Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I am picking up my tunnel dragster hull next week if all goes well ...have questions on setup if anyone can help me with basic starting points on pump as well as finishing of a 10-1 540 ci short block would like to stick with single carb so any suggestions on heads cam intake ect thank you guys

·
Registered
794 Posts
Hello everyone I am picking up my tunnel dragster hull next week if all goes well ...have questions on setup if anyone can help me with basic starting points on pump as well as finishing of a 10-1 540 ci short block would like to stick with single carb so any suggestions on heads cam intake ect thank you guys
It depends on what you want to do. B1 racing or MPD can help ya out with the pump work. Shoe and a ride plate is a must i think on these things.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
What are your goals with the boat? Intake cut for shoe/ride plate? Going to have to know a little bit more on the engine and desired hp range before we can give you a good starting point on a hardware set up.

My 540 is 10.5:1 and made 800hp at 6200rpm. I have a straub custom cam shaft designed for my induction which is AFR 325 as cast heads and a dart tunnel ram with a pair of dominators (750's) that C&J reworked for me.
I have helped a few people out with set ups on these boats, but im just shooting from the hip....:)Unsure:)Unsure

what do you have for a pump now?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was trying to head in the direction of around 700 hp will also be using afr heads but would like to stick with a nice single plane manifold and a single 1050 ...have no pump yet so the beauty of that is that I can get some advice from you guys so I don't end up buying everything twice lol. That being said what model pump , impeller ect would be best for this hull in that 700 hp range ??? Thank you guys for taking the time to help

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And just to clarify ..not looking to go 110+ just want a respectable reliable ride to have some fun with, started with jets years ago had kids bought the 21 open bow family wagon and I always wanted to build a tunnel so here we go ! Oh and the fact I rode in my good friends blown Youngblood and it was pretty depressing hitting the key on the old 350 merc

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
That's real easy to do with a single carb pump gas friendly engine. Lots of guys here doing 800 plus with single carb pump gas deals.

I would get in contact with a jet boat engine builder and get a custom cam made. Mike Miller, The Bostic, Chris straub steel comp ect. They can all steer you in the right direction.

As far as a pump, well you can go mild to wild. You must have a shoe/ride plate for the gains and set up factor. Mild pump would be a split bowl, hardened shaft and a SS imp or bronze ect.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's real easy to do with a single carb pump gas friendly engine. Lots of guys here doing 800 plus with single carb pump gas deals.

I would get in contact with a jet boat engine builder and get a custom cam made. Mike Miller, The Bostic, Chris straub steel comp ect. They can all steer you in the right direction.

As far as a pump, well you can go mild to wild. You must have a shoe/ride plate for the gains and set up factor. Mild pump would be a split bowl, hardened shaft and a SS imp or bronze ect.
Thanks so much for the input that was what I was hoping to hear ...I have a line on a new split bowl pump not sure what impeller is in it ..what would be your suggestion there and what kind of rpm neighborhood should I expect

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Impeller size is dependent on where you make your power and what your max rpm should be. In my opinion, get your motor built and then consult jack or Chris as to what impeller would be best for you. There's way too many variables to post about such as loader and shoe etc...

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Impeller size is dependent on where you make your power and what your max rpm should be. In my opinion, get your motor built and then consult jack or Chris as to what impeller would be best for you. There's way too many variables to post about such as loader and shoe etc...
Agreed, get the engine done, put it on the dyno and then build your pump around the HP the engine makes. Then the hardware will be alee of a headache to get started.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for everyone's input ..and yes this is tj's boat . Jim guthrie built my last blower motor for my cat so he put me in the right direction with heads cam ect ....and were also gonna go to 555 ci so hopefully I can get well into the 800hp range then chris can help me build the pump!really looking forward to the winter project

1 - 13 of 13 Posts