Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my buddies has a Baja with a carb'd 454, and he just bought an injection system off a 98 502.

Im assuming the 454 has no provision for like a cam position sensor or anything. How hard is it going to be to swap this crap over?

thanks,
Jeff

·
steelcomp was here
11,830 Posts
Main thing will be the computer calibration. It's going to be all wrong for a 454, and from what I understand, expensive to change.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,635 Posts
One of my buddies has a Baja with a carb'd 454, and he just bought an injection system off a 98 502.

Im assuming the 454 has no provision for like a cam position sensor or anything. How hard is it going to be to swap this crap over?

thanks,
Jeff
some of those 502's had the crank sensor between the starter on the block didn't they? i know all the new big blocks are that way.

·
21 Daytona
5,017 Posts
the gen 6 502's have a crank position sensor behind the
timing cover, there's a place for the sensor on th bottom of the cover
not sure on the cam. these were used on trucks according to the rebuild book.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is 98era Gen6?

Last GM thing i worked on was an ecotec into a buggy...ended up going msd MEFI-4 to avoid all chevy's wiring hassles.

Already looking like this EFI swap aint gonna be fun.

·
Registered
313 Posts
i have 95 502efi that used a mefi 1 was just re done to 509 hyd roller valve train an little mods stock efi i had to use a merc mefi 4 so it would be able to calibrate all senors specialy the knock sensor comp was chenged i bought a new mefi 4 from az speed an marine had to do some wire splicing if you can get a hold of them it was 1200 but you hook up the laptop an start dailing it made 560hp 625ftlb

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now I find out the EFI is off a 99 502. Does that make a diff? Is 99 MEFI-1? Im not to familiar with the timeframe of options on 502's, forgive my stupid questions...

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
313 Posts
you should have numbers on the box were all you wires an ecm come together check thos numbers an it will tell you it might be a mefi 3 an does that one run a vst tank my 95 uses one it works good when it works but when they dont you your assed out i dont think 99 used them

·
It's what we do
709 Posts
If it is a Mercruiser 502 EFI system there is no cam or crank sensor. They are batch fire. The ECU gets its input form the TPS, MAP sensor, W/T sensor, and distributor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.