Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Rubbing is Racing!!
2,837 Posts
Looking to purchase a Mustang SVT cobra. Any thoughts guys? Is it a good car?
What year?

99 and prior Cobras were slugs. Ford had alot of issues with pissed customers that thought they were getting a 320hp vehicle in 1999.(they cut the program after 1 year and re launched in 03)

The 03-04 Terminators (factory Supercharged) are great performance platforms and were a real bargain considering what they would run with exhaust,tune and a pulley swap. (easy to get into the 11 second range at 117+)

The newer GT500's make an ass load of power but there about 300lbs heavier than the previous generation.

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
You want it because it's fast and sexy, admit it. You are just asking that question so you can tell your SO that the guys on the board gave their blessing LOL

Go for it.

·
Premium Member
7,810 Posts
We actually looked at them a few years ago since my wife loved her Mustang GT. I'm (at least I was before Gov't Motors) a Chevy guy but actually loved how it handled and accelerated. A lot of ponies for the price!!! We're looking at buying one in the next couple of year if Obama doesn't ban Ford.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm asking for me I answer to no one. My SO doesn't even know I.m car shopping. :)Its just time to give up the pick up. The cobra is a 99 with 78k on it. $9000. my kids say buy it mom.

·
Gas Dock Greg
363 Posts
I have a 03, I dig it :D reworked the motor with FR 500 heads, Kenne Bell 2.6, Headers, accufab throttle body magnaflow exhaust, and a custom dyno tune. It's making 557 hp to the tires with a conservative tune! My tuner told me with race gas, a little more boost it will see 750ish to the tires. Its fast enough (I have never said that about anything before:)devil)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a 03, I dig it :D reworked the motor with FR 500 heads, Kenne Bell 2.6, Headers, accufab throttle body magnaflow exhaust, and a custom dyno tune. It's making 557 hp to the tires with a conservative tune! My tuner told me with race gas, a little more boost it will see 750ish to the tires. Its fast enough (I have never said that about anything before:)devil)
It's fast enough for me as is for now!;) Just don't want to get stuck with a dog. really have nobody around to ask advice of.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I had a 97 Corvette and changed it in for a 2001 Mustang Cobra vert. It was a good car BUT the clutch was really a bitch in traffic and also the power band is after 4,500 RPMm, so it had absolutely no low-end grunt. I really missed the torque of the Vette compared to the Cobra, so much so, that I traded the Cobra in for another Vette!

I personally wouldn't go for a '99 with that many miles! Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Any Mustang is GREAT!! Unless you want to take more than one other person for a ride. Get it checked out unless you plan on putting a lot into the motor and stuff.

The older Fox style main bearings in the V8's were only good to just over a 100K miles. Sure some would go more, but probably would not be rebuildable.

I agree with the others about looking for something newer. :)hand

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
G

·
Looking to purchase a Mustang SVT cobra. Any thoughts guys? Is it a good car?
I had an 03. Fast but not very driver friendly. Difficult to shift, the IRS hopped.

Very bolt on and tuner friendly and with a blower swap, over 500 hp plus no problem. With a good tune, pulley and a ported Eaton, they made good power too.

Fun car

1 - 17 of 17 Posts