Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to install some swimsteps, kind of hesitent about drilling thru the transome. can anyone run me thru the layout and install? I only want to do this once! and I know some of you have done this many times and can provide a wealth of information.

·
"Need For Speed"
1,210 Posts
Looking to install some swimsteps, kind of hesitent about drilling thru the transome. can anyone run me thru the layout and install? I only want to do this once! and I know some of you have done this many times and can provide a wealth of information.
Running performance boats with usually no extra frills, I have done it only once myself. My wife told me that her jetboat only required two things; (1) a way to get into the boat from the lake and (2) she required no nitrous. I sure thought her boat would run well on nitrous:)

Back to the question. I purchased a set of billet swim steps from Rex Marine. One step for each side. If your steps do not come with a pattern, get some posterboard material. Pre assemble the steps and set them on the posterboard as if it were the transom. Make a set of marks to outline the step as well as mark the hole centers, etc. Then take your patterns/templates and put them on the back of the boat. Make sure to set them level and adjust for the transom water height, etc. Once everything looks straight and level, mark for your holes. Take a tape measure and locate these locations on the inside of the transom to make sure there are no obstructions or interferences at these locations. Adjust as necessary. Once all is deemed clear, drill the holes and mount the steps being sure to seal the holes with a quality silicon.

I mounted the billet steps above using this method and had not done so previosly and only had one obstacle. In the Sunkisst gullwing, the lower bolt on the right rear was in the area under the glassed in battery mounting pad. I had to hole saw access to install the lower inside washer and nut, then just glued the plug back in place and reinstalled the battery.

Was not too bad of a job.

Good Luck!
Gear

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Running performance boats with usually no extra frills, I have done it only once myself. My wife told me that her jetboat only required two things; (1) a way to get into the boat from the lake and (2) she required no nitrous. I sure thought her boat would run well on nitrous:)

Back to the question. I purchased a set of billet swim steps from Rex Marine. One step for each side. If your steps do not come with a pattern, get some posterboard material. Pre assemble the steps and set them on the posterboard as if it were the transom. Make a set of marks to outline the step as well as mark the hole centers, etc. Then take your patterns/templates and put them on the back of the boat. Make sure to set them level and adjust for the transom water height, etc. Once everything looks straight and level, mark for your holes. Take a tape measure and locate these locations on the inside of the transom to make sure there are no obstructions or interferences at these locations. Adjust as necessary. Once all is deemed clear, drill the holes and mount the steps being sure to seal the holes with a quality silicon.

I mounted the billet steps above using this method and had not done so previosly and only had one obstacle. In the Sunkisst gullwing, the lower bolt on the right rear was in the area under the glassed in battery mounting pad. I had to hole saw access to install the lower inside washer and nut, then just glued the plug back in place and reinstalled the battery.

Was not too bad of a job.

Good Luck!
Gear

Thank you all, Good ideas. I was looking at some billet swim steps from Rex Marine.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I woud run a piece of masking tape side to side across the transom as a straight edge so I could visually see the heighth and to make sure both steps were mounted level to each other. I would put some 3/4" plywood in behind the bolts to support the steps against the transom.

·
Registered
836 Posts
anything that ive bolted thru or into the transom has a bead of 5200 on it. so if i were installing swim steps id drill the holes, put some 3m marine silicone (blue in the pic) onto the steps where they touch the transom, and then put a dab of 5200 (red) onto the bolt that goes thru. this way if the silicone leaks you still have some added protection against transom water damage at the bolt/hole itself. If you used 5200 on the whole thing you'd rip the whole transom off the boat trying to remove your swimsteps.

Also take note of where your boat sits in the water, install your steps an inch or two above that.

·
tintingsandiego
1,063 Posts
Decide if you want them to rest at the water line with you in it or not....I installed mine to be at water level with me sitting on it. Off its bout 1-2" above. Level your boat then check your pump at that level. If its good then go off it. If you have thru trans exhaust might want to have the inner step mount between tip and pump housing. Mine are about 1/8" in of the tip. I also used 1/4"x 2" aluminum plate on inside. I had a boat hit my step and it pulled step off and didnt hurt mount or trans. I was doing some work on pump and here is a pic of mounts...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
anything that ive bolted thru or into the transom has a bead of 5200 on it. so if i were installing swim steps id drill the holes, put some 3m marine silicone (blue in the pic) onto the steps where they touch the transom, and then put a dab of 5200 (red) onto the bolt that goes thru. this way if the silicone leaks you still have some added protection against transom water damage at the bolt/hole itself. If you used 5200 on the whole thing you'd rip the whole transom off the boat trying to remove your swimsteps.

Also take note of where your boat sits in the water, install your steps an inch or two above that.
What is 5200? and where can I get it?

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
What is 5200? and where can I get it?
5200 is a 3M marine adhesive. It's primarily used for permanent mount applications only! I would have to disagree with Kaotyk on using 5200 in this type of application. Your bolts are going to carry the load and any good silicone can be used to seal the bolt holes so I'm not sure where the use of 5200 would come into play. I use it to bed stringers when I replace them in a boat as recommended by 3M.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts