to boyeson reeds and drilling a small hole about 6inches below the exhaust chest to vent some backpressure above the water line. it made it sound like a v6 racing outboard:)devil honestly feels like i picked up another 20hp over what i started with in stock form. might look into it jim;)

·
JRPM/e-PerformanceMarine
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have done the exhaust mod. Iam also closing off the upper side of the water intake. This should help keep water presure as I raise the engine another 1 9/16", this will put the center of the shaft 1 15/16" below the keel. The rules state it has to be a min of 1" below the keel. I have been taking as much wieght out of the boat as I can. So far we are at 81lbs. I expect to pull another 80lbs out. Then I will be putting back about 50lbs. We are putting the 32gal cell at the back in the bilge area. I am also moving the steering to the center and back 10 + inches. This should help cary the bow and make the boat be a little better areo wise, I hope !

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just finish the race and you will be surprized at how well you do! For sure, you will do better than you did running an inboard "squirter" type. Be sure and read the rules before you enter a Division. Speed is not the equation for defining the Division. See Maximus post on BRF.com :)devilRod

·
Under yo mommas bed
1,884 Posts
Well, no one has really told you so I will. You have one of the all time worst outboard motors there is. It is equalled only by a Chrysler/ Force and to be honest I don't really know which one is the best of the two.

Instead of messing with that motor you would be so much farther ahead if you could find a 150 or 200 merc power head and or complete motor.

·
Members only
4,518 Posts
Well, no one has really told you so I will. You have one of the all time worst outboard motors there is. It is equalled only by a Chrysler/ Force and to be honest I don't really know which one is the best of the two.

Instead of messing with that motor you would be so much farther ahead if you could find a 150 or 200 merc power head and or complete motor.

So... what are you trying to say???:)eh:)

·
Banne'd
2,568 Posts
I think what he's trying to say is that having two spark plugs per cylinder, as this Suzuki does, always doubles up the power.

"always doubles up the POWER PACKS" Older ones are a bitch to find parts for.

J is right sell it and buy a nice 2.4or 2.5, and have a good time, and a shit load of go fast parts.

·
Under yo mommas bed
1,884 Posts
Hello Jim,

Going boat racing, hummmm...interesting!!!

We still have your tow/race boat CJ72/River Rescue sitting in the impound yard you never picked up. You remember the one that was posted on You-Tube.

It's still complete just as we fished it off the bottom of the river last April.

Give me a call so you can pay the bill you never paid! and get your boat back.

Vessel Assist
Greg Ewing
(928) 788-1815

P.S. They said I would and I knew I'd get screwed on this deal!!!

I think you should keep this in a PM, don't you? Bad bad business practice my friend.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts