Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to finally put in a pool for those days that are just too hot and humid to get out on the boats. After researching, going to go with a fiberglass pool from Viking. Also, doing an outside kitchen area. Any tips or ideas? Something I should think about doing during all this?

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
I have an idea. Go with gunite/shotcrete...:D Personal o[pinion but fiberglass pools suck. They are very slippery which makes for poor footing/traction for the kids/adults playing volleyball etc... They don't hold up to the weather as well etc.... Oh well, you had your mind made up so I guess I should just be quite and go away;):D The b est of luck with your project...

Steve

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Yeah- What Ive learned is a cold pool is an unused pool and Solar was the best single investment I ever made in all my years of pool ownership. I used my pool more in 1 year after I put in solar than all years combined.

1. solar heating
2. salt water system
3. variable speed pool pump (not 2 speed)
4. separate line for a pressure cleaner
5. automatic cover if you got the bucks

Uncle Dave

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an idea. Go with gunite/shotcrete...:D Personal o[pinion but fiberglass pools suck. They are very slippery which makes for poor footing/traction for the kids/adults playing volleyball etc... They don't hold up to the weather as well etc.... Oh well, you had your mind made up so I guess I should just be quite and go away;):D The b est of luck with your project...

Steve
Thought about gunnite but decided not to because of a friend that has one and just had to replaster. I'm getting the finish on the fiberglass that gives it a 20 year warranty. Don't play volleyball in the pool much and anything we do play, slippery makes it funner lol.

Yeah- What Ive learned is a cold pool is an unused pool and Solar was the best single investment I ever made in all my years of pool ownership. I used my pool more in 1 year after I put in solar than all years combined.

1. solar heating
2. salt water system
3. variable speed pool pump (not 2 speed)
4. separate line for a pressure cleaner
5. automatic cover if you got the bucks

Uncle Dave
Going with all of the above except solar. Getting a gas burner since it will have attached spillover spa and got a big enough heater to heat the pool somewhat. Expensive but have to do gas because of spa. Also not doing the auto cover mostly because the nearest tree is 100 yards away and couldn't justify the expense.

With the outdoor kitchen, going with a nice grill but no stove. A nice grill should be just as good. A full size fridge (screw a mini fridge), a sink, and an ice maker simply to also use to fill up boat ice chests.

·
Huntington Beach Havasu
2,092 Posts
1. Gunite (my advice)
2. 3M quartz plaster (quartz color mixed with plaster)
3. Variable Speed High Tech motor (mine is running at 900 rpms, 4amps ,220v)
4. Beach area (make it good sized)
5. Light (face it away from where you sit) Led type
6. Nice tile around the top that is easy to clean

I was going to go with fiberglass but I am glad I ended up putting the gunite pool in with the plaster with blue specs. Water sparkles and the plaster is much strong with quartz added.

Good luck

·
26' Sleekcraft
414 Posts
T I'm getting the finish on the fiberglass that gives it a 20 year warranty.
Fiberglass blisters and start to delaminate within 4 or 5 years. The material for the repairs never cost the homeowner but the the labor and the the water to refill the pool do. After doing this for a few times you will dump the fiberglass.

Pebble finishes are the top end and are usually the most durable. I just remodeled my plaster pool and went with pebble tek. Pebble tec looks better, can help heat a cold pool, and ads a new dimension of interest to the pool. The pebble tek finish is superior, in that it lasts 20 years or more

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Thought about gunnite but decided not to because of a friend that has one and just had to replaster. I'm getting the finish on the fiberglass that gives it a 20 year warranty. Don't play volleyball in the pool much and anything we do play, slippery makes it funner lol.

Going with all of the above except solar. Getting a gas burner since it will have attached spillover spa and got a big enough heater to heat the pool somewhat. Expensive but have to do gas because of spa. Also not doing the auto cover mostly because the nearest tree is 100 yards away and couldn't justify the expense.

With the outdoor kitchen, going with a nice grill but no stove. A nice grill should be just as good. A full size fridge (screw a mini fridge), a sink, and an ice maker simply to also use to fill up boat ice chests.

I Wouldn't do the cover for the leaves- Id do it for the heat bu they are a pain.

I have a 400K btu heater on top of the solar.

How many gallons of water will your pool have? what size heater you looking at?

Im wondering if you've done the math on the heating yet. - I can help you.

The amount of btu to heat and keep a pool hot is mind boggling.

UD

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
You are not kidding on the cost of heating a pool! According to the calculations for my pool it would be about $18-$20 per hour just for the propane to run the propane heater plus the electric for the pump, hence I have no heater:mad: I will probably go with solar after I heal up ($$$$$) from building the new home and pool (if I live that long):D As for the slippery fiberglass pools they might be fun for the younger people with out back problems but I hurt mine in a fiberglass pool pushing off the floor and my feet slipped out and bent my back backward. Way bad pain if you have a back as screwed up as mine.

I know that you have made up your mind so I will quit and wish you the best. I know that you will enjoy what ever you build.

Steve

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I had Big Blaster replaster my pool a few years back in Havi, 3M Quartz, looks great. Great pool for volleyball and smooth enough so you feet do not get sore.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
pebbletec is great- as long as you dont get failure of the binder.
pebble tec deterioration starts on edges then eats away as time goes on.

My solar system delivers around a million btu's a day of heat.
Its like running a heater for 6-8 hours a day for the cost of the pump.

Uncle Dave

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Gunite is much better than fiberglass, i worked in the poll industry for a long time, i would have gunite for sure, also the built in covers are nice for kids, dogs and if you ever want to resell to somebody who has any of the above its a huge bonus..the safety covers are great IMO. nice to know no one can fall in and drown..

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Ive seen pretty nice fibreglass pools. Especially now that they gelcoat them.
I think if I livedvin the midwest or in a freeze area Id prefer one to gunnite.

I like gunnite but you do have to replaster every decade or so, and the plaster will mottle no matter what you do.

I've spent thousands of dollars on tons of different products to make cleaning and maintenance easier

The only pools I really dont like are "liner" pools.

Boss - what type of pumps and automation system are you going with?

Uncle Dave

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I Wouldn't do the cover for the leaves- Id do it for the heat bu they are a pain.

I have a 400K btu heater on top of the solar.

How many gallons of water will your pool have? what size heater you looking at?

Im wondering if you've done the math on the heating yet. - I can help you.

The amount of btu to heat and keep a pool hot is mind boggling.

UD
Its a 400kbtu. I live in louisiana so heat and humidity is not a problem. I can't remember gallons off the top of my head but its a 40 x 16 and 8 foot deep end.

Ive seen pretty nice fibreglass pools. Especially now that they gelcoat them.
I think if I livedvin the midwest or in a freeze area Id prefer one to gunnite.

I like gunnite but you do have to replaster every decade or so, and the plaster will mottle no matter what you do.

I've spent thousands of dollars on tons of different products to make cleaning and maintenance easier

The only pools I really dont like are "liner" pools.

Boss - what type of pumps and automation system are you going with?

Uncle Dave
Had a liner pool before. Never again. I know the pump is variable speed but can't remember brand and all. Will check when I get back to office. Thanks for the advice all.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
A pool is the biggest waste of money in my opinion. If you have kids it will be great, but once they grow up it is a pain in the butt, it sits more than it gets used and turns into a bigger money pit. If any of your neighbors have trees every leaf and twig will find its way into it. After 20 years of this money pit, i am going to back fill mine and put a shop up, something i can use! Just my .02!!!:)

·
Registered
1,584 Posts

Think twice about adding that stove top. We have that and an oven and use both with the grill quite alot. Everything cooking in one spot so you can keep an eye on it instead of running in and out. You are going to have the pool so you will allready be outside. A big plus is it doesn't heat the house up in the summertime.;)

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
The Salt Water system mentioned above is definitely the way to go...much easier to maintain.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Its a 400kbtu. I live in louisiana so heat and humidity is not a problem. I can't remember gallons off the top of my head but its a 40 x 16 and 8 foot deep end.

Had a liner pool before. Never again. I know the pump is variable speed but can't remember brand and all. Will check when I get back to office. Thanks for the advice all.

Ok lets do the math.

Your pool is about a 30K gallon pool.

To heat the pool 1 degree we look at the formula: 1 btu heats one POUND of water 1 degree.

30K gallons x 8.34 lb per gallon thats 250200 pounds of water.

Your pool heater will be about 80% efficient provided you are seriously moving water so it will put out 320,000 btu an hour.

So in one full hour of running your 400K btu heater will heat your pool ABOUT 1.27 degrees - this is providing the air temp is already what the water temp is or there will be heat loss constantly minimizing that amount of heat. take about 30-40% off that if its 10 below the pool temp or the wind is blowing.

At what I pay for NG it cost me about 7 an hour to run the heater.
The pump at 1000 watts is about 11 cents an hour.

Most pools evaporate between 3 & 5 degree of heat each night so you could be looking at serious money per day just to maintain a given temp.

Do the math at your level and let us know what its going to run you to heat the pool.

Dont kid yourself on the heat part- ok you live in louisiana and it gets hot there. Same with guys in florida etc. - you have a pool you can use for 3-4 months a year then you ignore because its simply not comfortable to swim.

Here the bad part- according to "uncle dave" experience chicks start to "like the water at about 85 and feel comfortable at 87. This my friend is a boat load of heat to keep 20-30K gallons at. with solar its actually affordable- without ...just try it and let us know what you spend keeping it comfortable for you.

The following chart is from this website- and represents south texas the closest spot to you I can find.
South Texas Solar Pool Heater Performance

Congratulations on your pool I love having a pool now that its always warm and clean.

When its cold and dirty and expensive to actually comfortably use- I totally agree with Sanger.... fill it in.

Uncle Dave

Attachments

1 - 20 of 113 Posts