Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
AKA OhOneWS6
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The wife wants me to add swim steps to the transom. It's a little hard for her to get in the boat in deeper water. I picked up two teak platforms off of craigslist and am looking for mounting suggestions. I have already had brackets made. I just can't decide if I want them between the side of the boat and the exhaust trumpet (pics 3 & 4) or over the exhaust and closer to the pump (pics 1 & 2). I can't center them in the transom because I have thru transom exhaust and the trumpet would be in the way of the bracket.

If anyone has pics of their swim steps please post them up.

TIA,
Matt

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a 73 Sleekcraft Rebel and I used the swim step. I don't have any really great pictures, but here is what I have.

It works great. I put it on 3 years ago for my wife and now I use it all the time. Hope this helps.

·
AKA OhOneWS6
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I have a 73 Sleekcraft Rebel and I used the swim step. I don't have any really great pictures, but here is what I have.

It works great. I put it on 3 years ago for my wife and now I use it all the time. Hope this helps.
can't get much closer than that. Right down to the Jazuzzi pump. Mine is a 74 Rebel. What are the two switches above your key for? I have two , one for bilge one for light but I don't see lights on yours.

Looks like most have them over the exhaust. Guess that is what I will do.

Outlaw, If my boat was nicer I would do that. This is a budget project. I picked up two teak platforms for $35 and a client of mine fabbed the brackets for free.

Thanks for the pics guys.

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
We've used and installed some of teaks and Glass with stainless brackets over the years with good sucess but really diggn' the Billets for ease of care and simplicity The first pics is my Eliminator , second and third are customers boats/recent installs, contact me if your interested
Tom

·
Registered
38 Posts
Outlaw that is really cool. Wish I would of seen this before I did mine. My only problem with it is my wife needs the fold down step and grab rails. I really like what you have!!:)devil

·
AKA OhOneWS6
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We've used and installed some of teaks and brackets over the years but really diggn' the Billets for ease of care and simplicity The first pics is my Eliminator , second and third are customers boats/recent installs, contact me if your interested
Tom
I love the billet as well but a little to much $$$ for this project. That and I kinda like the period look of the teak for this boat.

·
tintingsandiego
1,063 Posts
Added pics to the first post. If anyone sees any issues with either location, please post up.

Matt
Where does your water line sit at while floating. I would mount at or just above water line. The pics of the steps over exhaust look better but look low. The pic of them outside would work if it was one full step side to side...by the way, they are some nice looking steps. Looked again, try raising to water line and possibly outside might be the spot..

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
We try to put them right at (or slightly above) the "static" water line but when "retrofitting" steps to an existing hull, often the choices of desirable location are precluded and limited by existing hardware and fixtures such as exaust tip location , Cav hardware , body structure etc

·
AKA OhOneWS6
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Where does your water line sit at while floating. I would mount at or just above water line. The pics of the steps over exhaust look better but look low. The pic of them outside would work if it was one full step side to side...by the way, they are some nice looking steps. Looked again, try raising to water line and possibly outside might be the spot..
Water line is a little below the top of the exhaust tips. With them mounted to the outside my trailer strap would fit through the void in the step without moving the hooks on the trailer. Not that the hook is that big a deal. I'm sure if I can mount a step to the boat I can move the hook on the trailer. :)sphss

·
tintingsandiego
1,063 Posts
So the hieght you have em at is good...When I installed my steps over mine it changed the exhaust sound at idle and has some vibration as well, only at idle. Do you ever plan on changing your exhaust tips? Look at the pic of that red boat... Either way is good...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Mohican, i have this same swim step on my cruiser...with slats of teak on the flat parts if that's something you're after.
Does yours look like this? Will have to forgive the ratchet tie downs, only thing we could find at the small town walmart the day we brought her home.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts