Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1980 swtd found me.pretty much complete overhaul.do i cut the pod half off? what type of loader/intake will get me started.where should the engine be placed.its gonna be a two seater.dominator pump.where should the pump be?half or full set back?.and no idea of what kind of power will find its way into this boat..any bottom mods for this hull???i saw some fins that bolted to the side of the tunnel about the last two feet maybe air trapping aid???any thoughts will be helpful....thanks in advance 2012-10-07_12_42_49.jpg 2012-10-07_16_21_34.jpg 2012-10-07_16_21_30.jpg 2012-10-07_12_41_45.jpg 2012-10-07_16_22_14.jpg 2012-10-07_16_21_50.jpg

·
Registered
794 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
It sounds like all of you questions are dependent on your one variable! You need to decide how much power your gonna throw at it in order to answer all the mod questions.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Looks like alot of work. Always good to see another TD coming back to life. Good luck.

What is that in the background?

·
Registered
19,800 Posts
i sold 2 swtd to tommy papp and the first thing he would do is cut 1/2 the pod off..why was that ?

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
prolly my two biggest questions would be 1. cut the pod or not 2012-10-07_16_21_50.jpg 2.how far back with the intake....currently the intake hole is one inch from the transom

·
Registered
794 Posts
From what all the SWTD guys told me when i put mine together is. Don't cut the pod and leave the intake where it is.
Pm Futs. He will set you in the right direction. His family owned southwind.

·
Registered
19,800 Posts
ya wheres that "FUTS" dude :)Unsure

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
prolly my two biggest questions would be 1. cut the pod or not View attachment 185587 2.how far back with the intake....currently the intake hole is one inch from the transom
1. no.
2. it's fine where it is.

that said, i've never really seen anything quite this messed up. obviously, the stringers need to be replaced. but it looks like somebody took a router to the tunnel tops??? why would somebody do that??? it looks like you'll need to get that front bulkhead out to replace the stringers correctly. you also need to do some work on the transom and around the pod corners, as they will flex and crack if the corners aren't strong.
since it's completely dismantled, if you really want to go forward with this, i'd try and see how much it weighs like it is. weigh the trailer by itself, then weigh it on the trailer. or vice versa.
considering the shape it's in, i'd strongly consider cutting the cap off to work the inside of the bottom. it is a mess, and is going to need a lot of grinding, sanding, and new glass.

did you get -any- pieces/parts with this thing, or are you starting at ground zero?

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
i sold 2 swtd to tommy papp and the first thing he would do is cut 1/2 the pod off..why was that ?
it exposes the bowl, and can allow installation of a popoff. but i changed impellers many times over the years and never found it such a pita that i'd cut the pod for the tradeoff. i also ran mine over 100 many times, 111-112max, and never felt the need for a popoff.
the riding surfaces (flat areas next to the center keel) extend to the end of the pod. so when you cut the pod, you're cutting 5-6" of riding surface, which is going to reduce keel lift. there are ways to try and compensate for that, but that was always my concern when thinking about it. i still wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
1. no.
2. it's fine where it is.

that said, i've never really seen anything quite this messed up. obviously, the stringers need to be replaced. but it looks like somebody took a router to the tunnel tops??? why would somebody do that??? it looks like you'll need to get that front bulkhead out to replace the stringers correctly. you also need to do some work on the transom and around the pod corners, as they will flex and crack if the corners aren't strong.
since it's completely dismantled, if you really want to go forward with this, i'd try and see how much it weighs like it is. weigh the trailer by itself, then weigh it on the trailer. or vice versa.
considering the shape it's in, i'd strongly consider cutting the cap off to work the inside of the bottom. it is a mess, and is going to need a lot of grinding, sanding, and new glass.

did you get -any- pieces/parts with this thing, or are you starting at ground zero?
I'm thinking maybe they were going to do balsa floors and so they "notched" the tunnels and the center sponson to lay the balsa laminate in.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no router work .there is a grove that the stringers sat in.thats prolly what looks like a router cut. only tear out of the completely rotten balsa .the tops of the tunnels were balsa.stringers were soft all the way up to the front seats.the bulkhead and rest of the stringers will come out.as far as cutting the cap off.well a i guess it crossed my mind but i cant say i WANT to.prolly have to cut it off to properly fix the boat though..

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
It sounds like all of you questions are dependent on your one variable! You need to decide how much power your gonna throw at it in order to answer all the mod questions.
x2

Dont cut the pod. Leave the intake where its at. No bottom mods really needed other then a good blend job on the entry of the intake. Air entrapment plates wont hurt anything, but will help.
put the motor in the stock location, 12" drive line.
Man, you have a lot of work ahead of you. Good luck.

I would cut the cap like mentioned earlier, it will make your life alot easier to do the work you need to do. Looks like alot of wood rot in there.
Did you cut the glass off the transom wood?

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
there was glass around the corners where the pod extends past the transom.it was rotten...looked like an after thought.but apparently needs to be put back in when i rebuild.do to pod flex?..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts